View RSS Feed

Swim like an Orca, but faster !

Sept. 2, 2011

Rate this Entry
by , September 3rd, 2011 at 07:07 PM (1264 Views)
I must have been tired Wednesday, but I felt a strain after the 5x100 Monofin set, and woke up Thursday with a pain in my upper right thigh. So looks like I strained a thigh flexor muscle. I really hurts when I lift my leg up to get into the car, or while in the flip turn to keep my leg in the up position prior to kicking off.
Back to Wednesday,
Aquasol Coach Janine is back!
5:30PM - 7:15PM

Warm 2x100FR, 200IM drill, 150Kick, 150 Pull (700)
Main
5x200 (50Stroke-100FR-50Stroke) (1000/1700)
#1 Fly, #2 BK, #3 BR, #4 FR, #5 IM
-Kick
10x50 Kick Free on 1:10 (:55-1:00) w/board (500/2200)
-Pull
10x100 Pull Odd=FR, Even=Choice(Back) on 1:45 w/paddles & pull bouy (1000/3200)
-Sprint
4x50 Swim each stroke on 1:00 (800/4000)
-Mono set
5x100 Monofin kick, 25UW, 25 Side, 25 on back, 25 other side on 1:45 (500/4500)

4x50 cool down

4700 SCY

I skipped Thursdays Gym workout, due to being limpy and sore.
On Friday the coach gave me a easy workout, but after hearing of my injury, she was almost in tears, since the schedule change, and "water polo" taking up the afternoon's and Tuesday, the masters group has all but dissolved.
Here is a quote from our newsletter;
"In addition to the Tuesday night pool closures, the following nights will be reserved for water polo matches:
Thursday, September 8
Wednesday, September 14
Wednesday, September 28
Thursday, September 29
Wednesday, October 5
Thursday, October 6
Thursday, October 13"
This is the first year WP has made a huge fender bender in the swimming program, the only good thing to come out of this is justification to keep the pool open year round, despite budget cuts, weak economy, etc...
I find myself there with a fitness swimmer, but the guys and gals are now swimming with the Y group (no workout, no coach, just swim laps) in the 5:30 AM - 7:00AM time zone.
Coach Janine remarked that there is probably nothing worse for a coach, than to watch her group break up.
I managed to get in 10x100 P but I had to do open turn's and did some 50's of backstroke, but had to use the old school spin turn. Fly's and UW orca's were omitted.
So for Friday, I got in about 2000 yds.

Submit "Sept. 2, 2011" to Digg Submit "Sept. 2, 2011" to del.icio.us Submit "Sept. 2, 2011" to StumbleUpon Submit "Sept. 2, 2011" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

The kids(mainly at prep schools) are starting to get into water polo around here. Also, there is some Adult Water polo program at Villanova.
    I played a little water polo in college, the thing different there is that it doesn't matter how fast of a swimmer you are (you only get to move maybe 5 yards at a time), because most of the guys your play against are on the defensive line of the football team in the fall season! Yikes!! It can be a violent game too.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    The kids(mainly at prep schools) are starting to get into water polo around here. Also, there is some Adult Water polo program at Villanova.
    I can't image playing water polo as an adult, whats interesting is they have some girls on one of the squads.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    I played a little water polo in college, the thing different there is that it doesn't matter how fast of a swimmer you are (you only get to move maybe 5 yards at a time), because most of the guys your play against are on the defensive line of the football team in the fall season! Yikes!! It can be a violent game too.
    LOL, they should call it Aqua-Gladiators