View RSS Feed

swimsuit addict

100-meter pool

Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Last night I had another fun pool tourism outing—this time up to Crotona Park pool in the Bronx. This is another of NYC’s sprawling WPA-era pools. It dates from 1936, and measures a whopping 330’ x 120’, with varying depth of up to 4 feet. It’s a bit of a hike to get to, but it was worth the trip. I met friends Hannah and Kathleen up there, and we had the whole pool to ourselves for the evening lap swim, from 7-8:30. There were more lifeguards than swimmers!

Hannah has an amazing streak going—she made a New Year’s resolution in January of 2010 to do at least 2 lengths of butterfly at every swim workout, and has kept it ever since. Things get a bit harder in the summer, with lcm lengths instead of scy ones, but she’s proved up to the challenge. Last night’s super-duper-long-course pool seemed daunting, though, so she proposed starting off with the fly to get it out of the way. Here’s what we did:

400 s-d-lcm broken IM (chat / breathing break at walls)
400 broken rev. IM (ditto)

One interesting feature of the Crotona pool are the two pyramid-shaped structures situated in the middle. Our next few sets took advantage of this:

200 figure-eight swim around the pyramids

2 x 100 close-eyed FR swim [This was to see if we went straight—with such a long pool and nobody besides ourselves to run into (yes, we did), it seemed like a good opportunity. I opened mine to check halfway through the first length—perfect! Filled with overconfidence, I then proceeded to veer off 45 degrees on the next 50---I grazed a pyramad after almost clearing the far side of it. The return trip was better.]

2 x 100 sprint set (easy from walls to pyramids, sprint between pyramids)

200 warmdown

(That workout looks short, but there was a lot of chatting between swims, plus a fair amount of admiring the moon and the surroundings, so it took us about an hour.)

This morning I did an uneventful workout at Riverbank pool.

Tomorrow I’m swimming a series of races (3-mile, 1.5-mile, 0.5-mile) in Lake Quassapaug in Connecticut. This will be my first time there—I’ve always heard fun things about these swims, and am looking forward to going.

Happy holiday weekend everyone!

Submit "100-meter pool" to Digg Submit "100-meter pool" to del.icio.us Submit "100-meter pool" to StumbleUpon Submit "100-meter pool" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I think I lack the creativity to have as much fun as you do swimming. Very cool pool too.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    I think I lack the creativity to have as much fun as you do swimming. Very cool pool too.
    I think the key is to find whimsical people to swim with, then say yes to whatever they propose. Only the figure-8 was my idea at this workout!
    Talk about LCM!!!! Yikes!
    Very interesting pool though.
    Way cool. I googled and saw this wonderful aerial shot -- http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/20...al_aerial5.jpg. I have to remember to review your blog the next time I'm in NYC and looking for a pool. I've always been in mid-town, been shocked at the drop-in costs or the trek up to Agua and gone without swimming. I have to re-orient my thinking.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Talk about LCM!!!! Yikes!
    Very interesting pool though.
    There's a number of interesting pools from this era that dot the city--10 of them date from 1936 alone--a banner year for swimming in the city! They're not all this big, but many of them are 3.5-4 feet deep throughout.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Way cool. I googled and saw this wonderful aerial shot -- http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/20...al_aerial5.jpg. I have to remember to review your blog the next time I'm in NYC and looking for a pool. I've always been in mid-town, been shocked at the drop-in costs or the trek up to Agua and gone without swimming. I have to re-orient my thinking.
    That is a cool shot--thanks for digging it up and posting the link!
    NYC city pools have such a short season--just from July4 weekend through Labor Day. But if you're here then they're definitely worth researching. Free lap swimming at many from 7-8:30, am and pm.

My last pool tourism outing of the summer will be on Labor Day.
    Sounds like a great pool, and a nice workout to match it. Glad you're able to mix things up and see different parts of the city.

When I lifeguarded at a water park, a couple of us had a challenge to do every activity in the park over breaks one day. Was tough to squeeze it all in, but fun (if we were at the top of a slide and rotating to the bottom or going on break, we were supposed to go down anyway. It sometimes surprised groups when I'd jump in the large tubes with them.)
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Sounds like a great pool, and a nice workout to match it. Glad you're able to mix things up and see different parts of the city.

When I lifeguarded at a water park, a couple of us had a challenge to do every activity in the park over breaks one day. Was tough to squeeze it all in, but fun (if we were at the top of a slide and rotating to the bottom or going on break, we were supposed to go down anyway. It sometimes surprised groups when I'd jump in the large tubes with them.)
    That sounds majorly fun! HOw long did you lifeguard there?
    Quote Originally Posted by swimsuit addict
    That sounds majorly fun! HOw long did you lifeguard there?
    I was at the water park side of Dorney Park (the water park was called Wildwater Kingdom) for 1 season. I think I had 38 saves.

I also was a poolside bartender/lifeguard at the Holiday Inn in Hazelton, PA one summer (the hotel is now something else and the pool has been filled in). I was 23 at the time, had no idea how to make most of the drinks, but I quickly learned who the target audience was for the best tips.