View RSS Feed

Mr. Pacemaker

ICDs - Pacemaker/Defibrillator swimmers

Rate this Entry
I'm still looking for USMS swimmers who are swimming with a pacemaker/defibrillator.

As far as I know, there are only 3 in the United States. Surely, there are more than that!

If you are one or if you know one, please let me know.

Thanks.

Mr. Pacemaker

Submit "ICDs - Pacemaker/Defibrillator swimmers" to Digg Submit "ICDs - Pacemaker/Defibrillator swimmers" to del.icio.us Submit "ICDs - Pacemaker/Defibrillator swimmers" to StumbleUpon Submit "ICDs - Pacemaker/Defibrillator swimmers" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Hi mr. Pacemaker!
    I do not have an ICD but I was recently diagnosed with a long Q interval. I am currently trying to get approval for genetic testing. I have no symptoms, never had an event, and was totally blind-sided by this diagnosis. I would love to hear about your experiences in case I ever end up with an ICD. I hope you attract some discussion here on the blog. You could try a thread on the forum as well.
    Hi Mr Pacemaker..
    I'm getting a defibrillator next week, and have been cautioned about swimming long term with one due to wear on the wires around the chest muscle. I would love to get in touch with other swimmers with pacemakers or ICDs to find their experience and what advice they have recieved. I did speak with on local swimmer, with the Walnut Creek Masters, who has swam for 5 years with an ICD and no problems and no warnings from his cardiologist.
    I am a competitive swimmer, age 67, just diagnosed with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. I have had an ICD/pacemaker implanted three weeks ago. I want to continue swimming, and competiting if possible. Does anyone have any information or experience with this condition and swimming? My cardiologist also warns about wear on the wires with repetitive motions involved in swimming.