View RSS Feed

Of Swimming Bondage

FASTival

Rate this Entry
by , November 12th, 2011 at 08:24 PM (87 Views)
Swam at the wonderfully-formatted Scottsdale Aquatic Club FASTival meet this morning in 'prelims' with results much better than expected:

400 IM -- 4:23.19
After last week's meet, I thought I could approach 4:20, but after how I felt yesterday, I had decided I'd be happy with sub 4:25, so I was pleased. After the fly, there wasn't anyone to push me, but my splits were good -- 59.4, 1:06.2, 1:16.6, 1:01.0.

My best tapered non-tech suit time is 4:17.04 from Austin Nationals and I'm looking to get under 4:15 in Greensboro. Given that I'm wrapping up a pretty intense 4 week training cycle, I am both quite happy with this swim and feel that I'm on the right path.

200 fly -- 2:02.81
Completely and utterly stoked with this swim. As my 200 IM and 200 fly are usually spot on the same time, I figured my 2:09 200 IM time from last week's meet, adjusted for having done that as my 5th event, meant a 2:05 was within reason for my 200 fly today. Splits were roughly 28.5 / 31.2 / 31.3 / 31.8. I'm beginning to love this event more and more; getting under 2:00 by Nationals should be very doable.

Hopefully officiating the afternoon 12 & under session won't do too much a number on my legs for two more mini-sessions tomorrow:

• Semi-finals:
    • 200 IM
    • 100 fly

• Finals
    • 100 IM
    • 50 fly

On the kid front, all Brundage girls posted anywhere from 2 to 3 best times across 3 swims each. #3 was the star of the kid show, swimming the 200 IM, 100 back and 100 fly and making her 'regional' qualifying times (feeder meet before our state championships with 10 & under 'BB' standards as cuts) in every event.

Submit "FASTival" to Digg Submit "FASTival" to del.icio.us Submit "FASTival" to StumbleUpon Submit "FASTival" to Google

Comments

Congrats on the fast times. What was your best ever times in these two events in college??

My best tapered non-tech suit time
    I think we shouldn't even worry about this line anymore. (I never ever used one anyway, probably couldn't have afforded them either!) By the time I was starting into masters they were phasing out the tech suits. And the college days were regular brief type suits of whatever material they were in the late 90s.
    Wow. Brundage domination!
    Dude super swims! On the standing on the deck thing, I will send you over a horse, you will be 10 feet off the ground, improved view as well.
    Stud!
    Wow, nice swims. I hope your dad is competing during Brundage weekend as well.
    Updated November 13th, 2011 at 08:13 AM by qbrain
    Gulp... waving the white flag on the 2FR.
    Congrats on those swims, and on those pretty splits on both races. Have a blast in the shorter distances! What a cool format for a meet.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Wow, nice swims. I hope you dad is competing during Brundage weekend as well.
    I don't know about this weekend, but Pappa Brundage competed last weekend:

http://www.vaswim.org/2011/11/vmst-a...-meet-results/

He set one new LMSC record (800 free) in his age group. I saw him in the parking lot the other day, he was happy to get back to competing after a bit of a layoff.

Nice job on your swims, Patrick. Both are excellent, you should be WAY under 2min in the fly when you taper.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Congrats on the fast times. What was your best ever times in these two events in college??.
    I was 3:57.7 in the IM, and around 1:53 in the 200 fly. I never really trained for or swam the 200 fly tapered, though. My fly improved a lot through college as I was above 2:00 in HS, I believe. I imagine I could've gone closer to 1:51 had I really trained for it, but that's just speculation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Viva O Fear
    On the standing on the deck thing, I will send you over a horse, you will be 10 feet off the ground, improved view as well.
    That would be super-cool. And, as I doubt USA. Swimming ever contemplated that scenario, it's probably not even banned in the rule book
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo
    Gulp... waving the white flag on the 2FR.
    I am finding the 200 free a MUCH harder race to figure out than the 200 fly. Although I still would've liked my last 50 of my fly to be a little faster, it feels like a race I know how to pace. On the 200 free, though, if I try to build that like I do my fly, I go out too slow; if I try to go out fast on the free, I don't actually get out too fast, bvut do exert too much effort. End result is that, depending upon the meet order in Greensboro, there's a hig probability I will NOT swim the 200 free. If the OOO works out, I'd prefer to do:100 and 200 fly, 200 and 400 IM, 500 free and probably then a fun event like 50 fly, 100 IM or 200 back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stevenson
    I don't know about this weekend, but Pappa Brundage competed last weekend:

http://www.vaswim.org/2011/11/vmst-a...-meet-results/

He set one new LMSC record (800 free) in his age group. I saw him in the parking lot the other day, he was happy to get back to competing after a bit of a layoff.
    He's a stud. I think he's trying to get all the LMSC records. I just have to convince him to compete long course so he can set some of those and meet me in Omaha..
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stevenson
    well, unless I get a wild hair up my a** and decide to do one of the distance events, I think this means definitely no 200 free and probably the 50 fly for my fun event. Until Nationals has a format with both distance events on different days, I doubt I'll swim them at Nationals. I find it too difficult to train and taper for both a 1000 (or 1650) and then the shorter stuff (200/400/500). I'll try to knock out a good 1650 in January and a decent 1000 in March so I can focus on shorter stuff @ Nationals.