View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Sprint Classic Results, Oct. 30

Rate this Entry
50 back, 28.23:

My only goal for the meet was to break the national record in the 50 back, which was 28.7. Happy to have that in the bag!

The 28.2 was .1 slower than I swam at this meet last year. I looked back at my comments and see that I swam a near perfect race last year. Today, not so. Flat-ish start (took a few kicks to get up to speed) and two iffy breakouts (confirmed by Speedo & Josh). Definitely felt some racing rust. But this does not bother me unduly because it means I have room for improvement later in the year!

Because my execution was off, I decided to scratch the 50 fly and swim the 50 back again in my 100 ...

Second 50 back, 28.4:

... but when I found myself behind the blocks I was strangely un-excited for a re-do. Subpar breakouts again and I was only under 14 m + 12 m, a bit short for me. Still, this swim was under the NR too.

Battle of the True Drop Dead Sprinters:

Fastest woman and man determined by the aggregate time of the 25s. Using an aggregate is generally advantageous for me because I can hammer out a good 25 back to get a starting edge. After a goodish rest, I actually felt a bit more awake and psyched to race. And I grabbed a nice USMS tech shirt as a prize!

25 back
Last year: 13.3
This year: 13.4

25 breast:
Last year, 16.5.
This year, 15.7.

Boom! This .8 improvement was due completely to the fact that I had a great start -- fast off the blocks, clean entry and great distance. My breakout wasn't the best as I had to jerk up my head to get to the surface.

25 fly::

Last year, 12.6.
This year 13.0 with a long glidey finish. Decent start.

25 free:

Last year: 12.2
This year: 12.2.
My usual shallow start.

Aggregate time:

Last year: 54.6
This year: 54.5
Right on the same time in my dotage.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thoughts:

1. Really happy to get the NR right outta the box this season. Mission accomplished and can happily soldier on.

2. I felt slightly discombobulated and choppy in the water. I'm thinking that's due to being sick for a good bit, and out of the water. I basically was forced to do a short drop taper, which would not have been my choice. I also felt slightly "off" racing mid morning. I always swim better in the afternoon, which is when I practice generally.

3. Though I did my usual warm up, I didn't have that "firing on all cylinders" feeling for my first race. I'm wondering if I need to do more speed work in warm up when I race in the am? Jazz mentioned he did a 50 @ 90-95% in warm up. Or, more likely, maybe it's just rare to feel that way.

4. Dropping .8 in the 25 breaststroke by nailing the start really underscored that I am under-performing in my 50 fly and 50 free with subpar forward starts. But the only away to improve starts is by practicing them -- always a thorn in my side.

Definitely going to yoga tomorrow as I'm sure I'll be sore!

Speedo posted some fast times. Jazz threw down a fast 50 free as well. I video'd this with my iPhone. Will upload later.

Submit "Sprint Classic Results, Oct. 30" to Digg Submit "Sprint Classic Results, Oct. 30" to del.icio.us Submit "Sprint Classic Results, Oct. 30" to StumbleUpon Submit "Sprint Classic Results, Oct. 30" to Google

Updated October 31st, 2011 at 11:36 AM by The Fortress

Categories
Masters Swim Meets / Events

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nice job on the NR...would've been cool to see you go for it in the 100 as well.

I bet you're wiped out after all that!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Nice job on the NR...would've been cool to see you go for it in the 100 as well.

I bet you're wiped out after all that!
    Need more training and a full taper for the 100. And didn't want to go near that after being sick. The 50 back is my baby, so easier to go for today.

We sprinters get very tired from our wee sprints. But, yeah, definitely some lactic acid setting in, especially with my non warm down.
    1. Really happy to get the NR right outta the box this season.
    Right on!
    Great job Fort!
    Congratulations!
    Way to go Leslie!!!!!! Awesome swim!
    Thanks for the live streaming results yesterday! Congrats on the NR and great that you know you can improve from there!
    Way to go Fort!!!!!
    Thanks everyone!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Thanks everyone!
    What?! No multi-quoting!
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    Thanks for the live streaming results yesterday! Congrats on the NR and great that you know you can improve from there!
    I think one look at my start on video will confirm that and make me cringe.

I'm not an engineer or scientist or computer geek, so I have to keep it simple.
    Let me summarize your post "Meh meet, only one NR." You always are happier with meets 2 days after they are over.

Congrats on Meet Meh!
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Let me summarize your post "Meh meet, only one NR." You always are happier with meets 2 days after they are over.

Congrats on Meet Meh!
    Yeah, you're right, I sometimes am. I feel very frustrated by constantly recurring start issues, and wish I could put starts out of my mind. Trying to focus on my 1 good swim makes a meet rule.

But now that I am a breaststroker, I can focus on something else.
    Updated October 31st, 2011 at 11:02 AM by The Fortress
    But now that I am a breaststroker, I can focus on something else.
    At first glance, I thought this was a That Guy post because you don't usually use "capitalization" of this sort.

Whatdaya mean? After my first 50 back, 25 breast was my best event with a .8 drop.

You mid D types don't obsess over starts because they don't unduly effect your races. For sprinters, its all in the fine details. I probably should have asked Teen Fort to go to The Race Club over Thanksgiving instead of Miami Beach!
    At first glance, I thought this was a That Guy post because you don't usually use "capitalization" of this sort.

Whatdaya mean? After my first 50 back, 25 breast was my best event with a .8 drop.

You mid D types don't obsess over starts because they don't unduly effect your races. For sprinters, its all in the fine details. I probably should have asked Teen Fort to go to The Race Club over Thanksgiving instead of Miami Beach!
    Fort the breaststroker deserved some capitalization of the eye roll. But yes, great drop in the breast!

My start is one of the reasons I favor the 100 and 200. Good idea on the Race Club trip.
    Fort the breaststroker deserved some capitalization of the eye roll. But yes, great drop in the breast!

My start is one of the reasons I favor the 100 and 200. Good idea on the Race Club trip.
    Honesty, the start is /3 of the race in a 50. Jazz is a bit frustrated with his as well.

I mentioned TRC to Mr. Fort a couple weeks ago ... planting seeds. Pretty convinced the TRC start has the most potential for me. I wish we had a November meet here where I could practice starts without worrying about race times from messing up. I guess theoretically I could do starts at the Last Chance meet before NE Champs. TBOTTDDS was good for start practice but I only nailed 1 out of 3. I don't consider a 33% success rate too impressive. (But I am happy some 25 year old didn't steal my "crown." )
    Way to go
    You smashed it
    What's next?

Nice drop in your 25 br too
    Quote Originally Posted by ande
    Way to go
    You smashed it
    What's next?

Nice drop in your 25 br too
    Thx Ande. If I could always nail the start, I think I might have some drops in other events too.

Next is just swimming well at NE Champs. I'd like to pop off a fast 100 IM.
    My starts and turns are some of the best... My college coach was pulling me out of distance sets to come over and show the "sprinters" how to do good fast turns, streamlines, etc. I was also the 50/100 guy for the medley relays.
    How many could go a 46.7 100 as well as a 15:53 1650?
    But you're right...I don't obsess about them, but I do put effort into them.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast