View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Back to the Gym, Tuesday, Nov, 1

Rate this Entry
Drylands:

RC exercises
HS hi row, 160 x 1 x 8, 170 x 2 x 8, 180 x 1 x 6
HS bench press, 70 x 1 x 8, 80 x 1 x 8, 90 x 1 x 8, 95 x 1 x 6
Deadlift, 95 x 1 x 8, 105 x 1 x 8, 115 x 1 x 8, 120 x 1 x 6 (hands slipping)
HS leg extensions, 50 x 1 x 8, 60 x 1 x 8, 65 x 1 x 6
overhead squats, 45 x 3 x 15

back extensions w/25 plate, 3 x 15
russian twist on incline bench w/25 plate, 3 x 25
power wheel pike ups, 2 x10
altitude drops, 10

ART, 30 minutes

Erg, 30 minutes

-- 2 x 15 w/1:00 sprints
-- then had to drive CC carpool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One further thought on the meet: As I noted, I was doing more kicks UW than usual and not getting very good distance per kick. I'm wondering if this is a reflection of the fact that I've switched to a more upper body oriented dryland workout and relied somewhat more on in pool leg strengthening? I'm inclined to think so. So I plan to return to regular deadlifts and squats. (I can visualize a Jazzy smirk here.)

I've also decided that I need to try compression tights again. I've read that wearing them for even an hour after workouts can help speed recovery and reduce inflammation. I wasn't that thrilled with my now old pair of Skins, which has been coopted for use by Fort Son and Mr. Fort anyway. So I'm opting for the more deluxe model: 2XU Recovery tights. Hopefully, I can be diligent about wearing them post workout for the next month to see if they make a difference. May also wear them at NE Champs between events. Saw Kurt Monster Dickson doing this at LCM Nationals, but then promptly forgot about it until recently when I was dwelling on recovery again.

I saw that Natalie Coughlin swam a 56+ 100 back in SCM. She hit the lane line at the finish and was excited that she had "room to improve." Sounds familiar ...

I also saw chocolate covered potato chips at Trader Joes today. Wow ...

Submit "Back to the Gym, Tuesday, Nov, 1" to Digg Submit "Back to the Gym, Tuesday, Nov, 1" to del.icio.us Submit "Back to the Gym, Tuesday, Nov, 1" to StumbleUpon Submit "Back to the Gym, Tuesday, Nov, 1" to Google

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    chocolate covered potato chips at Trader Joes
    I don't eat a lot of potato chips (practically none), but this might change my mind.

Kurt wore compression tights? I'll have to razz him about that. That's such a sprinter move
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    I don't eat a lot of potato chips (practically none), but this might change my mind.

Kurt wore compression tights? I'll have to razz him about that. That's such a sprinter move
    I'm guessing his cyclist wife turned him on to them.
    I just don't think there's enough evidence for your idea about dryland and DPK. There are so many other reasons that could be happening. I don't like to attribute anything in the pool to strength training over a period shorter than, like, 8 months.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Hands
    I just don't think there's enough evidence for your idea about dryland and DPK. There are so many other reasons that could be happening. I don't like to attribute anything in the pool to strength training over a period shorter than, like, 8 months.
    I hear ya. But its really since mid-July since I really hit the legs hard in the gym. Had a long taper in July and and weird August. I can't think of anything else I've done that differently. What do you think could change a DPK? Maybe the fact that I was somewhat shallow on the start and turn ...
    Updated November 1st, 2011 at 09:42 PM by The Fortress
    Congratulations on your 50 backs and the 25's!!! Excellent swims! I've been away from the forums & blogs for over a week and catching up on posts! Are you doing a SCM meet?
    I'm not an animal, I am a human being...

I've been wearing them for 3 years I think. I invented the post-it note, the internet, and was the first to wear compression tights in masters swimming (you are right...I get all my hand me downs from my athletically superior wife).

Congratulations on your record...I suppose it is getting boring by now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Dickson
    I thought we already debated this in the sandbagger thread.
    A 40 year old female went 1:03 in the 100 back SCM this past weekend. I find that more inspiring than Coughlin's swim, although both are noteworthy.
    Quote Originally Posted by chowmi
    Congratulations on your 50 backs and the 25's!!! Excellent swims! I've been away from the forums & blogs for over a week and catching up on posts! Are you doing a SCM meet?
    Yes, planning on going to NE Champs in Boston in December. I only have a couple SCM time so far this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Dickson

I've been wearing them for 3 years I think. I invented the post-it note, the internet, and was the first to wear compression tights in masters swimming (you are right...I get all my hand me downs from my athletically superior wife).

Congratulations on your record...I suppose it is getting boring by now.
    With the way you swim sometimes, I am suspicious ...

Do you think the compression tights help? What brand are you using? Do you ever bike with your wife? Mr. Fort is athletically superior as well, so I know how you feel.

Never boring! And I try to appreciate each one. I foresee a time at the end of SCY season where I may feel slightly unmotivated though. But I'm trying to make the most of my age up year.
    Quote Originally Posted by aquageek
    A 40 year old female went 1:03 in the 100 back SCM this past weekend. I find that more inspiring than Coughlin's swim, although both are noteworthy.
    Was that Erika Braun? If not, who? Yes, pretty amazing stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    I thought we already debated this in the sandbagger thread.
    Kurt and I are just selfish bloodsuckers. And I fully plan to carry on with my split request mode.
    We have the TJ chocolate covered potato chips, they're ok I guess. We got milk chocolate, not sure if that's all there are, but I'd much rather dark chocolate anything. The chip inside could use a little more crunch.

I splurged for compression shorts over the summer, and they work well when I remember to wear them. For some reason, they seem to make me much more sleepy. I got the ones with pockets where you could put ice packs, which is really nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Was that Erika Braun? If not, who? Yes, pretty amazing stuff.
    It was not Erika, although Erika had a spectacular meet. It was Sheri Hart.
    It was not Erika, although Erika had a spectacular meet. It was Sheri Hart.
    Sheri is just insane. Did she swim the 50 back too? Do you have a link to meet results? Any good meets down your way Jan-Feb?
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    We have the TJ chocolate covered potato chips, they're ok I guess. We got milk chocolate, not sure if that's all there are, but I'd much rather dark chocolate anything. The chip inside could use a little more crunch.

I splurged for compression shorts over the summer, and they work well when I remember to wear them. For some reason, they seem to make me much more sleepy. I got the ones with pockets where you could put ice packs, which is really nice.
    I remember that now! Did you get 2XUs or another brand? I think the key is using them consistently. Can't wait until mine arrive!
    Sheri Hart is crazy fast. 51.8 in the 100 free and 56.0 in the 100 back at Mesa Nationals.
    Sheri is just insane. Did she swim the 50 back too? Do you have a link to meet results? Any good meets down your way Jan-Feb?
    She only swam on Saturday.

Meet results:

http://www.dixiezone.org/Results/1110charlotte.pdf

The Sunbelt meet is always the last weekend of January. The Frank Clark meet in Feb or March is at the new G'boro pool along with the NC championship in early April.

Sheri is fast but Erika swims all the events both days and rips every single one. And, this meet has quite a short time line.
    She only swam on Saturday.

Meet results:

http://www.dixiezone.org/Results/1110charlotte.pdf

The Sunbelt meet is always the last weekend of January. The Frank Clark meet in Feb or March is at the new G'boro pool along with the NC championship in early April.

Sheri is fast but Erika swims all the events both days and rips every single one. And, this meet has quite a short time line.
    I see the Greensboro meet is March 3 ... I may have to think about that one ... It would be cool to swim there before Nationals.
    I remember that now! Did you get 2XUs or another brand? I think the key is using them consistently. Can't wait until mine arrive!
    I have the juggler knickers from this place:
    http://www.110playharder.com/men-viewall

No I didn't pay that much, there was an Active deal.
    I like that they cover the knee and acl.
    They take a little manuvering to get on, but not quite as bad as my swimming tech jammer.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast