View RSS Feed

Elise's Fitness Fun

Longest workout in over a year!!

Rate this Entry
by , August 12th, 2011 at 11:44 PM (1873 Views)
Swam with the older group this afternoon. They just got back in the pool starting on Wednesday after a 6 week break, so I figured now was the best time to join them.

I got to warm-up late, but was able to do a little bit of one. I was really tired after this workout, but relieved I could get through it.

Warm-up: 400 swim, 200 kick

6 x 200 free on 3:00 (used paddles on even swims)

400 I.M. kick
1 minute rest
4 x 200 free on 3:00 (used paddles on even swims)

300 I.M. kick
1 minute rest
2 x 200 free on 3:00 (no paddles)

100 easy

500 free pull with paddles and buoy

200 easy

4500 SCY

Thoughts:

1. It was my choice to use paddles on the 200 free swims. I felt like I was dropping my elbow on swims without them and so wearing the paddles forced me to have better form. Tomorrow, if I can get my swim in, I plan to follow Fort's suggestion of using fins and working my legs. No paddles tomorrow.

2. Discovered where my lower back stuff is coming from. I breathe on one side because the pool chemistry is not the greatest and thus, have to breathe every stroke. May use my inhaler next time to so that I can make attempt at breathing every three. My left side is not happy with the constant "twisting."

3. Encouraged I could make it through the workout. Hope to get in once a week with this group to get an endurance workout. Plan to make my other workouts between 2,000 to 3,000 yards and focus mainly on technique.

Submit "Longest workout in over a year!!" to Digg Submit "Longest workout in over a year!!" to del.icio.us Submit "Longest workout in over a year!!" to StumbleUpon Submit "Longest workout in over a year!!" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Have you tried using a snorkel, Elise? It's a love-hate thing in the swimming population, but it would help with your breathing/twisting issue until your back/core gets used to the swimming movements again.
    Back to your last post, I would suggest planks and hanging knee raises. Play with the positions to keep from getting bored and go for time instead of reps.

One thing Rich Abrahams does he calls a suit case carry. It is actually an isometric exercise, but he manages to use distance instead of time, so you have something different to focus on. Take something heavy that you can carry in one hand like a suitcase or a dumbbell, and walk with perfect posture X distance. Change hands and walk back.

Another easy one. Whenever you are sitting (at a desk, at dinner, etc) sit forward on the chair, perfect posture, belly button to spine. Ok, not the easiest to do, just easiest to fit into your day.

Good luck with your back, hope to see you at a 2012 Nationals.
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo
    Have you tried using a snorkel, Elise? It's a love-hate thing in the swimming population, but it would help with your breathing/twisting issue until your back/core gets used to the swimming movements again.
    Great idea! I never would have thought about that if you had not mentioned it! Any suggestions on types of snorkels?

Thanks for the suggestion!
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Back to your last post, I would suggest planks and hanging knee raises. Play with the positions to keep from getting bored and go for time instead of reps.

One thing Rich Abrahams does he calls a suit case carry. It is actually an isometric exercise, but he manages to use distance instead of time, so you have something different to focus on. Take something heavy that you can carry in one hand like a suitcase or a dumbbell, and walk with perfect posture X distance. Change hands and walk back.

Another easy one. Whenever you are sitting (at a desk, at dinner, etc) sit forward on the chair, perfect posture, belly button to spine. Ok, not the easiest to do, just easiest to fit into your day.

Good luck with your back, hope to see you at a 2012 Nationals.
    Thanks for the info on exercises, qbrain! That hanging exercise looks tough, but I will definitely try it. How long do you think I should hold my planks? How long do you think I should do the hanging knee raises?
    Quote Originally Posted by elise526
    Thanks for the info on exercises, qbrain! That hanging exercise looks tough, but I will definitely try it. How long do you think I should hold my planks? How long do you think I should do the hanging knee raises?

Umm... As long as you can... and then add more time?

If your abs last longer than your forearms, you are not in too bad of shape
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Umm... As long as you can... and then add more time?

If your abs last longer than your forearms, you are not in too bad of shape
    If I can do this and what Speedo suggests, I may just get back into shape! Will see how it goes. Bring on the pain!
    Quote Originally Posted by elise526
    Great idea! I never would have thought about that if you had not mentioned it! Any suggestions on types of snorkels?

Thanks for the suggestion!
    Here's the one I use and would recommend:
    http://www.swimoutlet.com/ProductDet...029&color=9343
    The bend forces you to keep your head in a neutral position and also helps keep the thing on your head during turns with the lower profile. I haven't tried other snorkels but I do love this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo
    Here's the one I use and would recommend:
    http://www.swimoutlet.com/ProductDet...029&color=9343
    The bend forces you to keep your head in a neutral position and also helps keep the thing on your head during turns with the lower profile. I haven't tried other snorkels but I do love this one.
    Thanks, Speedo! When I get one, this is the one I will go with.