View RSS Feed

Chicken's Nuggets

The Captain's Log

Rate this Entry
On Wednesday, August 24th I was privileged be part of the crew for Evan Morrison's (Evmo's) solo swim from Catalina Island to the mainland.

It was the first time I'd ever crewed for a swim and, with my own Catalina swim just around the corner, a great learning experience. In the incredibly short time it took Evmo to swim the channel, I was able to familiarise myself with the pilot boat, the Bottom Scratcher, and see first hand the work that goes into putting on a successful (or unsuccessful!) marathon swim.

Most of the swim took place in the pitch dark in some fairly lumpy seas. I was pretty queasy and didn't take many pictures until the sun rose. Here's my view of what went on:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgNR2cD0gFk"]Evan's Catalina swim - YouTube[/nomedia]

Congratulations to Evmo on an amazing swim, and thanks for letting me be a small part of it!

Submit "The Captain's Log" to Digg Submit "The Captain's Log" to del.icio.us Submit "The Captain's Log" to StumbleUpon Submit "The Captain's Log" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Cool slide show Amanda! Thanks for putting it together and posting--those are some gorgeous shots. Good luck on your crossing--I look forward to reading all about it!
    When are you doing the Catalina swim? We have a couple people from my team doing it next Thursday. Then of course they're staying in SoCal for the LaJolla swim that Sunday

Good luck!
    I start 10th October. Very very nervous.