View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Wed., Feb 25

Rate this Entry
by , February 25th, 2009 at 07:03 PM (3189 Views)
Hectic day ...

AM: 30 minutes on my indoor cycle between bursts of work this am.

(I've done my usual canvassing and been told that cycling does not aggravate hips unless your heel "floats" on the pedals. Geek says he's had no issues in his spin classes.)

PM: 4 mile run

(Didn't bother my hip as much as last week. )

Going to force myself to do my RC exercises while watching Lost tonight. Lifting and swimming tomorrow. Need to steal a workout.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ugh, just found out I have to get up at 4:00 am tomorrow to take my kid to morning practice. They're doing lactate testing. Hate early morning practice. Makes me secretly wish my kid would quit swimming. lol

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm also wondering how people know so much about lifting ... Did you go to weight lifting school? Where do you learn this stuff?

Submit "Wed., Feb 25" to Digg Submit "Wed., Feb 25" to del.icio.us Submit "Wed., Feb 25" to StumbleUpon Submit "Wed., Feb 25" to Google

Updated February 25th, 2009 at 07:37 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    How about Tom's from 2-15?
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    How about Tom's from 2-15?
    Har har. Yeah, 7000 is right up my alley ... Not! I am contemplating one of Chris' workouts I liked from awhile ago. Can't do any of Ande's as he's just floating around now.
    Did you just call Ande a noodler?
    Uh, guess I did. Well, he's a very fast noodler if he's going 23.3s in practice.
    Yeah, and he wasn't even going forward.
    Interesting that they told you that pedal float was bad for your hips. Why is that, I wonder?

When I was rehabilitating after my last knee surgery -- about 4 years ago -- my PT was adamant that I never in my life get on a bike unless there was sufficient pedal float.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stevenson
    Interesting that they told you that pedal float was bad for your hips. Why is that, I wonder?

When I was rehabilitating after my last knee surgery -- about 4 years ago -- my PT was adamant that I never in my life get on a bike unless there was sufficient pedal float.
    I heard this from an ortho who is helping Mr. Fort with a hip issue from running. I'll have to ask why. Maybe there's a difference between knees and hips? Do most cyclists float their heels?
    Fort, I learned about lifting from a lot of reading, a few years of experience, and talking to other people about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Hands
    Fort, I learned about lifting from a lot of reading, a few years of experience, and talking to other people about it.
    When you're interested in something, you're really intense about learning about it. Wait till I start grilling you more about nutrition.
    Nutrition, now there's a huge subject. I know more than most people, but it's so complicated, and experts can never really agree. Also my personal experience is lacking, since my diet was basically see-food before last year.
    People "learn" about lifting from books, the internet, and talking to knowledgeable people. There is also watching random people do random things in the gym, that I don't consider learning. As you might imagine, that is like going to open lap swim to learn how to train.

I would be uncomfortable squatting on a smith machine because you have such a limited range of motion, plus it does not engage your favorite muscle group, THE CORE.

There should not be a benefit to using the smith machine over not using the smith machine. If you are worried about injury starting out, you are starting with too much weight. The benefit of not using the smith machine is the recruitment of just about every muscle in your body to do a full squat.

If you want to lift heavy without building up the strength of all the stabilizing muscles, then just use machines. Machines are not evil, but you will get some decent benefit from lifting a weight that has a free range of motion that you have to keep under control.

When you are lifting enough that you are worried about safety, make sure you have a good spot, or lift in a cage with the safety set correctly.
    Ads by Google P.I.N.K. fitness is what you need Fort!
    I'm scared to google that, Q ...

All right, I'm convinced, I'll start very lightly without the Smith machine. I've googled goblet squats and those look fine as well. Tried a few and they didn't seem to bother the hip.

What is your opinion on the bosu? I've done some whacky exercise a trainer showed me with a bosu and double cable free motion machine: you do squats on the flat side of the bosu while pulling weight from the cables. That seemed to engage a lot of muscles. I'm thinking most weight lifters hate the bosu ...

I've clearly been neglecting the lower body with my only very sporadic squatting.
    Updated February 25th, 2009 at 10:40 PM by The Fortress
    Leslie: One Word. Well, one phrase:

The Jim Thornton School of Hands On Weight Lifting Instruction, Core Stabilization, and Groin Work for Women.

Our prices are reasonable. Our service outstanding. Our results guaranteed.

If you don't see radical changes to your body in exactly 9 months from your first visit, we will pay for a visit to the obstetrican to find out what's wrong with you.

Tell your friends. Waiting list is growing!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Do most cyclists float their heels?
    Just to make sure we're on the same page: "float" is the rotational freedom that your foot has when it is locked onto the pedal.

On my road bike I have the Look pedal system and it has plenty of float for me -- at least, I haven't had any knee problems as a result of it. I haven't played around with a lot of other systems that cyclists use, I know that Speedplays -- a popular choice among my friends -- has a ton of float.

Most spinning bikes use the Shimano SPD system. I have them as well and only use them for spinning classes. Although there is some rotational freedom, there isn't as much as with my Looks.

Obviously if you use the straps then you won't have much float.

I haven't had hip problems but I would think the number one consideration -- more than float -- would be proper positioning of the saddle.
    I'll have to ask, Chris. I don't know anything about cycling myself, although I do vaguely understand "float." It was just recommended as some cross training for Mr. Fort with that anti-floating caveat.

Jim,

Sounds more fun than lunging! I'll wait for your next vlog on that topic. However, I think that "radical change to your body" thing will hold little appeal for female swimmers. We're already bothered enough by the enlargement of our backs and shoulders. Perhaps you should pitch the pregnancy helps you swim fast angle?
    Updated February 25th, 2009 at 10:42 PM by The Fortress
    O.o
    Updated February 26th, 2009 at 11:00 PM by SwimStud
    Leslie,

Here is some wonderful information on strength training for women (well anyone really).

http://www.stumptuous.com/
    No opinion on the bosu, but in general, the more complicated the lift, the more opportunity for error and injury. I am anti-crazy things in the gym.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwolf66
    Leslie,

Here is some wonderful information on strength training for women (well anyone really).

http://www.stumptuous.com/
    Thanks for the links, Paul. Good thing I'll "look better naked" too. lol
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast