View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Monday, Nov. 14

Rate this Entry
by , November 14th, 2011 at 03:14 PM (4252 Views)
Swim/SCY/Solo:

600 various

8 x 50
odds = caterpillar drill @ 1:15
evens = single arm fly @ 1:00

8 x 25 shooters w/fins
50 EZ

Main Sets:

12 x 25 burst @ 1:00
-- At this point, it became clear to me that I wouldn't be sprinting today, so defaulted to easy aerobic work.
50 EZ

5 x:
100 IM smooth @ 2:00
50 kick, 25 fast + 25 EZ @ 1:00

20 x 50 kick w/fins @ :45
odds = dolphin kick
evens = flutter kick
-- held 29-32

100 EZ

8 x 25 breast kick

Total: 3600

Stretching/Yoga, 30 minutes

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Feeling much better cold wise. But I was fairly sore and tired today from Saturday drylands; may have overdone it a bit. So I shifted the speed workout until tomorrow. Also did not get as much sleep as usual this weekend with Lil Fort having an early soccer game Sat. and an early race on Sun. I was very proud of her; she ran 22:42 on a hilly 5K course with Mr. Fort. She was a little taken aback when a couple HS cross county runners (whom she beat) came up and asked her where she was going to high school.

I am also slightly worried about my elbows. They've been sore since I bumped the weights up on the deadlift (I find it amusing that my auto correct always wants to type this as deadliest) and hi row. I've never had a single issue with my elbows before, so I'm not sure what to make out of it. I may have to ratchet down the upper body weights somewhat for awhile and stop doing torque drills with paddles.

And just for kicks and inspired by Speedo, I went on myfitnesspal.com to see what it had to say about caloric intake. After putting in my info and stating I worked out 2 hours 6x week, it said I should be eating 1300 calories per day to lose 1 pound per week. I would freakin' starve on that!

And just to annoy Jazz, an article from NYT on athletes and aging:
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/1...ough-exercise/. I found nothing stupid about it.

Submit "Monday, Nov. 14" to Digg Submit "Monday, Nov. 14" to del.icio.us Submit "Monday, Nov. 14" to StumbleUpon Submit "Monday, Nov. 14" to Google

Updated November 14th, 2011 at 03:30 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts , Yoga

Comments

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Maybe time for sculling drills to go easy on the elbows!

Great promise in Lil' Fort! That is a very fast time!!!
    It sounds like you went through different setup options than I did. In addition to my dimensions, it just asked me what my lifestyle was like and I told it had a desk job and am not a beat cop or bikram instructor. I then just plug in the exercise type and duration and it tells me that "I burned 837cal" this morning doing 90min of "light to moderate freestyle" or whatever. I just had a 140cal CocaCola, which I find to be a caloric rip off.
    Glad you feel better, finally.

After putting in my info and stating I worked out 2 hours 6x week, it said I should be eating 1300 calories per day to lose 1 pound per week. I would freakin' starve on that!
    LOL WOW! I bet you would lose weight at 1300 calories/day.

Jazz is too young to worry about aging.
    Quote Originally Posted by chowmi
    Maybe time for sculling drills to go easy on the elbows!

Great promise in Lil' Fort! That is a very fast time!!!
    Yes, probably should add sculling. Though it seems to bother me more in the weight room. Just don't want to get tendonitis or something.

She is a speedy one. Like Daddy and Fort Son.
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo
    It sounds like you went through different setup options than I did. In addition to my dimensions, it just asked me what my lifestyle was like and I told it had a desk job and am not a beat cop or bikram instructor. I then just plug in the exercise type and duration and it tells me that "I burned 837cal" this morning doing 90min of "light to moderate freestyle" or whatever. I just had a 140cal CocaCola, which I find to be a caloric rip off.
    Sugar pop and alcohol are probably the worst calorie offenders. Damn.

I did do a different set up option. So you put what you do for exercise in each day?

I also have no idea how many calories are in the smoothies I have for breakfast every day ...
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Glad you feel better, finally.

LOL WOW! I bet you would lose weight at 1300 calories/day.

Jazz is too young to worry about aging.
    I'm sure I'm more than double that on most days, especially since I refuse to give up wine completely.

Jazz is primarily worried about big guns. Us geezers are worried about not going to hell and overuse injuries and sleep.

Any suggestions in the weight room wrt the elbows?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Sugar pop and alcohol are probably the worst calorie offenders.
    Where did you read that? I want to make sure I don't read it.
    Any suggestions in the weight room wrt the elbows?
    No, I am baffled. My elbows bother me if I hyper extend on lockouts, but you are doing pulls, so lockouts shouldn't be an issue.

If you figure out why your elbows are bothering you on pulls, I would like to know.
    No, I am baffled. My elbows bother me if I hyper extend on lockouts, but you are doing pulls, so lockouts shouldn't be an issue.

If you figure out why your elbows are bothering you on pulls, I would like to know.
    Could it be the deadlifts? Arms locked out on those? Or the heavy push presses I was doing?
    Updated November 14th, 2011 at 04:02 PM by The Fortress
    And just for kicks and inspired by Speedo, I went on myfitnesspal.com to see what it had to say about caloric intake. After putting in my info and stating I worked out 2 hours 6x week, it said I should be eating 1300 calories per day to lose 1 pound per week. I would freakin' starve on that!
    A Big Mac combo at McD's large sized with a Coke has about that many calories...not that I really care.

Maybe you should talk to That Guy about losing weight...he seems to be a consistent 1 pound per week average according to his blog. I do have to admit, he looks a little "thinner in the middle". He claims cutting out alcohol, but I think his better half just isn't feeding him at night.
    Where did you read that? I want to make sure I don't read it.
    lol

Isn't it common knowledge that alcohol is empty calories and that it prevents the break down of other food which then gets stored as fat? And it's an anti-PED.

This all matters to Mr. Fort, and somehow not to me much.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    A Big Mac combo at McD's large sized with a Coke has about that many calories...not that I really care.

Maybe you should talk to That Guy about losing weight...he seems to be a consistent 1 pound per week average according to his blog. I do have to admit, he looks a little "thinner in the middle". He claims cutting out alcohol, but I think his better half just isn't feeding him at night.
    One day you'll care, young whippersnapper!

I think cutting out alcohol can have a huge effect. Good for Doug. And perhaps he's the chef in the family? :-)
    Could it be the deadlifts? Arms locked out on those?
    Why would you lock out your elbows?

Do you do the high rows fast? I could see you locking out if you were lifting for speed and actually pushing the weight back down.

Where in the elbow is the problem?
    I really need to start drinking so I can give it up and lose weight.

You could probably diagnose where the elbow issue is coming from by abstaining from one of the lifting exercises to see if it gets better. The deadliest always hurts my knees the most if I don't do some jumps or something to loosen them up first.
    Why would you lock out your elbows?

Do you do the high rows fast? I could see you locking out if you were lifting for speed and actually pushing the weight back down.

Where in the elbow is the problem?
    What is your definition of locked out? Isn't it just straight arms?

But as I think of it, I may have "locked out" a few times on the pull down. Will try to avoid that.

The pain is mostly on the inside and outside of the main joint, the epocondyl area. I also have hyper flexible elbows. I wonder if that has anything to do with it?
    Updated November 14th, 2011 at 04:37 PM by The Fortress
    Quote Originally Posted by swimmerb212
    I really need to start drinking so I can give it up and lose weight.

You could probably diagnose where the elbow issue is coming from by abstaining from one of the lifting exercises to see if it gets better. The deadliest always hurts my knees the most if I don't do some jumps or something to loosen them up first.
    Your kids haven't driven you to drink yet?

I think it's the deadliest. Thankfully, it never bothers my knees and previously has never bothered my elbows.
    What is your definition of locked out? Isn't it just straight arms?
    Locked out is when you are at the limit of range of your elbow and this can cause a problem lifting if you slam into this position. If you stop at straight without fully locking out, that should protect the elbow joint. If this was your problem your pain would be near the tip of your elbow when your arm is straight (or locked out ). But not your problem.

The pain is mostly on the inside and outside of the main joint, the epocondyl area.
    I think your problem is from holding the weights. Your forearms are ready for the weight you can handle on the dead lifts. If they are still sore more than 3 days, lay off the deadlifts for a while, overwise feel free to remake them sore every few days

I think your problem is from holding the weights. Your forearms are ready for the weight you can handle on the dead lifts. If they are still sore more than 3 days, lay off the deadlifts for a while, overwise feel free to remake them sore every few days
    Thx Q.

Did you mean the forearms are not ready? This would not surprise me at all.

No, I may be stupid sometimes, but not stupid enough to continue with two meets in the next few weeks.
    Did you mean the forearms are not ready? This would not surprise me at all.
    Yes sorry. They are not ready.
    Yes sorry. They are not ready.
    From a quick read, it seems like I may have been doing them too often as well. At least according to Testosterone Nation among other quick googles. Maybe I should stick to 1x every two weeks since they are so taxing.

In fact, it doesn't seem like doing any of the "big" exercise -- squats, deadlifts, bench, HS rows -- frequently. is advisable. Maybe by rotating exercises so frequently I've inadvertently been doing something right.
    Updated November 14th, 2011 at 08:29 PM by The Fortress
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast