View RSS Feed

Ande's Swimming Blog

Postal 10k Planning

Rate this Entry
Postal 10k Planning

I trained pretty hard Mon - Wed then backed off Thu & Fri to rest a bit for tomorrow.

I asked Charles Logan, director of the swim center swim center to drop the pool temp a few degrees to 77 or 78 and they did. The skinny people were chilly.

10k's a long way, it's:
2 x 5000 or 4 x 2.5 or 5 x 2000 or
6 x 1500 + 1k or 10 x 1000 or 20 x 500 or
25 x 400 or 50 x 200 or 100 x 100

I've lined up a counter.

Swim starts at 7:00 so I'll
5:45 wake
6:00 leave home
6:45 arrive and get ready
7:00 dive in

will put GU & water near my lane.
plus right before I swim I'll probably
down a few gu's,
drink half a liter of smart water and
take in a little caffiene

Plan to wear B70 jammer have Speedo pro back up. I'll tie it tight and probably double knot.

I've shaved some and will shave more tonight. I get a rub spot on my right delt when it hits my stubbly chin on long swims, so I'll reshave my face tomorrow morning.

I'll treat my goggs to not fog.

No Cap

Correct Pace is the key
I need to stay easy long smooth relaxed and consistent.
Remain aware of
how far I've gone, how much left,
my running time and the pace I'm holding.
I'll have my counter signal 1,000's
plus 9500, 9800 & 9900

I won't stop much or for too long.
On my previous 10k I did a stretch of repeat 100's on 1:20, boy that was a mistake.

Larry suggested 3k straight then short breaks after each 1k
1st 1000 hold 1:18's & go 13:00
2nd - 5th 1000 go 13:05
targeting 65:20 5k split
6th - 10th 1000 hold 13:20
I've considered doing it as a set of
6 x 1500 on 20:00 followed by a 1000 on 13:20

I'm nervous and excited. I know somewhere during it I'll be cursing,
why did I ever get myself into this?

Wish me luck.

My sordid history with Postal swims:

Sat May 30th, 2009 LCM Swam a 10k today

Sat June 6th 2009 swam a 5k this morning

Sun Jan 23rd, 2010 Went Postal

Sun Jan 30th 2011 HR Postal Swim take 2

1 hour postal swim January 24th, 2009

Submit "Postal 10k Planning" to Digg Submit "Postal 10k Planning" to del.icio.us Submit "Postal 10k Planning" to StumbleUpon Submit "Postal 10k Planning" to Google

Categories
Planning

Comments

I asked Charles Logan, director of the swim center swim center to drop the pool temp a few degrees to 77 or 78 and they did.
    You guys sure live in a different world than most masters swimmers...

Good luck in your postal. I won't say how crazy I think you are for doing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stevenson
    You guys sure live in a different world than most masters swimmers...
    No kidding!

Good luck Ande!!!

A "few gus"? I've never done more than one at a time before. Have you tried it and made sure it agrees with you?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    A "few gus"? I've never done more than one at a time before. Have you tried it and made sure it agrees with you?
    Yeah, I don't know about this strategy! Maybe an energy bar before the swim and save the gu(s) for during the swim.
    EXCELLENT! We fully expect a brief report for each 1000. I've actually done the 10000 (did I get the zero's right?) twice! My advice to your counter:

1. Go over your game plan with him/her!!!! As you touch and take a break, have them SHOUT out your yardage (to confirm you did in fact stop at the 3,000, and whatever 1000 you are on); your total running time, and your average 100 split time, plus whatever else you agree to beforehand.

2. The key for me was to never have to speak myself, I didn't have any spare energy to ask for any of the above information. I only had the brainpower to hear it and not have to process the 100 splits.

3. I really liked having the timer KEEP TALKING to me. I would get so de-sensitized that I needed to just hear people talk around me rather than the drone of my bubbles underwater. And i'm a sucker for anything, like "You're awesome! Looking good! Keep it up!" No matter how I am swimming, by the end, if you tell me that, then I start thinking, "I do? Yes, I Do! I am awesome! I must be looking good, if you say so!" And that motivates me to keep going!

HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Crazy-ness, Ande, this is sheer, unadulterated crazy. Good luck and have fun, I guess. I still can't understand why people want to do this, but have some fun with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Crazy-ness, Ande, this is sheer, unadulterated crazy. Good luck and have fun, I guess. I still can't understand why people want to do this, but have some fun with it.
    You know it is crazy when the former distance crazy thinks it so.
    Awesome job.

I am curious about your breathing pattern and if your shoulders gave you problems. Were you tempted to roll on your back at any point?