View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

She-Beasty, Thursday, Feb. 26

Rate this Entry
by , February 26th, 2009 at 05:45 PM (1732 Views)
No work/school events/carpooling (except for the 4:10 am shift) today, so I got to concentrate on being She-Beasty.

AM: Weights

60-65 minutes at the gym. Went up 5-10 pounds on most things. Did the following, did supersets with some of the weights/core work:

deadlift, 90 x 2 x 10
tricep press, 85 x 2 x 12
straight arm cable lat pulldown, 120 x 2 x 10
standing ab crunch, 85 x 2 x 12, each side
seated narrow grip row, 110 x 2 x 10
leg press, 330 x 2 x 10
calf press for ankles, 110 x 3 x 15
standing push ups on double cable free motion machine, 35 x 2 x 10, each arm
external rotators, 10 x 2 x 15, each arm
arm raises for RC, 3 x 3 x 15

back extensions w/15 lb weight, 2 x 25
crunches w/ med ball, 2 x 25
crunches on incline bench, 2 x 25
reverse sit ups w/yoga ball, 2 x 25
long arm crunches, 2 x 25
prone scapular scrunches w/ 5 lb weights, 2 x 25
held the plank for 1:15
hip exercise (no idea what to call this, a trainer showed me it one day): put shoulders on yoga ball, body horizontal with feet on ground. lift one leg straight out. lower your body until ass almost touches the ground and back up, 2 x 12 on each leg (these are hard suckers!)

AND, 2 x 10 chin ups.

These weren't nearly as hard as I thought they'd be. I wasn't straining until the last one or so. If you'd asked me last week if I could do a pull up or chin up, I'd have said maybe 1. lol

5 minutes stretching

Weight lifting question of the day:

Does it make a huge difference which of the myriad attachments you use on the cable machines? (Aside from obvious ones like the narrow grip one for the row.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PM: Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 variety swim, kick, drill

3 x 100 single arm fly drill @ 1:50

Aerobic Conditioning Set:

Swiped and modified this set from Chris' blog from a couple weeks ago. Unlike the workout monster, I did it as an aerobic conditioning set. I'm doing mostly aerobic work for a couple weeks after Auburn. Didn't emphasize SDKs much; my legs were feeling a bit thrashed from the spin/run/weights. Did not feel real fast.

3 x 200 free @ 3:00 (swim-kick-swim)
4 x 50 easy speed fly @ 1:00
50 EZ
3 x 150 free @ 2:15 (S-K-S)
4 x 50 back @ 200 pace @ 1:00
(these were more like 300 pace)
3 x 100 free @ 1:30 (S-K-S)
4 x 50 breast @ 1:00
3 x 50 free @ :50 (S-K-S)
4 x 50 IM order @ 1:00

150 EZ

Speed set:

8 x (25 AFAP free w/fins + 25 EZ)

200 C/D

15 minutes hot tub

Total: 4100

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Went home and found that the Recoverite had arrived, so I tried some. Preparing to feel like a mack truck hit me tomorrow.

Submit "She-Beasty, Thursday, Feb. 26" to Digg Submit "She-Beasty, Thursday, Feb. 26" to del.icio.us Submit "She-Beasty, Thursday, Feb. 26" to StumbleUpon Submit "She-Beasty, Thursday, Feb. 26" to Google

Updated February 27th, 2009 at 11:04 AM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts

Comments

Ok, I guess I'll be the first to bite...
    "Does it make a huge difference which of the myriad attachments you use on the cable machines? (Aside from obvious ones like the narrow grip one for the row.)"

I'm assuming you mean those 'multi-machine' things. I don't notice much difference between all the different bars, other than my gym has one that is fairly small with no ends and sometimes my hands slide off. I've used a few different bars for lat pull-downs, and other than wide -v- narrow grips (which you can do on your own), I haven't noticed. Some bars rotate in your hands, making things easier.

The rope thing is quite different tho. I use it for triceps pull-downs, and have seen people using it for other things too. I just started playing with it one day, and a guy near me asked if I wanted advice, and I took it. I do it with my back to the weights (looking at the rope), pull down, then apart, hold, then slowly let up. The end station has a mirror that I can watch myself in to get the right form, so I try to go there.

Wow, that's great for chin-ups. So you had an underhand grip? I seem to always get confused with pull-ups and chin-ups, I think one is easier, and the grips are reversed. I did some where the grips were sticking out.

Also great with your Planks. 1:15 is good....almost time to be doing 1-leg for 10 sec.
    I use the rope thing for tricep press and the weighted crunches too.

chin ups = palms facing toward you
    pull ups = palms facing away

I'm told pull ups are harder. Sure seemed that way to me.
    On the planks, is it just one leg up or opposite leg/arm extended?
    You can start with one leg up and then add opposite arm when you are ready or go for both at once. The goal is to have one arm and opposite leg up at the same time and then return to plank with all hands and feet down and then change the arm and leg that are up. It's both strength and a balance move - great for all those little muscles that help keep you stable.
    I forgot to mention that I will send you a private message with what exercises I do for dryland and why in the next few days. I'm packing like a fiend for a road trip with a girlfriend right now (quilting retreat with a fellow swimmer) but will pack my laptop and should have some time to write.
    Fort, have you tried planks with both legs in the air yet?

Nice job on those chin ups, you are obviously much stronger than you pretend not to be.
    Seriously, two sets of 10 is some good chinning.

In response to the question of the day, the grip is merely what you use to connect yourself to the weight. Make it comfortable.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Nice job on those chin ups, you are obviously much stronger than you pretend not to be.
    I've always thought I had natural strength and flexibility. I just haven't harnessed it in the weight room, or didn't really know how to. I can only recall lifting one year as an age grouper. I do remember a lot of drylands (especially push ups) in the summer.

Thanks Jazz. I kind of like the chinning and pulling. It's pretty fun.
    Updated February 26th, 2009 at 09:52 PM by The Fortress
    Quote Originally Posted by swimmj
    I forgot to mention that I will send you a private message with what exercises I do for dryland and why in the next few days. I'm packing like a fiend for a road trip with a girlfriend right now (quilting retreat with a fellow swimmer) but will pack my laptop and should have some time to write.
    Thanks, I would really appreciate it, mj! I really have no clue what exercises or amounts of weights other women are doing. It's hard to know if one is "strong" as a relative matter or not.

Have fun on your chick trip! Hope your shoulder is feeling better.
    Updated February 26th, 2009 at 10:20 PM by The Fortress
    Wow Fort, that's one hell of a day! Hopefully you are conditioned well enough that you'll only feel like a Smart Car hit you rather than Mack truck!
    Awesome on the weightlifting!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iwannafly
    Wow Fort, that's one hell of a day! Hopefully you are conditioned well enough that you'll only feel like a Smart Car hit you rather than Mack truck!
    Awesome on the weightlifting!
    Thanks, TJ. But with all that floating around I did before and after Auburn, it may take awhile to get back! I was super sore after I increased weights/added exercises on Monday. I expect the same tomorrow.
    Whoa ... I know you said you weren't being like the "workout monster," but that's a monster weight session. Maybe after a few years of me lifting, I can approach the poundage you're pounding. Nice job.
    Very funny. I did increase weight quite a bit the last week at Jazz's urging. You can probably do more than you think, as well.