View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

WR Rebound, Day 2 Nats

Rate this Entry
Day 2 started off a little rough, but ended with an unexpected bang. As Geek said, the next race could be your best race.

50 fly, 1st, 31.5:

I was quite tired when I got to the pool and warmed up. I kept telling myself to go for the win and not worry about my time. I did win and my time was mediocre. My stroke felt somewhat choppy and I tightened up the entire last 10 meters. The last 3 strokes were dreadful. My back foot also slipped on the start and I didn't get the best push off. If I couldn't SDK, I would have been dead in the water. I was also slightly
deep on my breakout. These errors and my general lack of long course conditioning may have cost me up to second. Plenty of room for improvement.

I haven't checked, but I think this might be the slowest I've swum in 4 years? Fortunately, not another personal worst. I swam this event two years ago and almost 2 seconds faster in Indy. Then, I had a Jaked and had swum long course with my team and a lot of 50 flys in practice. If I want to train SCY for a fast 50 fly long course, with my kicks, I'd need to do more 100s in
practice. I actually enjoy practicing long course
as a breather from all the turns in short course, so I'm hoping to swim more with my team next summer.

I was interviewed by the gregarious and ebullient Misty Hyman moments after stepping out of the pool. I now have no recollection of almost anything I said. Lol. But I recall one grave error. I said I love my masters swimming friends, which I do!, but I forgot to mention how much I love being able to train like a sprinter and compete in 50s -- something I never got to do as
a kid. I also looked like a complete dork with
the vicious goggle marks on my head. (I tighten my goggles for races after having had issues in the past.

50 back, 1st place, new WR 32.5
Previous record from 2002 32.8

After a somewhat mediocre 50 fly, I didn't have high hopes for my 50 back. Again, the goal was just to win. Based on fly, I expected to swiim a high 33 or so. That's about what I went last summer with not the best training. I sat around for what seemed like forever, though I loved watching the racing from the view in the bleachers. But after the rest and a cup of
coffee, I didn't feel quite as weary. About 25-30 minutes before my race, I hopped in the pool and swam 100 with burst dolphin. Then, I basically hoped for the best. Though I'm always very fidgety before my races -- sprinter mojo -- it was the most relaxed I'd been at the meet.

And then we were off! I had my trademark start. Good reaction time, not too deep, and high cycles SDKs to the 14.9 meter mark. . Not entirely sure, but I had a pretty big lead at this point -- maybe 3/4 to a body length lead. If you can do this, no one can catch you in a 50! Then I basically channelled Tancock. I had a very high stroke rate -- I almost felt like I was spinning at times. But, happily, I didn't die much the last ten meters as I expected. Whew! My finish was not stellar; basically whacked my hand at the top of the touchpad. But I didn't want to glide. I feel like it could have been smoother, but I havent swum that much straight backstroke in the mini pool.

I was extremely happy to look up and see that time! Much better swim than my 50 fly. Wally Dicks said I was "bookin'.". Rob Butcher asked how on earth I can dolphin kick like that. (The answer is of course that you must train sprint dolphin kick.) So I was thrilled! And unexpectedly so. That swim made my meet; tomorrow doesn't matter much to me; this was my chief goal this summer. This was my second fastest time as a masters swimmer, second to my swim in Indy. But this is my fastest textile
suit swim by almost a second.

-----------------------------------------------------

Now as to tomorrow, I'm signed up for 100 back and 50 free. I'm not sure I want to swim the 100 back. I don't want a repeat of my 100 fly disaster and I'm pretty sure it would compromise my 50 free. I want to see when it's offered at the Terrapin Cup. If the 50 fly is Saturday (yes, I'm trying again!) and the 100 bsckstroke is Sunday, it might make sense to save it for then. On the other hand, I don't be essrily want to give up a chance to swim for National championship. I could always redo the 50 free later too. I'll see how I feel in the am.

They're telling us to add an extra half hour to get to the pool tomorrow am because of graduation ceremonies at 10 and 1. If this means 30 minutes of walking from a parking space, that could decide the matter.

The only sour note of the day is that someone apparently stole my iPhone after my 50 back. . I checked at lost and found and it wasn't there. I'll check again tomorrow. But it sucks that a masters swimmer could do that.

Submit "WR Rebound, Day 2 Nats" to Digg Submit "WR Rebound, Day 2 Nats" to del.icio.us Submit "WR Rebound, Day 2 Nats" to StumbleUpon Submit "WR Rebound, Day 2 Nats" to Google

Updated August 5th, 2011 at 11:48 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Masters Swim Meets / Events

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nice swimming today! I say give it a go on your 100 Back. You seem to be feeling good on your back, so just take it a little easier going out, and 10 Meter SDK on the turn, and build your kick to the finish.

50 Free is just a 50 Free. Sprint it and have fun!! Or do a fly do-over just for the heck of it!!

Sorry about the phone. People suck!
    I know people suck. But I don't want masters swimmers to suck.

You do not understand the fragile sprinter physiology or psychology! An ideal 50 can easily be wrecked by the encroachment of other events. Less is more to us. But I do agree that it is just freestyle. . :-)
    Great job Leslie. I hope USMS posts video footage of your 50 back world record swim-would love to see you in action. Congratulations!!!
    Fantastic swims! That WR is incredible, especially since you haven't swum much long course this year.

Didn't you already lose an iPhone, at a movie theater if I remember? I was a little leery of mine at the meet I did, but I just stuck it in my shorts, put them in my bag, and it was fine.
    Who knows, maybe you'll get it back. Have you tried calling it? (I assume you have a lock code)
    Great swims! It's been so fun following your blogs for the last several months (since before CDN Nats), reading about your highs and lows, and now seeing the culminating result - a World Record! Congrats!
    World record! Hell yeah. Skip the 100 back. The endurance isn't there for you, and the 50 free is a very very important event.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    50 Free is just a 50 Free.
    What?
    Best swim by far a day an a half into the meet? I think you are a distance swimmer who just takes a while to get warmed up

Congrats!

I kept telling myself to go for the win and not worry about my time.
    You really should adopt this. There are probably a lot of rivalries in masters swimmers that keep competition fun for people who aren't setting records and are no longer making time drops. It is always fun to beat your buddy and if you lose you raise a beer (a BEER, not natty light ICE) in their honor. So much simpler than worrying about times.
    Congrats on your swim! It was fun to see you on the recap video.
    Great swims! Congrats.
    Quote Originally Posted by kwhenderson
    Great job Leslie. I hope USMS posts video footage of your 50 back world record swim-would love to see you in action. Congratulations!!!
    Thx Kristin! I don't think USMS is posting video coverage. Rob said they were counting on people to bring their flips and working on the recap videos instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Fantastic swims! That WR is incredible, especially since you haven't swum much long course this year.

Didn't you already lose an iPhone, at a movie theater if I remember? I was a little leery of mine at the meet I did, but I just stuck it in my shorts, put them in my bag, and it was fine.
    Who knows, maybe you'll get it back. Have you tried calling it? (I assume you have a lock code)
    Thanks Tim!

I did lose an iPhone a cole years ago at a movie theater. I should have been more careful. Tried calling it. I'll check lost and found again. It feels really strange to be completely out if contact.
    Quote Originally Posted by lewba
    Great swims! It's been so fun following your blogs for the last several months (since before CDN Nats), reading about your highs and lows, and now seeing the culminating result - a World Record! Congrats!
    Thanks so much Barry! Swimming is like life -- always the highs and lows. But it was very satisfying to see all the speed work pay off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Hands;
    World record! Hell yeah. Skip the 100 back. The endurance isn't there for you, and the 50 free is a very very important event.
    Still undecided. 50 free hasn't been a very good event for me the past year or more. And 100 back is easier than 100 fly -- no chance of DQ-ing. I could just swim tactically instead of or the best possible time. On the other hand, it's day three. Not sure how much is left in the tank, though I slept decently.
    Updated August 6th, 2011 at 10:27 AM by The Fortress
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Hands
    What?
    Just a mid D type way of thinking ... They are not built like us and can't understand how our fast twitch body react.

But it would be nice if they recognized thst 50s are just as important as 200s, just different. Cue chowmi!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by brain
    Best swim by far a day an a half into the meet? I think you are a distance swimmer who just takes a while to get warmed up

You really should adopt this. There are probably a lot of rivalries in masters swimmers that keep competition fun for people who aren't setting records and are no longer making time drops. It is always fun to beat your buddy and if you lose you raise a beer (a BEER, not natty light ICE) in their honor. So much simpler than worrying about times.

I think when all else fails, I still have backstroke. And it's much easier than fly in long course!

It is a good way to think. I'm glad I set a few of the records I had my eye on so now I can proceed with the not worrying about times as much and drinking wine. Started with water rat last night!
    Thanks Katie and MW. I haven't seen the recap yet. Must go watch!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Just a mid D type way of thinking ... They are not built like us and can't understand how our fast twitch body react.

But it would be nice if they recognized thst 50s are just as important as 200s, just different. Cue chowmi!!!
    I think you two misunderstood James, he is a Zen Buddhist of the Rock is a Rock sect.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Started with water rat last night!
    I didn't miss opportunities to swim fast at nationals, just opportunities to drink wine with friends. Enjoy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Hands
    Made up my mind. Scratching. I don't have it in me right now, and it would likely trash my legs and end my meet. Im not retiring from this event, so I have other chances. I can float through it Sunday at the Terrapin Cup if I'm so inclined.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast