View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Tuesday, Oct. 18

Rate this Entry
Drylands:

Decided to use my "home gym" again. And it was too nice to be inside.

TRX squat jumps, 3 x 15
TRX standing roll out, 2 x 20
TRX chest press, 2 x 25
TRX close grip row, 3 x 15
TRX tricep extension, 2 x 20
TRX single leg squats, 15 each leg

power wheel roll outs, 25
power wheel pike ups, 3 x 10

knee tuck jumps, 2 x 10
med ball slams, 3 x15
ropes, alternating waves, 2 x :30
ropes, double waves, 2 x :30
ropes, in and outs, :30


Erg, 30 minutes

Stretching/Yoga/Foam Roller, 30 minutes

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Had thought about going to bikram tonight, but decided to do bikram + easy swim tomorrow. That may be the last drylands I do before the Sprint Classic. Possibly one more yoga session.

I'm glad I have a meet coming up. I've been feeling a tad unmotivated lately. I think it is partly due to the fact that I've only swum in one meet since April. Not as many opportunities here as on the left coast, and my weekends are pretty busy.

Masters athlete tests positive:
http://www.usada.org/media/sanction-jager

Also just read that Dana Vollmer and Noriko Inada are training 6-9 hours a day -- 2 x 2 hours dryland + 2 ocean swims with some pool time squeezed in.

Submit "Tuesday, Oct. 18" to Digg Submit "Tuesday, Oct. 18" to del.icio.us Submit "Tuesday, Oct. 18" to StumbleUpon Submit "Tuesday, Oct. 18" to Google

Updated October 18th, 2011 at 08:10 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Yoga , Erg

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. pwb's Avatar
    So I gather from the link that drug testing is protocol @ Masters Track & Field. I wonder why? What I mean is, while I don't support PEDs, I can understand the incentives in professional sports. I can't see where the "value" is to a Masters athlete to incur the risks of PEDs.
  2. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    So I gather from the link that drug testing is protocol @ Masters Track & Field. I wonder why? What I mean is, while I don't support PEDs, I can understand the incentives in professional sports. I can't see where the "value" is to a Masters athlete to incur the risks of PEDs.
    Maybe it was a relatively risk free PEDs, not steroids or the like? I'm wondering what medication it was that had a banned substance. The article was mysteriously silent on that.
  3. tjrpatt's Avatar
    Meets are scarce in the Northeast in the fall. MD LMSC has some meets but, I don't think that those pools pass your pool snobbery test!
  4. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    Meets are scarce in the Northeast in the fall. MD LMSC has some meets but, I don't think that those pools pass your pool snobbery test!
    I was looking at the MD series today. Honestly, I think I would hit the bottom in a shallow pool. There werent many summer meets either. If I were really serious about more meets, I'd have to re-join USAS.
  5. pwb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    Meets are scarce in the Northeast in the fall.
    It's weird how different parts of the country go through ups and downs of meets. We're in a mode this fall where we might actually have too many meets in AZ for Masters.
  6. jaadams1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    Meets are scarce in the Northeast in the fall. MD LMSC has some meets but, I don't think that those pools pass your pool snobbery test!
    In the NW, at least between PNA, Oregon, and Inland NW, we have a large amount of meets available to choose from, and of someone was really crazy about traveling to most of them, you could easily hit 12-13 meets (or maybe more) between October and April.
    I live right on the edge of PNA and Inland NW, so for me it is the same travel either way for most meets. Oregon's a little out of the way, but I have family in the Portland area, so free lodging!
  7. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    In the NW, at least between PNA, Oregon, and Inland NW, we have a large amount of meets available to choose from, and of someone was really crazy about traveling to most of them, you could easily hit 12-13 meets (or maybe more) between October and April.
    I live right on the edge of PNA and Inland NW, so for me it is the same travel either way for most meets. Oregon's a little out of the way, but I have family in the Portland area, so free lodging!
    Are you counting USAS meets or just masters meets? Good grief!
  8. jaadams1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Are you counting USAS meets or just masters meets? Good grief!
    Those are just masters meets.
    Inland NW holds 4-5 a year (including champs)
    PNA (6-7 including the champs)
    Oregon (5 or so including champs)

    These are both SCM and SCY

    These numbers are just for the Sept - May season. In the summer, Inland NW, and Oregon do a lot of OW, as well as PNA, and there is usually 2 LCM meets in Oregon, and sometimes 1 in PNA as well.

    Some of the meets fall on the same weekends, so it's tough to make them all, but last year I hit quite a few of them.

    One of the 3 champs usually doubles as the NW SCY Zone meet as well.
  9. knelson's Avatar
    Yeah, but keep in mind that's a pretty good size geographical area. Probably comparable in size to the Mid-Atlantic region. Throw in southern BC and it's much bigger.
  10. jaadams1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    Yeah, but keep in mind that's a pretty good size geographical area. Probably comparable in size to the Mid-Atlantic region. Throw in southern BC and it's much bigger.
    Very true...I forget that the size of states on the east coast are almost like a few cities blocks or so!! You can possibly drive 2 hours and be across 4 states lines sometimes. Here is takes 5-6 to cross the entire state, sometimes longer.
  11. jaadams1's Avatar
    It's all relative though...everyone is different. Last year I remember traveling to the meet on Olympia, and overheard people complaining about having to drive "all the way" there for a meet. I asked where they were from, and they said pretty close to downtown Seattle. My gosh, and I drove from the eastern side of the Cascade mountains for 3 1/2 hours and didn't even blink an eye at it. Different people have different views.
  12. knelson's Avatar
    Obviously. You and That Guy drive down to Oregon like it's 20 miles away!
  13. jaadams1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    Obviously. You and That Guy drive down to Oregon like it's 20 miles away!
    Right...but every one of my masters meets, besides the home meet, is a minimum 2 3/4 hour drive, and that's to PNA meets. Meets in my own LMSC are more like 3 1/4 hours to 4 1/2 for the furthest within my LMSC.
    In 5 hours, I can also be to Portland.
  14. qbrain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Are you counting USAS meets or just masters meets? Good grief!
    He is talking about half of North America. If you are willing to travel from Maine to Florida and out to Chicago, you will have 12 meets to choose from too.
  15. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    He is talking about half of North America. If you are willing to travel from Maine to Florida and out to Chicago, you will have 12 meets to choose from too.
    Ha! Can't do that at this point in my life. Mr. Fort and all my kids compete on weekends. I have to squeeze it in when I can. I'm generally not willing to miss my kids' stuff. No idea how James gets spousal permission for all his jaunts with 3 kids. He must be married to a saint.
  16. knelson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    He must be married to a saint.
    Well, duh, she's married to James isn't she?

    By the way, what type of erg do you have? There's been a rowing discussion in another forum I read and it sounds like just the kind of boring drudgery I'd enjoy!
  17. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    Well, duh, she's married to James isn't she?

    By the way, what type of erg do you have? There's been a rowing discussion in another forum I read and it sounds like just the kind of boring drudgery I'd enjoy!
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Concept2-Model-Indoor-Rowing-Machine/dp/B001A0ZT2I"]Amazon.com: Concept2 Model D Indoor Rowing Machine: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

    Even rowers view the erg as drudgery. After doing it a few times now, I'm convinced it's a way better means of cross training than biking for me. And I need to cross train to keep it fresh in the pool. And it's really not that bad pulling the erg outside and using an iPod.
  18. knelson's Avatar
    Yeah, that was the model mentioned on the other forum. I know rowers have a love/hate relationship with ergs, probably leaning more towards hate!
  19. jaadams1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Ha! Can't do that at this point in my life. Mr. Fort and all my kids compete on weekends. I have to squeeze it in when I can. I'm generally not willing to miss my kids' stuff. No idea how James gets spousal permission for all his jaunts with 3 kids. He must be married to a saint.
    I just sign up, tell her I'm going, and occasionally take the older kids. She's the same way with me an all her soccer tournaments as well. It's all good. On rare occasions, she'll go with me, but is quickly reminded just how boring a swim meet really is as a spectator.
  20. jaadams1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    He is talking about half of North America. If you are willing to travel from Maine to Florida and out to Chicago, you will have 12 meets to choose from too.
    I haven't even looked that far yet! Wow...I can even attend meets over there! Now if only I had the money to get airfare every weekend like PWB!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast