View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Speed Bump, Oct. 24

Rate this Entry
The path to swim meets is never easy ...

Started feeling sick on Friday night (fever, chills, stuffy, queasy) and was up most of the night. Was at The Couch the rest of the weekend. With Mr. Fort gone on Saturday, it was somewhat tortuous getting through all the kid things. I am at least somewhat ambulatory today, though still really not well at all. I may attempt a short slow swim in the pool just to keep feel, and then back to the couch. I used to fight these things more, but I found complete rest helps me recover more quickly. Not the best timing with the meet this weekend. But hopefully, I will only miss a few practices and at least feel better by the weekend. Just hope I can at least get a few fast 25s in before then.

Had my interview with Swimming World for the Lane Leader column today. Hope I wasn't too addled. Lane Leader is a semi-regular column featuring masters swimmers. It should come out in the December issue.

Submit "Speed Bump, Oct. 24" to Digg Submit "Speed Bump, Oct. 24" to del.icio.us Submit "Speed Bump, Oct. 24" to StumbleUpon Submit "Speed Bump, Oct. 24" to Google

Updated October 24th, 2011 at 01:57 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Cool about the Lane Leader column! Looking forward to reading it. Will there be anything surprising in there for regular readers of your blog?

And feel better--glad you're getting some good rest. I always find that helps me recover faster too.
    Hope this is your one and only cold of the winter season! I am a total baby when I have a cold - I lie in bed & feel sorry for myself, watch mindless TV (too sick to read) and drink/eat lots of soup. Now, if I have pneumonia, as long as I don't have a fever, I go to the pool it makes me feel better! (Pnuemonia is not contagious)Feel Better!
    Quote Originally Posted by swimsuit addict
    Cool about the Lane Leader column! Looking forward to reading it. Will there be anything surprising in there for regular readers of your blog?

And feel better--glad you're getting some good rest. I always find that helps me recover faster too.
    Thx SA. Nothing surprising. I spill all my training secrets here.

Yep, better to rest than to resist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial
    Hope this is your one and only cold of the winter season! I am a total baby when I have a cold - I lie in bed & feel sorry for myself, watch mindless TV (too sick to read) and drink/eat lots of soup. Now, if I have pneumonia, as long as I don't have a fever, I go to the pool it makes me feel better! (Pnuemonia is not contagious)Feel Better!
    I used to always soldier on, but now I'm more of a baby. Of course, many things go undone and unorganized ... I think I need more hot green tea and junk TV now.
    Colds suck ... especially suck big time in advance of a meet. The extra rest is warranted and may turn out to be a blessing in disguise. I remember doing a meet a few falls ago where I felt like crap about the same time as you did, topped off the crap feeling with a biz trip and so ended up resting way more in advance of a mid-season meet than I had planned ... and swam great.

I look forward to the Lane Leader feature.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Colds suck ... especially suck big time in advance of a meet. The extra rest is warranted and may turn out to be a blessing in disguise. I remember doing a meet a few falls ago where I felt like crap about the same time as you did, topped off the crap feeling with a biz trip and so ended up resting way more in advance of a mid-season meet than I had planned ... and swam great.
    Thanks Patrick. I hope it works out decently. I certainly wouldn't want to race the way I feel now. But I have heard the many stories of people swimming well after a sick taper. I did the same thing for this meet last year except that it was a long lingering bronchitis thing.
    After seeing only your title "Speed Bump", I thought you may have run over a youngin' in the pool today!

Good exercise will drive that ucky feeling out of your body. Get to it!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    After seeing only your title "Speed Bump", I thought you may have run over a youngin' in the pool today!

Good exercise will drive that ucky feeling out of your body. Get to it!
    Maybe if I was 20 years younger!

No, my colds have a habit of escalating into sinus infections and bronchitis in the spring and fall. I'm already worried about the sinuses. Can't mess around with that stuff. I don't want to cancel another meet!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Maybe if I was 20 years younger!

No, my colds have a habit of escalating into sinus infections
    No kidding! Don't listen to these young uns with their "tough it out and swim anyway" advise. Several days out with a cold is annoying, but does not cancel months of good training. A sinus infection can be another story entirely! When I have a head cold bad enough to keep me out of the pool but not bad enough to keep me in bed, I find some drylands with light hand weights help retain my fittness and improve my mood, without making me more ill.

Feel better soon!
    Thx Karl!

Totally agree -- sinus infections are quite another thing. Definitely can't swim fast with one of those. Still on the couch here though, though I got in a short swim.
    I had the exact same symptoms as you only delayed by about 24 hours. Felt fine during the day on Saturday and just felt worse and worse as the evening progressed. Today I don't feel too bad, but still have some congestion and a little cough.
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    I had the exact same symptoms as you only delayed by about 24 hours. Felt fine during the day on Saturday and just felt worse and worse as the evening progressed. Today I don't feel too bad, but still have some congestion and a little cough.
    Same here. That first night was awful. I guess mine lasted one day longer than yours. At least I can hit the pool today. I wish yours hadn't messed up your meet though.
    bummer, rest, rest and more rest
    bummer
    rest rest rest and more rest
    congrats on being a lane leader
    Thanks Ande. Getting better.

Looks like your teammate Mike Varozza was one of the last Lane Leaders. ttp://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/lane9/news/26058.asp