View RSS Feed

Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine

New England 10K in two weeks

Rate this Entry
After a successful 2.4 mile swim at the Peaks to Portland (Maine) in July, in which I swam without a wetsuit in 62-64 degree Atlantic Ocean water in a time of 49:54, I am now looking towards my first 6.2 mile swim on Sunday, 9/25, in Rhode Island.

Ray, the race coordinator, gave me a call last night and mentioned that 40+ folks are registered for either the 5K or 10K swims. I am going to be able to have my buddy Bob join me as my kayaker for the event, which I am really happy about.

I have been reading the Open Water forums for helpful hints for this distance. I have had limited training this month due to Hurricane Irene pummeling Vermont. Our town had no main water supply for 7 days, and the Rec center where I train was closed for 2 weeks (one for yearly maintenance, the other since we had no water). Finally the major road traversing the southern border of Vermont, from Bennington to Brattelboro, was reopened this past weekend. Today my wife and I traveled it on my motorcycle - totally different landscape with roads washed out and buildings gone. We were blessed to only have rain and wind at my home, so I thank God for his protection.

If anyone has additional tips for this long swim please feel free to leave them for me. I was able to get in a 3600yd swim tonight in less than one hour, alternating focus on 8x200 power swims and 9x100 sprints.

Anyone else planning to swim?

Submit "New England 10K in two weeks" to Digg Submit "New England 10K in two weeks" to del.icio.us Submit "New England 10K in two weeks" to StumbleUpon Submit "New England 10K in two weeks" to Google

Updated September 12th, 2011 at 08:51 PM by rxleakem (wanted to add a category to the entry - still trying to figure out how to navigate these blogs. :))

Categories
Masters Swim Meets / Events

Comments

I wish I'd signed up for that. But the info on the website seemed to be a bit vague. Sorry you haven't been able to swim much, but just think - that means you're tapered. ;-)

I finished just a few places behind you at Peaks (also without a wetsuit).

Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by slknight

I finished just a few places behind you at Peaks (also without a wetsuit).

Good luck!
    Great job at Peaks! Such a fun swim. The website was lacking a bit, but their facebook page was helpful. I'll be sure to report back after the swim.