View RSS Feed

Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine

Riverton Meet (scm) 11/13/11

Rate this Entry
I made the trip up to Maine on Saturday to stay with friends and to swim at the 4th Annual Greater Portland Meet. My buddies live ten blocks from the pool, so it was a good reason to head up for a quick weekend.

An added bonus was a start and turn clinic held an hour before warmups, at no charge. Without having a full-fledged coach with our workout group, it was good to get a refresher on proper techniques, especially with the starts. I was able to work with Doug on the back start, and I think it helped a lot for the swim.

Clinic (we'll say distance = 200)
---
Warm up:
200 FR/ 200 BK
3 x 50 kick (FR, BK, FL)
4 x 50 swim, last 1/4 fast
150 ez
(900 total)

For the swims ...
(100 ez swim)

100 Free: seed 59.95, swam 1:00.43 (29.40, 31.03)
- Felt ok, but not as strong as the scy meets this spring. I was hoping to get under :60, but that was not to be. I was thinking more about really cranking on the next swim ...

(3 heats, 100 cool down swim)

100 Back: seed 1:11.55, swam 1:07.75 (34.80, 32.95)
- Felt great! I was happy to have worked on the start before the meet, as I think the modest improvement from my usually dreadful one helped. I really worked the underwater sdk, even though I need to keep working it more. I went all out on the third lap and pushed it coming home. I'm interested in the splits, which I will post once I see them - took it out too slow, but I'm still very happy with this.

(5 heats, 100 ez)

200 Free: seed 2:15.15, swam 2:18.62 (31.22, 35.43, 36.32, 35.65)
- I had a feeling this was not going to be good as my heart was still pumping from the back. I felt like I had no air, which is pointing out to me that I need to work more on training for the 200's.

(100 ez, and a nice break before heading into the sprints)

50 Back: seed 32.56, swam 31.18
- Worked the start and underwaters again here. Felt very good.

(1 heat rest before ...)

50 Fly: seed 32.65, swam 31.02
- Tired but the swim was a good one. My turn was slow, but I don't really practice fly much. My lungs were shot so I did not have great skd, but I was happy with the time.

100 easy warm down, and a four hour drive home.

-----------------

I had a great weekend in Maine, "the way life should be." The clinic was a great addition to the meet, and I was able to meet some great folks in the Portland area. It was easy to pick out jbs during warmups when he was describing the insane events he was swimming, and it was good to chat with him during the meet. An added bonus was the water and halloween candy hold-overs that we could munch on during the meet. I was able to get some coaching advice from Mike and Doug too.

Giving my lackluster week, I was really happy with these times. I have not swum scm since 1992, so I tried to pick seeds at where I wanted to be at this point. Since I am only going to get to two meets this "season," my philosophy is not to repeat any events, get some times, and then see what happens next year. My great experiment for the first "official" year back in the pool.

I made it home in time to join the family at the local "Empty Bowls" event in town. A $10 donation allows you to pick out a hand made bowl that volunteers make throughout the summer, then fill it up with over 10 varieties of soup donated by local restaurants, with some bread and them cookies for dessert. The proceeds benefit the food pantries and fuel fund in the Bennington area, so a great way to have a meal with friends and strangers plus help out many of those in our area that are struggling to get food or fuel into their homes. Especially after the damage that Irene brought.

Submit "Riverton Meet (scm) 11/13/11" to Digg Submit "Riverton Meet (scm) 11/13/11" to del.icio.us Submit "Riverton Meet (scm) 11/13/11" to StumbleUpon Submit "Riverton Meet (scm) 11/13/11" to Google

Updated November 18th, 2011 at 08:31 PM by rxleakem (Adding results/splits)

Categories
Masters Swim Meets / Events

Comments

which is pointing out to me that I need to work more on training for the 200's
    Yes, that's quite a dropoff from the 100 to the 200 in comparing the two times. A little more endurance work would definitely help.
    Good solid efforts though. Nice job.
    Congrats on your meet--those are some nice times! Cool about the pre-meet clinic. I know I can always use help with my starts and turns.