View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Hodgepodge, Thursday, Aug. 18

Rate this Entry
ART, 30 minutes:

My ART doc really beat up my right shoulder and trap. Ouch! And I was too busy to ice it until now.

Bike, 30 minutes:

Some non-swimming fat burning. Wanted to do another 30 minutes, but got distracted.

RC & Holds:

RC exercises, 15 minutes

extreme angle isometric holds:

The 5 basic ones are: push up, bicep/tricep, squat, and lunge. The theory behind extreme angle isometrics is: http://theorytopractice.wordpress.co...on-isolations/

I've done the extreme angle squat and extreme angle step ups (not a hold) off and on. I am mulling over making a commitment to these holds this season. The downside: as the article notes, they're deadly boring and I don't tolerate boredom well. The up side: more explosiveness and fast twitch.

I didn't do the push up hold today b/c of my right shoulder. But I did:

squat hold: 5:00
lunge left leg forward: 1:30
lunge right leg forward: 1:30
bicep/tricep w/ 5 lb DBs: 3:00

The lunges are torture when you're in an extreme angle. Lots of room for improvement there. Once you get to 5 minutes, you add weight and start over.

Bikram, 90 minutes:

Had to go at 8:00 pm tonight and it was packed again. I wish they would adjust the heat when it's so crowded. I took a precautionary break during the tree/toe stand posture (my least favorite b/c it seems somewhat dumb) to ensure no repeat of nauseousness. My studio has added a 10:00 pm class on Tuesday nights. Maybe that would be better!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mulling over what my dryland plan will be for the fall. Suggestions?

Submit "Hodgepodge, Thursday, Aug. 18" to Digg Submit "Hodgepodge, Thursday, Aug. 18" to del.icio.us Submit "Hodgepodge, Thursday, Aug. 18" to StumbleUpon Submit "Hodgepodge, Thursday, Aug. 18" to Google

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I wonder if my med ball slamming was actually helping my shoulders?
    Depends on how you do the slams but I would think the med ball game in a racketball/squash court probably helps more so. Try to track down some interesting upper body plyos for this seasons drylands.
    You mentioned in a previous post some handstands. Can you do them without the wall to balance? What do you focus on when handstanding? I'm only a handstand novice. Just trying to keep my guts from spilling down and I need the wall.
    At Crossfit we do handstand pushups. Or I should say they do them. It is SO dang impressive to watch!
    I cannot manage them at all. Maybe I'm too tall...

Love these holds you have described! Added to the planks.
    At Crossfit we do handstand pushups. Or I should say they do them. It is SO dang impressive to watch!

Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Depends on how you do the slams but I would think the med ball game in a racketball/squash court probably helps more so. Try to track down some interesting upper body plyos for this seasons drylands.
    I can't think of any off hand except for the med ball slams and push press I've been doing (and the push press is really a full body explosive movement). I need to investigate this further.
    Quote Originally Posted by chowmi
    You mentioned in a previous post some handstands. Can you do them without the wall to balance? What do you focus on when handstanding? I'm only a handstand novice. Just trying to keep my guts from spilling down and I need the wall.
    I love handstands! I will do them against a wall if I'm holding 1:00 for a shoulder isometric. I don't need a wall to balance, though I can't hold them for terribly long. (gymnast in youth) Here are some tips: http://www.samsrawtruth.com/2011/01/handstand.html.

Once you've gotten the hang of freestanding handstands, you can progress on to handstand push ups. I've tried those before as well, but they're pretty hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahelee Sue Osborn

A trainer who works with college athletes gave me those holds. I saw an athlete in his studio doing the push up hold forever with a huge plate on his back! Wow. And the push up hold is not with your hands on the floor; the hands have to be elevated, which makes it much harder.

I don't think it's primarily height on the handstand push ups, although that may be part of it. It probably is raw shoulder strength that's the limiting factor for you.