View RSS Feed

aztimm's training blog

Thurs 07212011, run & swim

Rate this Entry
by , July 21st, 2011 at 10:58 PM (371 Views)
although I was working from home today, I still woke up somewhat early (slept in a whopping 15 min) to get out to run before it got crazy hot. I think that point passed months ago though

here's my morning run info, from dailymile.com--
Paseo Trail, 202 to Galveston 6.17 mi 01:00 09:43 pace

Got out for a short run along the consolidated canal this morning. Took Holly with me, she did 5.25 miles. Again my Garmin said 100%, but it died after about a mile, guess time to get a new one. Thankfully I used mapmyrun also, just in case.
Was warm out, I don't know my exact pace, but I'm sure it was slow.
I did order a new Garmin, received confirmation that it shipped, and should probably get it tomorrow. I guess 2 years isn't too horrible. I opted for the same model rather than upgrade. the latest & greatest is over 2x what mine is.

made it over to the gym pool late this afternoon. just the gym that's 2 miles away...the pool is just ok. 25 yards, lanelines that are on the verge of breaking, poor lane markings. but the water was a decent temperature.
it was a little busy too...
my friend Carl was there, he had already done 1850 by the time I showed up

500 w/u
2 x 100 kick @ :15 rest

main--
5 x 200 @ 3:00
100 easy kick
5 x 150 @ 2:15
100 easy kick
5 x 100 @ 1:30
100 easy kick
5 x 50 @ :45
100 easy kick

5 x 100 pull (buoy + paddles) @ 1:20

200 w/d

TTL: 4300 yards (whoa, didn't seem like that much)

notes--
timing worked out well. Carl gave me his lane (the end lane, but still its own solo lane). then as I was finishing my 2nd 100 kick, the lane next to me opened, and he jumped over. he joined me, doing 3 x 150 @ 3:00 (mind you this was at the tail end of his set). although we're different speeds, a nice thing about swimming is you always meet at the wall
around the time Carl was finishing and left, a fast guy got there and went in the other wall lane. I've seen him before and we've chatted. he's a bit faster than I am. always nice to have some motivation...although I think he only did around 2000.
somewhere on my 200s, a woman suddenly jumped in the lane with me. I don't mind sharing--but just wait until I'm at the wall and let me know. it kind of took me by surprise. she moved over after another lane opened.
then when I was on the 50s, a rather large fellow went in the next lane and had fins on. he wasn't super fast, but he had quite a wake. I felt like driftwood...especially on my last easy kick.
I think this is my 2nd longest swim in this pool, the longest was around 5200 or so in Jan 2010. I may bitch about it, but when it comes down to it, it is rather convenient...25 yards is 25 yards.

Submit "Thurs 07212011, run & swim" to Digg Submit "Thurs 07212011, run & swim" to del.icio.us Submit "Thurs 07212011, run & swim" to StumbleUpon Submit "Thurs 07212011, run & swim" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts , Running

Comments

Mr. Fort's garmin lasted about 1 1/2 years. I didn't think that was very impressive myself. They aren't cheap!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Mr. Fort's garmin lasted about 1 1/2 years. I didn't think that was very impressive myself. They aren't cheap!
    I guess 2 years doesn't sound so bad comparatively. I've just gotten so used to having it there, that when I don't I feel almost naked.
    My replacement was around $175. I went without a new HR monitor, I recently changed out the batteries in that, and should be able to figure out how to synch it with a new device.
    I like that set. It is a nice way to get a decent amount of yardage in bite size pieces.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    I like that set. It is a nice way to get a decent amount of yardage in bite size pieces.
    Yea I liked it, had it in mind while I was driving to the gym.
    That comment sounds like something SwimsuitAddict would say