View RSS Feed

aztimm's training blog

Sunday 07242011...great run & recovery swim

Rate this Entry
by , July 24th, 2011 at 11:22 PM (316 Views)
Got out this morning for what was one of my best runs in months, despite some warm temps and humidity. Armed with my new Garmin Forerunner, I tackled nearly a 10 mile planned run--and won!

here's what I wrote on dailymile:
Paseo Trail, Cooper Rd to Paseo Vista Park 9.9 mi 01:25 08:38 pace

One of my furthest, fastest, and really best feeling runs in months. Started early, took Holly (the dog) out for the first 3.12 miles. Met up with Carl C about 1/4 mile in, and ran with him for most of the remainder. The part with Holly was a little slow (9 min/mile pace), after dropping her off we picked things up a bit (around 8:40 pace). For the last mile before Paseo Vista, a guy passed us, and Carl took the bait and ran with him for a bit. There was a nice little breeze...nothing major, but in 90F, you have to appreciate every edge you can. Felt pretty good, even to the very end. Splits: 9:06, 9:03, 8:56, 8:47, 8:31, 8:31, 8:32, 8:22, 8:28, 7:13.
This was supposed to be Carl's, "conversational pace," run, which meant he was very chatty. I was mostly going for mere survival. Along with a bunch of chatty stuff, he asked if I'd be up for a run @ South Mountain/San Juan Trail next Sunday...I told him it depended on how I did on today's run. I think I'll go for it.
He also asked if I'd be interested in doing the swim leg of a relay half Ironman; again, a 1.2 mile swim sounds pretty good to me. He said, "so you can do that in about 30 minutes?" I guess it all depends on water conditions, crowd, etc, but that should be doable (I'd secretly try for closer to 25). It isn't until October, about 3 weeks after my marathon, so should give me another milestone to shoot for this fall.

had an extremely busy day....out to breakfast, went to Road Runner Sports (got a new pair of trail runners!), Costco, then got home and gave the dog and the 2 new cats baths (giving a cat a bath is not a fun experience), I ended up going to the gym around 4pm for a recover swim.

kinda perused the blogs, but wasn't finding anything I liked. then went in the 'workouts' forum, and found this one that I modified:
[ame="http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=19203"]U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums[/ame]
(the Mon Distance/Free Pace, minus sprints)

400 w/u

8 x 50 @ :5-8 sec rest,
--odds 25 scull/25 free
--evens 25 breast/25 free

main set, 2 rounds of:
1 x 200 pull (buoy + paddles) @ 3:00
4 x 50 @ :50
8 x 25 @ :25

I threw an easy 100 kick between the rounds

100 easy

50 fast free for time (but I kept on the drag suit...31)

200 w/d

TTL: 2450 yards

notes--
was going to keep the 300/6 x 50 w/u portion, but as I was swimming, I felt I needed more warming up. then since I did 400, I figured I didn't need to scull as much and mixed in some breast.
I really liked that main set. I did the 200 pulls at 2:30, held around 37 on the 50s, and 16 or so on the 25s. Mostly kept to the pacing instructions.
Although I wasn't interested in the sprint part of the workout given, I decided I wanted a mini-sprint...so did that 50.
Generally a nice little set....a recovery with a twist.

Submit "Sunday 07242011...great run & recovery swim" to Digg Submit "Sunday 07242011...great run & recovery swim" to del.icio.us Submit "Sunday 07242011...great run & recovery swim" to StumbleUpon Submit "Sunday 07242011...great run & recovery swim" to Google

Updated July 25th, 2011 at 09:20 AM by aztimm

Categories
Swim Workouts , Running

Comments

Wonderful run! 10 miles - wow! Plus the heat itself is so taxing. I admire you fast-on-your-feet landlubbers. How do you keep from getting tight legs when you swim?
    Quote Originally Posted by chowmi
    Wonderful run! 10 miles - wow! Plus the heat itself is so taxing. I admire you fast-on-your-feet landlubbers. How do you keep from getting tight legs when you swim?
    Thanks! Like when the warm pool water cools, when the heat breaks, it will suddenly feel refreshing to run in 60-70F temps.
    To avoid the tight legs...like on Sun, I need a couple hundred of just very gradual build. Light kicking, cool water (indoor gym pool), some stretching, foam roller, and regular massage all help.

I have a marathon scheduled for Oct 9. So if you think 10 is a bit, you'll see even longer runs over the next 6-8 weeks.