View RSS Feed

aztimm's training blog

Sunday 07312011, Run @ S Mountain Park, recovery swim

Rate this Entry
by , July 31st, 2011 at 10:33 PM (201 Views)
met my friend Carl and he drove out to Phoenix South Mountain Park for our planned run this morning. Quite a difference than the usual 1-2 min jaunt to the canal, but definitely worth it.
Here's what I wrote on dailymile.com:

PHX South Mountain: San Juan Rd 11.87 mi 01:43 08:37 pace

Carl C met me at 5am and we drove over to PHX South Mountain Park for a different run this morning. It was still overcast and very humid from the storms yesterday, but the temp was in the mid-80s, not too horrible. I hadn't run hills since I was back in PA in May, and really felt it on the first 2 miles. After the turnoff for TV Tower (I wanted some hills, but not crazy hills), San Juan Rd was nice, no cars, just some bikes here and there...and some nice rolling hills. The last mile to the end is a bit of a challenge. We stopped at the end for a while...then headed back. The road back seemed worse than out. At least it stayed cloudy, even at 6:30-7am it was warm, and would have been horrible with sun. Had a few stomach issues and had to stop a few times on the way back, so the last 3 miles were solo. Splits: 8:40, 9:15, 7:59, 7:58, 8:04, 8:44, 8:25, 9:01, 9:16, 9:18, 8:38, 8:14.
Time: 01:42:35
Distance: 11.87 mi
Elevation Gain: 823 ft
Calories: 1,589 C
Avg Pace: 08:38 min/mi
Avg Moving Pace: 08:32 min/mi
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/103061522

this was definitely my most challenging run since I did the half on May 1, and I'd actually rate it on a similar level as Lost Dutchman. only this was much shorter.

one interesting tidbit, evidently Carl is into cars. he showed up to pick me up in a Nissan Skyline (like the top row, 4th across on that link). I was still tired (at 5am) that when I saw him on the passenger side I thought someone else must be driving, and I'd have to climb in the back. Only he was on the driver's side...which is on the right (a made-for-Japan model).
after the run, as we were leaving S Mountain Park, there were 2 guys on motorcycles just ahead of us. somehow they must have stopped...we ran into them at a light a few miles later, they were eyeing up the car. of course when the light turned green, Carl had to show them (and me) what his turbo could do--and thankfully traffic was light and there weren't any cops around. I told him if he had done it earlier, I probably wouldn't have held down all the water I chugged after the run.

anyway, after mostly just lounging around all day, I went over to the Chandler 24 Hour Fitness for what was mostly a recovery swim:

500 w/u
2 x 100 kick @ :15 rest

3 x 200 @ 3:00
100 easy kick
4 x 150 @ 2:15
100 easy kick
5 x 100 @ 1:30
100 easy kick
6 x 50 @ :45

200 pull, 75 free/25 breast

200 w/d

TTL: 3400 yards

pool was pretty busy most of the time. I started out in the open area, next to the laneline, but eventually got to move over to a real lane on my 150s.
there was a guy there, not particularly fast, but doing lots of fly, causing quite a bit of turbulence in the pool. my 100s easy kick were quite challenging because of that.
water felt ok, not as cold as I'd like, and still a little cloudy, though not as bad as Thursday.

I was playing around with dailymile earlier, and separated out just my swimming and running for the past 26 weeks. off the top of my head, I'd say I was running too much, especially early this year, with not enough recovery after the marathon (which was in week 8. my goal now is to gently up my mileage to 40-45 for my big week, a nice 3 week taper, then the marathon in Oct. then a gradual re-buildup for the next marathon in Jan, possibly doing the half in Dec.
my swimming kind of surprised me. I started back with the team in week 24, and have kept my mileage at 11+ per week (the graph doesn't include today's swim above).
oh, and dailymile does weeks as Mon-Sun, have no idea why, that's just the way they do it.
Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SwimWeeklyTraining2011_Wks6to31.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	6736   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WeeklyTraining2011_Wks6to31.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	6737  

Submit "Sunday 07312011, Run @ S Mountain Park, recovery swim" to Digg Submit "Sunday 07312011, Run @ S Mountain Park, recovery swim" to del.icio.us Submit "Sunday 07312011, Run @ S Mountain Park, recovery swim" to StumbleUpon Submit "Sunday 07312011, Run @ S Mountain Park, recovery swim" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts , Running

Comments