View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Something Besides Swimming! Aug. 10

Rate this Entry
Bike, 30 minutes


Drylands:

RC exercises
flutter kicks on bosu, 2 x 100
back extensions w/plate, 25 x 2 x 15
power wheel roll outs, 2 x 15
power wheel pike ups, 2 x 10
hanging leg raises, 3 x 10
push press, 40 x 2 x 10
goblet squat, 55 x 2 x 10


Stretching, 20 minutes

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No time for a swim today with Lil Fort having friends over, and mentally I needed a break! All I've done for weeks is swim, swim, swim. I need to mix it up more so that I'm feeling excited about getting to the pool and more ferocious once I'm there.

I did mostly a core workout at the gym today. I want to ease back into drylands and not ramp up until after my meet. (As it is, I'm sure I'll feel the effects of the power wheel.) After the meet, I may take a few days off -- from the pool, not exercise.

Was interviewed by Swimming World TV today via skype. It's going to air next Monday. He asked me quite a bit about SDKs -- not surprising! Right after me they talked to Allen Stark and you can watch him on Tuesday. For my interview, they warned me that I wouldn't see the interviewer on my computer screen. They didn't explain why (and didn't do this with Allen), and it was rather odd talking to just my computer screen. Hopefully, I won't look too foolish. lol Jimby said he has done the same thing before.

Here's the list of WRs set at Nationals: http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com...urse-Nationals. Interestingly, only 3 of the records were broken by swimmers under 50. All three are Olympians (Gangloff, Chris, and Noriko Inada). The tech suit records aren't easy to crack!

Submit "Something Besides Swimming!  Aug. 10" to Digg Submit "Something Besides Swimming!  Aug. 10" to del.icio.us Submit "Something Besides Swimming!  Aug. 10" to StumbleUpon Submit "Something Besides Swimming!  Aug. 10" to Google

Updated August 11th, 2011 at 09:58 AM by The Fortress

Categories
Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Spinning

Comments

  1. tjrpatt's Avatar
    oh cool, can't wait to watch it.
  2. pwb's Avatar
    Remind us again when it goes live. Way cool for you.
  3. Water Rat's Avatar
    I just realized I won't be around Sunday to swim. Any chance you can swim Saturday morning?
  4. jim thornton's Avatar
    Most of these world records were also done by people aging up to the next bracket. I am pretty sure that is the case with Laura Val. Larry Day, who I swam with at Michigan, only competes every 5 years or so, and he is so good (at fly especially) that he invariably sets WRs when he does.

    Chris Stevenson may be one of the few exceptions here, not completely sure.

    What would be interesting to see is how these WRs compare with the person's times of two years ago, when most presumably were using the tech suits.

    Masters WR in this regard are not like actual WR. To swimmers like Rich Abrahams, Jim McConica, Jack Groselle, Laura Val, Leslie, Chris, Michael Ross, etc. generally set new WRs every time they move up the age ladder. Records like Rich's set in tech suits may be very, very hard for others to break.
  5. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    I just realized I won't be around Sunday to swim. Any chance you can swim Saturday morning?
    At Pitt? What time?
  6. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jim thornton
    Most of these world records were also done by people aging up to the next bracket. I am pretty sure that is the case with Laura Val. Larry Day, who I swam with at Michigan, only competes every 5 years or so, and he is so good (at fly especially) that he invariably sets WRs when he does.

    Chris Stevenson may be one of the few exceptions here, not completely sure.

    What would be interesting to see is how these WRs compare with the person's times of two years ago, when most presumably were using the tech suits.

    Masters WR in this regard are not like actual WR. To swimmers like Rich Abrahams, Jim McConica, Jack Groselle, Laura Val, Leslie, Chris, Michael Ross, etc. generally set new WRs every time they move up the age ladder. Records like Rich's set in tech suits may be very, very hard for others to break.

    Laura did age up. Like Chris, Noriko broke her own records.

    Even aging up, some of the tech suit times, especially in yards, look nearly impossible to me. My times have been much slower in long course the last two years than short course, which tends to reinforce my belief that if you can kick, you won't be as effected in short course. But who really knows? So many factors are work in each swim.
  7. Water Rat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    At Pitt? What time?
    SEWY 8am? They have lessons starting at 9am. I have to leave for 7 Springs at noon.
  8. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    SEWY 8am? They have lessons starting at 9am. I have to leave for 7 Springs at noon.
    I think that's just too early for me coming from Mt Lebanon. I need to get some sleep for the day ahead at Kennywood with Lil Fort + many cousins.
  9. Water Rat's Avatar
    No sweat. It's only 5 minutes from me. NP doesn't open until 11:30. Too late for me unfortunately. Pitt is closed on the weekends, as far as I know. Next time. Enjoy Kennywood!!! My 7 year old did ALL the roller coasters there. Will you???
  10. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    No sweat. It's only 5 minutes from me. NP doesn't open until 11:30. Too late for me unfortunately. Pitt is closed on the weekends, as far as I know. Next time. Enjoy Kennywood!!! My 7 year old did ALL the roller coasters there. Will you???
    Roller coasters are my very favorite! I wouldn't want to go without them!

    Wait, your 7 year old is tall enough for the Phantom?!
  11. Water Rat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Wait, your 7 year old is tall enough for the Phantom?!
    Susan and I grow 'em tall. Susan's 5'11"
  12. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    Susan and I grow 'em tall. Susan's 5'11"
    Wow! No wonder she's a good swimmer!

    I think Lil Fort first went on it last summer.
  13. Bobinator's Avatar
    Very Cool Leslie!!! Where do I go to watch this interview? I can't wait!
    When do your kids start school? When does Fortson leave for college?
  14. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobinator
    Very Cool Leslie!!! Where do I go to watch this interview? I can't wait!
    When do your kids start school? When does Fortson leave for college?
    I'm told it airs on Monday.

    My daughters start school on Sept. 6, right after Labor Day. Fort Son goes up to Hanover for his freshman trip (hiking) on Sept. 4. He's done and moves in the 8th and then freshman orientation week starts on the 14th. Dartmouth doesn't start until Sept. 21-- very late on the quarter system. He's so ready to go!