View RSS Feed

aztimm's training blog

Wednesday 07202011, short rest swim & weights

Rate this Entry
by , July 21st, 2011 at 01:59 AM (337 Views)
woke up sore and tired, but still trudged through and went to Mesa-Kino for the team workout this morning.
again went with Laura's non-taper group for, "Magical Wednesday"
today we were in the South Pool...and the water was warm (84+)

600 w/u and helped set up lanelines

20 x 25-- 'disappearing intervals'
* 4 @ :40
* 4 @ :35
* 4 @ :30
* 4 @ :25
* 4 @ :20
--did 1/2 breast on the 40s, 35s, and 30s

50 easy

Main set...no extra rest
1 x 100 @ 1:20
50 @ 1:00
2 x 100 @ 1:20
3 x 100 @ 1:20
4 x 100 @ 1:20
50 @ 1:40
5 x 100 @ 1:20

100 easy

kick set
25-50-75-100-75-50-25
--intervals were :30 per 25
--supposed to be strong on 25s/50s/100, but I pretty much was just surviving

200 w/d

TTL: 3400 yards

notes--
I hadn't done an evening swim/morning swim combo for a while, and now I know why. I don't have a problem doing one of them a run or weights, but doing them both the same is tough. for that matter, I don't know if I've ever done a PM/AM run or weights.
Laura tricked me...after the 25s, she asked me what the fastest interval was I could do 5 x 100s on...I said 1:20 would work, but I thought that would be it. Little did I know...
At least there was a gal in the next lane who did this with me. I began the set going 2nd behind a guy with fins, but he ended up dying on the 3rd round, so I took over as lead. was going doing it with that gal tho...we really pushed each other
we mostly treated the kick set as a social kick, chatting during.

had a kind of work day from hell. calls, fires to put out, just a mess. didn't leave until 6, and thought of just skipping gym. but then I thought it would make a great stress relief, if nothing else.

so stopped by the 24 Hour Fitness @ Mesa-Riverview on the way home and did the following--
Elliptical 100i: 14 min, 182 cal. 1.31 miles, resistance 8 to 10

Decline bench: 1 x 12 x 115, 2 x 10 x 135, 1 x 8 x 155

Star trak pec fly: 1 x 15 x 135, 1 x 12 x 165, 1 x 10 x 180, 1 x 10 x 195

Univ machine triceps rope pulldowns: 1 x 12 x 50, 1 x 10 x 60, 2 x 8 x 70

Lifefitness abdominal: 2 x 20 x 100

Hanging leg raises (from univ pullup bars): 3 x 6

Plank w forearms on roller: 2 x 1 min

Leg rolling: 3 min

after I got there I realized I packed a very wrong pair of shoes...yea they were running shoes at some point, but they must have 500+ miles on them. I use them for some walking, but really need to just get rid of them.
anyway, I realized there was no way I could run, so I did elliptical instead. felt good.
then Sean met me for weights. he had loaded up the barbell w/35s, tried to lift it, but it was too heavy for him. rather than change it out right away, I asked if I could jump on...I was antsy to lift, and that worked well for a warm-up set.
I'm actually getting the hang (literally) of those leg raises from the pull-up bars. yea it is much tougher than using the throne-thing, but I'm on a quest to work to 3 x 10

Submit "Wednesday 07202011, short rest swim & weights" to Digg Submit "Wednesday 07202011, short rest swim & weights" to del.icio.us Submit "Wednesday 07202011, short rest swim & weights" to StumbleUpon Submit "Wednesday 07202011, short rest swim & weights" to Google

Comments

Get rid of them! I cannot believe the enormous collection of old and new running shoes and trail shoes that exist in my house ...

I often see hanging leg raises listed as one of the harder abdominal/core exercises. I usually do 2-3 x 15. I want to get up to 20! You probably saw in my blog that even young strong Jazzy had a hard time with them. When you hang instead of using the captain's chair, you get the added benefit of strengthening the forearms.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Get rid of them! I cannot believe the enormous collection of old and new running shoes and trail shoes that exist in my house ...

I often see hanging leg raises listed as one of the harder abdominal/core exercises. I usually do 2-3 x 15. I want to get up to 20! You probably saw in my blog that even young strong Jazzy had a hard time with them. When you hang instead of using the captain's chair, you get the added benefit of strengthening the forearms.
    I just counted, and I have 6 pairs of running shoes I'm currently rotating through for running right now. They have various degrees of wear/tear and mileage. 2 have 50 miles or less, and 2 have 200 miles or more. In addition to those, I have trail runners, a new pair still in the box, at least 1-2 pairs in the garage for yard/misc house work, and I think I have a few just because... I still hang onto those I did my first marathon in for sentimental reasons I guess.
    One nice thing about dailymile is that you can add gear. so when I add a workout there, I click on 'green lunar glide' and that pair gets the miles added to it. My massage gal said she has 15 pairs of shoes she rotates through and keeps track of mileage in a notebook.

As for those hanging leg raises...3 x 15?
    I know you told me at least a year ago (maybe 2) that if I was able to do 3 x 15 in the captain's chair I should try the hanging version, but I resisted.
    I did 3 x 5 last week (after the hoist roc it machine), and 3 x 6 last night (after another ab machine). If I did them fresh, I may be able to do 3 x 8 right now. But I guess I'll be forced to up my goal from 3 x 10 to 3 x 15.

I played around with my body position last night. It is more work on my arms/shoulders, but if I hold about 70% upwards like a pullup to do these I don't get as much swinging. Not necessarily easier, just more stable at the top.