View RSS Feed

Elise's Fitness Fun

Having fun with the kids

Rate this Entry
by , August 17th, 2011 at 08:17 PM (1689 Views)
In a small city, there aren't many organized adult swim clubs or run clubs, so often the best option is training with the kids. I did this a couple of years ago in training for the 2010 SCY Nationals and really enjoyed it. I've now done 3 practices with the kids (2 swim, 1 run) in my return from the couch and have found I really enjoy it. I try to be encouraging to the kids without taking over the coach's role. This can sometimes be hard because there are times I am tempted to whine. The kids seem to enjoy having me there, so it works out pretty well.

Monday I had a rest day. This next year I plan to take at least one day. In light of my age and various health issues, I think this will work to my benefit. Hopefully, I will not get broken down, will stay pretty healthy, and will not get injured.

Tuesday I did a little bit of track work. My son does cross country and this is the day they hit the track. The group of kids ranges from 7th to 12th grade. For the track workout, however, some adults in their forties come out there as well. The coach had mentioned to me that it would be cool to have a woman out there involved with the kids, but I am trying to keep a little bit of distance given that my son is on the team. I told the coach that I might come out and do some speed with them once a week. So, yesterday, I did a little bit of the track workout. I had to situate some things first, so I missed the first two 400s and first 800 getting my warm-up in. I know I am not quite in shape to be doing these, so kept the effort at about 75%.

Warm-up: easy 800

800 - don't know what my time was, but tried to keep an even and long stride

400 - 1:36

1:00 rest

400 - 1:42

right into 800 easy jog

1.5 miles

I liked the fact that without me saying anything, my son started trying harder once I was out there. I had fun encouraging the kids, especially when they passed me.

Today, swam with the senior group down at the Y. Late for warm-up as usual and had to miss the last set in practice, but still got some decent yardage in. Really liked this workout. One thing I discovered -I stink with fins. I just havent' figured this out. I asked the coach about this because I am a pretty decent kicker without the fins. He thought it was the type of fins. I just think there is some weakness or something off about how I am kicking. The same people I can soundly beat on a kick set without fins kill me when it comes time to putting on the fins. Oh well. Hung in there best I could. I did, however, feel really strong on the last set I did in practice. Maybe there is hope for my 100 I.M.

Warm-up: 200 free swim
300 non-free swim
200 free

500 pull (paddles and pull buoy) DPS - count stokes per 50 and try to maintain throught 500. Was able to hold 24to 25 strokes per 50 for first 300, but it detiorated to 28 by the last 50 of the 500.

3 x 100 kick with fins - 20 sec rest
1 x 300 free - no fins -45 sec rest
2 x 200 kick with fins - 20 sec rest
1 x 200 free - no fins - 45 sec rest
1 x 300 kick with fins - 20 sec rest
1 x 100 free - no fins

100 easy

24 x 25 IM order (go thru IM 6 times) with 10 seconds rest -felt pretty good on these and was surprised I still felt strong on fly on the 6th round

100 easy

3600 SCY

Had my annual physical today. My doc is a former ultra-endurance athlete, so I enjoy talking to him about training, nutrition, etc. Had good numbers on blood pressure (112/70) and pulse (60).

I am a little nervous, however, about the blood work. Having been off a year from exercise, having been slack about taking my vitamins, and having indulged in more bad food and alcohol than I do when I am training for competition, I am dreading what comes back. At the beginning of every physical I have, they always take a big tube of blood from me to check my thryroid levels. I've been dealing with a problem thyroid for 20 years, so the big tube of blood is automatic. I was a little alarmed when the doc told me he was requesting two additional tests, but I would not have to give more blood to have them done. Don't know what tests he requested. He didn't say and I forgot to ask. I hope he didn't see anything that is cause for alarm. Well, guess I'll know in two weeks. I hate having to wait for test results to come back!

One thing we did discuss was the fact I had really backed off my training for a year. He told me that was a long time and not to have high expectations too soon. He said I really should not have taken off so much time from strength training because I've probably lost muscle mass. Taking all this in mind, I decided that I am going to give cross-fit a try as my dryland training. The swim coach is actually an instructor and does this out of his home. He individualizes your workout according to your fitness level and age. Well, I will give it a shot on Friday at 7:45 a.m. If I like it, I'll do it twice a week. Later on when I back off the running, I may go to three times a week. I'd like to try this instead of working with heavy weights this year.

Submit "Having fun with the kids" to Digg Submit "Having fun with the kids" to del.icio.us Submit "Having fun with the kids" to StumbleUpon Submit "Having fun with the kids" to Google

Updated August 17th, 2011 at 08:58 PM by elise526

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Hope the blood work comes out! I have to have blood work all the time because of a thyroid problem discovered back in Nov. Maybe he's jut checking cholesterol levels?

Cross Fit is intriguing. I definitely think it's worth an experiment as opposed to heavy weights. I would think you would get excellent muscle conditioning, which must generate some power for swimming. Those kipping pull ups scare me though.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Hope the blood work comes out! I have to have blood work all the time because of a thyroid problem discovered back in Nov. Maybe he's jut checking cholesterol levels?

Cross Fit is intriguing. I definitely think it's worth an experiment as opposed to heavy weights. I would think you would get excellent muscle conditioning, which must generate some power for swimming. Those kipping pull ups scare me though.
    Thanks, Fort! I know he always runs a cholesterol check along with the thyroid (I should have mentioned that), so the extra tests are making me nervous. I know he has run an in-depth check on my iron levels before, so hopefully this is what it is.

Thyroid troubles also, huh? Are you hypo or hyper?
    I was hypo. Explains why I was really dragging for awhile. Also explains a lot of other symptoms I was having. I think it could have been part of a hormone cascade issue. In any event, I am feeling better these days on BHRT and thyroid hormones.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I was hypo. Explains why I was really dragging for awhile. Also explains a lot of other symptoms I was having. I think it could have been part of a hormone cascade issue. In any event, I am feeling better these days on BHRT and thyroid hormones.
    I've been both hyper and hypo. Hypo feels the worst! Hyper is more dangerous, but hypo feels terrible. I know how you felt. I got diagnosed with hypo in third year of law school.

Glad you are feeling better!