View RSS Feed

Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton

Alternative You's

Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Did you ever wonder what else you could have been had you taken other paths in life, made different choices here and there, pursued other career avenues, taken more or less or different risks, found refuge in a different set of arms, become a runner instead of a swimmer, etc.?

As an identical twin, I have the ability to glimpse answers to such wonderings via the miracle of nature that is human cloning.

To be sure, researchers now know that a variety of transcription factors can turn various genes on and off in complex ways mediated by the environment, so that identical twins slowly become less alike over the decades. Still, we started off with identical DNA, and even though it is likely that we are not currently expressing exactly the same complement of genes, we do represent something of a living laboratory for the study of a single organism taking two different paths in life.

Those who know John and me also know that it is John who has blundered onto the better road, the high road, if you will, while I have meandered along the potholed low road, stumble-bumbling my way along, havoc and disharmony in my wake, like a comet's polluted tail, or, less grandiosely, the flatulent clouds that follow a nervous steer down the chutes of the abattoir.

In tonight's vlog, I present my twin brother John's recent film wherein he reimagines a myriad of even more alternative routes he himself (and by extension, me, his trollish clone!) might have taken had we been born at different points in the history of art.

John, as I think I may have posted somewhere earlier in the vloggish memoir, was a swimmer at one point in his life, a member of the Junior Varsity at the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, where his greatest athetic achievement was not so much as a swimmer but as the inventor of the game John Ball.

Mitch Kupchack was one of many members of the Tarheels bball team to play John Ball, which involved a hand ball, the elevator banks at Granville Towers which housed the basketball team, and horrified co-eds, before the game was permanently banned from campus.

Still, John's swimming accomplishments are no small matter. He still holds Thornton family records in the 100 freestyle, backstroke, and butterfly.

That's neither here nor there, I suppose, at this stage of our lives. As indicated earlier, John's charming new film highlights many other scenarios that, as fate would have it, are also neither here nor there but quite possible could have been both here and there had we been here or there...

We (and by we, I mean he) herewith presents more Alternative Us's to give you fodder for rumination about your own Alternative You's, and in so doing, find a portion of contentment in your actual lot:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq2VWDd8CDM"]YouTube - John Thornton Takes You on a Wild Art History Tour![/ame]

Submit "Alternative You's" to Digg Submit "Alternative You's" to del.icio.us Submit "Alternative You's" to StumbleUpon Submit "Alternative You's" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

You, or your brother are amazing with photoshop!
    Could you post the rules for "John Ball" please.
    Amazing!

Jimby, if your vlogs aren't proof enough that you're taking the high road to Loch Lomond (or at the very least, an overpass), then this will convince you-

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjZBlgylqFw"]YouTube - Loch Lomond You Take the High Road[/ame]

I'm off in a cloud of flatulence to have a wine snifter.
    Tis indeed a bonnie song, a mist-to-the-eyes bringer for any who suffers existential frailty! I was inspired, Amanda, to look up the lyrics. Perhaps you who separated more lately from the Empire's Dominion know more about the English poesy. I had no idea this song was about a Loch, no doubt one as cold as the one where you almost perished from hypothermia in Austin!

Red Is The Rose / Loch Lomond
    Come over the hills, my bonny Irish lass, come over tha hills to your darling,
    You choose the rose, love, and I'll take the vow, and I'll be your true love forever.
    chorus 1
    Oh, red is the rose, that in yonder garden grows; fair is the lily of the valley,
    Clear is the water that fows from the Boyne, and my love is fairer than any.
    By yon bonnie banks and by yon bonnie braes, where the sun shines bright on Loch Lomond,
    Where me and my true love would ever want to go, on the bonnie, bonnie banks of Loch Lomond.

chorus 2
    Oh you take the high road and I'll take the low road, and I'll be in Scotland afore ye,
    Where me and my true love will never meet again, on the bonnie, bonnie banks of Loch Lomond.

'Twas down by Killarney's green woods that we strayed, where the moon and the stars, they were shining.
    The moon shone its rays o'er her locks of golden hair, and she swore she'd be my love forever. chorus 1
    I mind where we parted, in yon shady glen, on the steep, steep, side of Ben Lomond,
    Where in deep purple hues the highland hills we viewed, and the moon comin, out in the gloamin'., chorus 2

It's not for the partin' from my sister Kate, and it's not for the grief of my mother,
    It's all for the loss of my bonny Irish lass, that my heart is breaking forever. chorus 1, chorus 1 & 2 together
    I will invite Johnny boy to recount the rules and some of his favorite memories of John Ball. I think that George Karl, and possibly Robert Macadoo, also played the sport for the 1 or 2 days before it was banned forever.
    You are a far far better man than I shall ever be, it is a far far better place that you shall go than I have ever been before. Or something like that, mine twin!
    That looks like a lethal head wound through Thortonneus' head--how he is alive...is it magic?

lucre and poontang...masterful.