View RSS Feed

Ande's Swimming Blog

Tue Aug 16th 2011 scy

Rate this Entry
Tue Aug 16th 2011 scy

When I arrived at practice today in the parking garage, my rear passenger side tire was hissing, but I left to swim and sure enough when I was done and back at my car the tire was flat. At least I was in the shade.

Did a tiny double yesterday
showed up noon practice around 12:30 &
did 2 rounds of 5 x 200 on 3:00
held faster paces than I did in the a.m. work out

Got a couple team notices from Whitney which are at the end of this post

Subscribe to Ande's Swimming Blog

Whitney Coached
UT, main pool scy
6:30 to 8:00 dove in 6:33ish
wore FS II legs
swam with Max
Beside tyler, Todd, Larry, Chris, Korey, & Mike

WARM UP
did 900
had weird accident in warm up, i was swimming freestyle and the guy in the lane beside mine swimming breastroke kicked my right forearm as I was doing a pull. I still hurts and think it might bruise.

Main SET: scy

4 rounds of:

4 x 200 fr on 2:50 82% effort right into
4 x 50 on 1:00 done 25 fast IM order, 25 easy
1:40 break

held em all under 2:11 most 2:09 or better
tried to stay true to 82%
went 2:02 on last one in 4th round

2 x 200 on 2:30 cruise

Emails from Whitney:

Sent: Sunday, August 14, 2011 11:26 AM
Subject: [txla-masters] Masters information

Team,

I wanted to take a few minutes to personally thank everyone for being a part of the Longhorn Masters program. I am very proud to be your coach and Iím grateful to all of you for being active members of the program. I believe we have one of the best and most diverse programs in the country. In order to keep our program operating at this high level, it is necessary for us to make a few changes this year. It is critically important that we have up to date information on all swimmers and that everyone is registered with USMS to limit liability. Because we have seen cost increases across the board, it was unfortunately necessary for us to restructure the workout schedule and raise the fees by 3% for the first time in over 5 years. I hope you can understand that sometimes change is necessary to maintain the elite program we have all grown to love and expect. I have looked at other programs in the area and with 11 swim practices per week for $72/month and the option for a 10 swim/$100 punch card our program is still the best value around. In addition, we have access to one of the best facilities in the country and I hope we have some of the best coaching around. Thank you for your continued support and please let me know if there are ways we can continue to maintain the quality of our program.

Each year, we have swimmers on the team that accomplish amazing feats in competition. We have many of the top triathletes and swimmers in the country as part of our program. I wanted to highlight some recent examples of this excellence. Please congratulate your training partners the next time you see them.

I would like to congratulate Larry Wood, Don Murff, and Jim Sauer on their great performances at the Masters Nationals at Auburn.

Don 70-74 age group
1st 50 free
1st 100 free
1st 200 free
1st 50 back
2nd 200 IM
4th 50 breast

Larry 55-59 age group
2nd 800 free
2nd 400 IM
3rd 200 free
5th 400 free
7th 200 IM

Jim Sauer 50-54 age group
1st 200 IM
1st 400 IM
1st 100 fly

Also, I would like to congratulate(sorry so late) the two World Record setting relays from Longhorn Aquatics Masters

400 free relay
Tyler Blessing
Ande Rasmussen
Mike Varozza
Chris Eckerman

400 medley relay
Chris Eckerman
Todd Bartee
Tyler Blessing
Mike Varozza

Katy Dooley has the Catalina Channel Swim coming up on Sept 2nd. The swim starts at midnight and is 21 miles long. Good luck Katy we know you will be awesome.

Lastly, I want to say how much I appreciate everyone's participation and how much I enjoy getting to know everyone. I do tend to ask many questions about your life (just because I care) and I give you crazy glances into my life. These interactions make it fun for me and I hope give you a sense of community as well. I think it is one of the things that helps set our program a part from others and keeps people coming back as often as they can.

I hope to see all of you continue to work out at Longhorn Aquatics.

Sincerely,

Whitney Hedgepeth

~ ~ ~

From: Whitney Hedgepeth Sent: Monday, August 15, 2011 7:53 PM
Subject: [txla-masters] more masters stuff

On Saturday, August 20th those swimmers who want to do a 5k or 10k postal swim will have the opportunity. It will be long course and you can start at 7:00 am and we have the pool until 10:00 am. You will need to provide your own timer and counter. Otherwise, we will have a normal 7:30-9am workout on Saturday.

Starting next week, Mon August 22nd
all M W F mornings will be 6:00-7:30 am and
T TH will remain 6:30-8:00am.

I hope this will allow more people to get in some practice before work.

See you at the pool.

Whitney

p.s. Great job this morning.
There were 46 of you who did the 20x200 or 175 or 150. Way to go.

~ ~ ~
Blog readers:

Should I go postal this Saturday or do the regular work out?

If I go postal, should I do the 5 or 10k?

How should I prepare for it between now and Saturday?
Anyone got any tips?

My last 2 LCM postal swims:

Sat May 30th, 2009 LCM Swam a 10k today

Sat June 6th 2009 swam a 5k this morning

Did 2 Postal Hr Swims in Jan 2011, & 1 in 2009:

Sun Jan 23rd, 2010 Went Postal

Sun Jan 30th 2011 HR Postal Swim take 2

1 hour postal swim January 24th, 2009

Submit "Tue Aug 16th 2011 scy" to Digg Submit "Tue Aug 16th 2011 scy" to del.icio.us Submit "Tue Aug 16th 2011 scy" to StumbleUpon Submit "Tue Aug 16th 2011 scy" to Google

Updated August 16th, 2011 at 05:21 PM by ande

Categories
Swim Workouts , Planning

Comments