View RSS Feed

Of Swimming Bondage

Clockwork awry

Rate this Entry
by , July 10th, 2011 at 06:21 PM (87 Views)
All's well that ends well and today certainly ended well, but, after a weekend (and most of the morning) of me executing my personal and family commitments with clockwork like perfection, I hit some major snags when I arrived at the USAS Arizona Sr State Championships.

• Based upon the timeline and the progress of the meet as texted to me by my daughter, I figured I'd swim:
    • 200 IM between 12:05pm and 12:10pm
    • 1500 about 16 minutes after finishing my 200 IM

• As I was seeded 12th on the psych sheet for the 1500, but knew that I couldn't swim tonight (top 8 swim as the last event before relays in finals) due to a Sunday evening work conference call, I had checked in for the 1500 with a note "prelims only."
  • The first 'clockwork awry' came when I noticed they had the 800 women / 1500 men seeded slow to fast instead of fast to slow as dictated by the meet flyer. I talked with the SAC head coach before jumping in to warmup for the 200 IM and he said he'd talk with the officials.
  • I warmed up for my 200 IM, got out and got confirmation that the 800/1500 was being reseeded for fast to slow, but then someone pointed out to me that my entry time had been changed to 40:00, along with anyone else who had elected to swim in prelims. I went to talk with the officials about this and was treated exceptionally rudely by some guy who kept asking me if I had actually read the meet flyer. He claimed (he's wrong -- see attached) that the meet flyer clearly stated that anyone who elected to swim in prelims would be swum in the slowest heat. I calmly told him that I had, in fact, read the flyer and that I had not seen that. I didn't have the flyer on hand to prove my point, but he just claimed I was wrong and that I should take it up with my coach.
    • He got all huffy that I was only talking about waiting around another 30-32 minutes. While that was fine for me personally, what I wanted to do was to get #1 child home and out of the heat 30 minutes sooner so she could chill for her 800 tonight.
    • At that point, I didn't have time to argue with him because I had to swim my 200 IM.
    • He's not a guy I've worked with before, but I have seen him run other meets in town. His actions today have assured him one less stroke & turn official to help at his meets. I couldn't get over how rudely he reacted.

• OK, so that clockwork screw-up was not my fault, but the next one I take credit for: I failed to notice that they had re-seeded the 200 IM and I missed my heat. I walked up as heat 11 went in the water, thinking I was in heat 12, lane 8. Whoops. Heat 11, lane 4.
  • At this point, I had to confess my miss to my daughters, much to their delight. I changed out of my Yingfa and settled in for a ~45/50 minute wait until my 1500. The silver lining, I told myself, was that there was a kid originally seeded at 18:04 who had also elected to swim in the prelims and he was going to be in lane 5 versus my lane 3.
    • Had either of us elected to swim at night, we would've been in lane 8 of the final heat.

Ahhh, the happy ending -- I had an awesome race with this kid, going neck and neck wire-to-wire. It would've been nice had we not had the 20+ minute seeded guy in between us, but we could each see each other throughout the race. I had instructed #2 daughter to shake the counter again at the 550 and 1050 if I wasn't under 6:00 and 12:00, respectively, as I really wanted to get under 18:00. I can't say that I felt fast at any point in the race, but I felt really solid through about the 800/900. Up to that point, I was maintaining a 2L-2L-2L-2L-3-2R-2R breathing pattern with probably a 4-ish beat kick. No counting cards were shaking through the 1050 and I was hanging with the kid (16 or 17 yrs old) well, but my core was hurting. Somewhere around the 900 or 1000, I decided to drop back to a 2 beat kick to see if I could (a) still hang with the kid and (b) save up for a sprint to the finish. I managed (a) and thought I was well-positioned for (b), but he closed better than I thought and got me by a little more than 0.2 seconds.

Still ... drum roll ... I dropped 26 seconds from my swim 3 weeks ago and went 17:49.0 (can't remember the hundredths)! My 500s were solid:

• 5:52.2
  • 5:59.2
  • 5:57.6

... and I was out in my Masters' best 800, 9:27.46. I didn't do a split request so that 800 is not official, but I'm still personally counting this swim as 2 best times!

So, the semi-bad/training news to all of this is that I have learned again what my body responds to: volume. Through Masters' Nationals in Mesa, I was pretty much chugging along at my historic Masters maximum of about 15K yard equivalents per week. Since that point, I first amped it up to about 20K average. Then, over the last 3 weeks, I went 20K, 25K and 29K before a little rest this week from Tues to Thurs. If I think back to when I swam my best in my younger career (for the 800 through 1650), it was when I was doing crazy, massive volume. I'm certainly not doing crazy volume now, but jumping up 33% to almost 100% of previous average volume (while keeping intensity high) certainly produced a good result for the 1500.

That time will have to stick for this summer, but I can see no reason why I can't go faster next year. Unlike the 400 the other night, this still wasn't a race I was able to attack the whole way. Hopefully, another year of higher volume training will leave me in position to get under 17:30 next year.

Submit "Clockwork awry" to Digg Submit "Clockwork awry" to del.icio.us Submit "Clockwork awry" to StumbleUpon Submit "Clockwork awry" to Google

Comments

Impressive swim. You really threw down the gauntlet. Your daughter has her work cut out for her now.
    Comical Greatness! Very awesome swim congrats!
    Congrats on a great swim!
    Great swim, nice time! Too bad the deck guy was such a turd.
    Very nice swim Patrick!
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    Impressive swim. You really threw down the gauntlet. Your daughter has her work cut out for her now.
    thanks, but she re-threw the gauntlet tonight by going a 9:32 in her 800 unrested. She starts taper tomorrow. I think I'm going down!
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Comical Greatness! Very awesome swim congrats!
    Thanks. Sure, it's funny now, but it wasn't fumny for awhile there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Medicine Woman
    Congrats on a great swim!
    Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Viva O Fear
    Too bad the deck guy was such a turd.
    for sure. I know he was near the end of a long, hot weekend and I respect and appreciate the work, especially since I didn't work the meet. Still, there's no need to be an a** about it. Especially when your facts are not correct.
    Agree with the others Patrick, great swim!

Too bad you missed the other event, but maybe it worked out for the best.

I took a look at that meet sheet, and I'm so glad I just do masters meets. I'd need a translator to explain that to me.
    That's a great 1500. Congratulations!
    Nice swim. Very impressive!
    Superb swim. I'm glad, really really glad, you didn't get a split request at the 800.
    Quote Originally Posted by aquageek
    Superb swim. I'm glad, really really glad, you didn't get a split request at the 800.

But, given how dangerously close my daughter is to me, I might need to enter the 800 @ the SPMA champs if I go there.
    Excellent swim (and good commentary). Sounds like your daughter is ready for a big drop, too: good luck to her.
    Nice job on the mile. Much better than when you were sick before, as I would expect!

I'm surprised you were still allowed to swim the race. I thought the rule was that if you miss an event (without doing a DFS), you are DQ'ed from the rest of the meet. We had that happen to a kid just this past weekend and I've heard of it in other instances.
    Quote Originally Posted by gdanner
    I'm surprised you were still allowed to swim the race. I thought the rule was that if you miss an event (without doing a DFS), you are DQ'ed from the rest of the meet. We had that happen to a kid just this past weekend and I've heard of it in other instances.
    They only apply that rule, here, for finals or for events in prelims that required a positive check-in. Positive check-in was not required for events 200 distance and shorter.