View RSS Feed

aztimm's training blog

Monday 11072011, AM Swim

Rate this Entry
by , November 7th, 2011 at 03:54 PM (69 Views)
the Kino pool is closed for annual maintenance. those workouts are switched to Mesa-Carson pool.
I debated last night over going to Carson or the normal workouts at Skyline. when I went to bed, I had settled on Skyline, but for some odd reason I changed my mind this morning.

went up to Mesa-Carson for the AM masters swim workout
there's pretty much just 1 pool, a small kiddie-play area. a diving area off the main pool.
Paul was on deck coaching solo

it was POURING rain, and in the mid-40s when I got there (and drivers here were either going 20 mph or 75+ on the freeway)

got in 700 w/u various (a bit of breast)

1000 done as 75 free/25 stroke (I had a good view of the clock and held around 1:25/100)

8 x (
1 x 100 @ 1:25
1 x 50 stroke @ :50 IMO)

200 easy kick

5 x 200 pull, supposed to be--
odds @ 2:50
evens @ 2:40
I goofed after #2, here's what I ended up doing--
1-- 2:50
2--2:40
3--2:40
4--2:30
5--2:40

200 w/d

TTL: 4300 yards

started out with a very light group, maybe people went to Kino first, then drove over? or the rain slowed them down getting there (I had to think through where the pool was, hadn't been there in a year, and kinda tough to find in the dark when it is pouring)
I was in a lane between the fast and slower groups, and kinda meshed the workouts together. my usual workout partners weren't there (or near me), so much of this was solo

I thought I missed a set. I kept swimming for w/u, paused a couple times to see if Paul was near, but he was trying to keep dry. I don't think I did miss anything.
almost felt sorry for Paul, having to stand out in that mess... it is easier to ditch my stuff under cover, grab my gear bag, put my goggles on, step over to a lane, and dive right in (no chit-chat today)

the pool was a bit dirty, the water temp felt ok (I'd say a touch warmer than Kino has been). but the water in the showers was simply scalding, while that in the sinks was frigid. for showering, I stood about a foot away and tried to splash myself a little.

think I'll head over to Skyline for the remaining time I swim with the team until we're back at Kino. I asked how many people usually swim AM there, and someone said, "anywhere from 4 to 12 people." Tiffany coaches, and she's a bit tough.

I have an insane rest of this week and next. have a work meeting across town (like 50 miles from home) tomorrow, from 6am to 5pm+. Wednesday night I leave for an insane trip to Hong Kong, returning on Sunday (I do hope to swm + run over there, we'll see how that goes).
next Tuesday/Wednesday, conveniently, I have a work trip to Vegas (I usually swim with the more tame group in Henderson there, but may resort to the tougher workouts with the group in town).
with Thanksgiving the following week (and my 10k run, if I do it), I'll pretty much have like 2 weeks of real workouts between now and the meet on Dec 9.

Submit "Monday 11072011, AM Swim" to Digg Submit "Monday 11072011, AM Swim" to del.icio.us Submit "Monday 11072011, AM Swim" to StumbleUpon Submit "Monday 11072011, AM Swim" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Wednesday night I leave for an insane trip to Hong Kong, returning on Sunday (I do hope to swm + run over there, we'll see how that goes).
    I know where the 50M pool is in Kowloon, but not in Central. Bring a cap and flip flops, iirc the pool I planned to swim at required them, or I am thinking of a pool that pwb swam at that required them.

Fun fact, most Hong Kongians don't know how to swim, even though they are surrounded by water. Something about it not being safe to swim until you are an adult.

Sorry I can't join you, duck's feet sound great right now.
    Updated November 7th, 2011 at 06:42 PM by qbrain
    Thought my hotel was in Central? Or downtown, or whever much of the action is...

Anyway, supposedly the hotel has a, "lap pool," but we all know how that can go. I'll never forget the Manchester (UK) Hilton...a decent 20m pool (no lane markings though), kept at 30C.

SA gave me a CIBBOWS cap for swimming at Brighton, I'll try to remember to bring it with me, and I think I have my GTD cap somewhere. Not sure I'll be able to bring flip flops though...gonna try to just have a backpack and my messenger bag. If I skip real running shoes and just use my trail runners (that I'll be wearing for travel) I might have space. Or maybe skip an extra pair of jeans (do you want to sit next to me on the return trip, after I've been wearing the same jeans for 5 days?). Decisions, decisions. Have to get the priorities in though, iPhone, Kindle, and computer.
    This morning was brutal weather. I didn't even walk the dogs because of the rain (they got it this afternoon). It must have sucked for Paul. Coaching swimming in Arizona is a pretty tough job as the weather is rarely just right.

Wednesday to Sunday for Hong Kong? Good luck. I remember doing trips of that length to Japan and all I was able to do during the trip was float swim some laps. Then, afterwards, for a week or so, not much more in the pool.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Thought my hotel was in Central? Or downtown, or whever much of the action is...

Anyway, supposedly the hotel has a, "lap pool," but we all know how that can go. I'll never forget the Manchester (UK) Hilton...a decent 20m pool (no lane markings though), kept at 30C.

SA gave me a CIBBOWS cap for swimming at Brighton, I'll try to remember to bring it with me, and I think I have my GTD cap somewhere. Not sure I'll be able to bring flip flops though...gonna try to just have a backpack and my messenger bag. If I skip real running shoes and just use my trail runners (that I'll be wearing for travel) I might have space. Or maybe skip an extra pair of jeans (do you want to sit next to me on the return trip, after I've been wearing the same jeans for 5 days?). Decisions, decisions. Have to get the priorities in though, iPhone, Kindle, and computer.
    I had a 'you' in there that should not have been. I know where the 50M pool is in Kowloon, not in Central. You won't need anything special at the hotel pool.

The Conrad's pool is 20M http://www.swimmersguide.com/query/D...m?PoolID=17541

This is the pool I was talking about http://www.lcsd.gov.hk/beach/en/swim...hp#kowloonpark

Maybe while you are in Hong Kong, you should find a Chinese laundry so you don't have to pack so much. Or just buy clothes there, how much do you think Hugo Bosss costs in China?
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    This morning was brutal weather. I didn't even walk the dogs because of the rain (they got it this afternoon). It must have sucked for Paul. Coaching swimming in Arizona is a pretty tough job as the weather is rarely just right.

Wednesday to Sunday for Hong Kong? Good luck. I remember doing trips of that length to Japan and all I was able to do during the trip was float swim some laps. Then, afterwards, for a week or so, not much more in the pool.

Yea, I couldn't imagine being out in that rain yesterday. Was tough enough to just get myself there, but at least once I was in the water I was wet anyway, I didn't care about rain. Between rain and cold in winter, sun and heat in summer, coaching here cane be a chore. I'm glad Paul and Laura enjoy it and do it

It is a rather crazy trip, and I won't be there quite that long, as I'm taking a long way to get there (and back) to maximize miles.
    I've done these trips to Munich before, got in decent swims over there, and usually try to just shock my body into normal workouts when I return. But Hong Kong has quite a different time change than Europe.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    I had a 'you' in there that should not have been. I know where the 50M pool is in Kowloon, not in Central. You won't need anything special at the hotel pool.

The Conrad's pool is 20M http://www.swimmersguide.com/query/D...m?PoolID=17541

This is the pool I was talking about http://www.lcsd.gov.hk/beach/en/swim...hp#kowloonpark

Maybe while you are in Hong Kong, you should find a Chinese laundry so you don't have to pack so much. Or just buy clothes there, how much do you think Hugo Bosss costs in China?

Cool, I have no excuse now...at least 2 x 2k workouts while I'm there. The nice thing about the Hilton Manchester was waking up, putting on a suit, grabbing the robe and slippers, and elevator down. Between waking up and getting in the water was like 3 min.

I'm sure everything is available....for a price. I've done these trips before. Fitting everything in just a backpack is a bit intimidating at first, but I'll enjoy not having to deal with a rollerboard if I do it. I want to check out a sporting goods store over there, see if they have any interesting swimming or running stuff (maybe SA will get a surprise from me )