View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Monday, Nov. 14

Rate this Entry
by , November 14th, 2011 at 03:14 PM (4324 Views)
Swim/SCY/Solo:

600 various

8 x 50
odds = caterpillar drill @ 1:15
evens = single arm fly @ 1:00

8 x 25 shooters w/fins
50 EZ

Main Sets:

12 x 25 burst @ 1:00
-- At this point, it became clear to me that I wouldn't be sprinting today, so defaulted to easy aerobic work.
50 EZ

5 x:
100 IM smooth @ 2:00
50 kick, 25 fast + 25 EZ @ 1:00

20 x 50 kick w/fins @ :45
odds = dolphin kick
evens = flutter kick
-- held 29-32

100 EZ

8 x 25 breast kick

Total: 3600

Stretching/Yoga, 30 minutes

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Feeling much better cold wise. But I was fairly sore and tired today from Saturday drylands; may have overdone it a bit. So I shifted the speed workout until tomorrow. Also did not get as much sleep as usual this weekend with Lil Fort having an early soccer game Sat. and an early race on Sun. I was very proud of her; she ran 22:42 on a hilly 5K course with Mr. Fort. She was a little taken aback when a couple HS cross county runners (whom she beat) came up and asked her where she was going to high school.

I am also slightly worried about my elbows. They've been sore since I bumped the weights up on the deadlift (I find it amusing that my auto correct always wants to type this as deadliest) and hi row. I've never had a single issue with my elbows before, so I'm not sure what to make out of it. I may have to ratchet down the upper body weights somewhat for awhile and stop doing torque drills with paddles.

And just for kicks and inspired by Speedo, I went on myfitnesspal.com to see what it had to say about caloric intake. After putting in my info and stating I worked out 2 hours 6x week, it said I should be eating 1300 calories per day to lose 1 pound per week. I would freakin' starve on that!

And just to annoy Jazz, an article from NYT on athletes and aging:
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/1...ough-exercise/. I found nothing stupid about it.

Submit "Monday, Nov. 14" to Digg Submit "Monday, Nov. 14" to del.icio.us Submit "Monday, Nov. 14" to StumbleUpon Submit "Monday, Nov. 14" to Google

Updated November 14th, 2011 at 03:30 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts , Yoga

Comments

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Maybe you should talk to That Guy about losing weight...he seems to be a consistent 1 pound per week average according to his blog. I do have to admit, he looks a little "thinner in the middle".
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    In fact, it doesn't seem like doing any of the "big" exercise -- squats, deadlifts, bench, HS rows -- is advisable.
    What...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Hands
    What...
    I meant doing them frequently. Edited my post.
    I meant doing them frequently. Edited my post.
    Oh. Interesting that I just decided to try doing them more frequently.
    What's your reasoning?

And I really meant frequently at a heavy weight, to be clear. And of course everyone is different in how they respond.
    What's your reasoning?

And I really meant frequently at a heavy weight, to be clear.
    Well, depending on the definition of "heavy"...

My reasoning is I know what exercises are the most effective, and I'll make the most efficient use of my time by doing those exercises.
    Thanks for the article link.

Calories are bogus and a stupid way, IMHO WOSETBUMH*, to think about losing weight.

With your gluten issues, wine is likely better than beer.

I already knew this, but I'm never putting up 'Team Brundage' against 'Team Livingston' in any sort of triathlon unless we've got like a 10K swim, 1K run and 1K bike.

*With Out Scientific Evidence To Back Up My Hypothesis
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    I already knew this, but I'm never putting up 'Team Brundage' against 'Team Livingston' in any sort of triathlon unless we've got like a 10K swim, 1K run and 1K bike.
    Isn't that still even too much running???
    Calories are bogus and a stupid way, IMHO WOSETBUMH*, to think about losing weight.
    IMHO all of the other ways are bogus. A lot of diets come with some special mechanism that they supposedly use to get around the energy in/out equation, but they are really just clever ways of getting you to eat less without counting calories. Low carb comes to mind. It's supposedly all about the evils of insulin (read Gary Taubes to see what I'm talking about), but the science behind that idea doesn't actually exist. Low carb diets actually work for a combination of reasons all related to calorie consumption: protein is very filling, low-carb means low variety, etc.

So, yes, there are certain ways of eating that cause people to lose weight without counting calories. But they all ultimately work by energy restriction.
    Well, depending on the definition of "heavy"...

My reasoning is I know what exercises are the most effective, and I'll make the most efficient use of my time by doing those exercises.
    So no more face pulls?

Well, on Saturday, I deadlifted 165 x 5 x 5. That's definitely heavy for me, and it seems to have wiped me out. (Though of course it could have been the cumulative effect of the other things I did.)

Some quick research yesterday suggested that doing these exercises more than 1x week could create some exhaustion and overuse injuries. And it seems like you have to be careful with your elbows and wrists.
    IMHO all of the other ways are bogus. A lot of diets come with some special mechanism that they supposedly use to get around the energy in/out equation, but they are really just clever ways of getting you to eat less without counting calories. Low carb comes to mind. It's supposedly all about the evils of insulin (read Gary Taubes to see what I'm talking about), but the science behind that idea doesn't actually exist. Low carb diets actually work for a combination of reasons all related to calorie consumption: protein is very filling, low-carb means low variety, etc.

So, yes, there are certain ways of eating that cause people to lose weight without counting calories. But they all ultimately work by energy restriction.
    The problem is that not all people are diet responders. Other things, like hormones, can interfere with an attempt to lose weight via calorie restriction.
    Thanks for the article link.

With your gluten issues, wine is likely better than beer.

*With Out Scientific Evidence To Back Up My Hypothesis
    For me, I agree. I could easily lose a few pounds by cutting out certain foods/wine. And counting calories seems very tedious (measuring servings) and somewhat imprecise. However, there does seem to be value in tracking food intake with a food log. Everything I've read suggests that this in and of itself will cause one to restrict calories.
    I deadlifted 165 x 5 x 5
    Deadlifts are one exercise I don't do 5x5 of. Since you are Ms. Variety, I would suggest only doing one set of heavy deadlifts and being done with them. Warm up the legs and back with something other than deadlifts and save the forearms for the heavy set.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Deadlifts are one exercise I don't do 5x5 of.
    How come?
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo
    How come?
    My forearms are my limiting factor, and my goal with deadlifts isn't to workout my forearms.

With squats, my core my be the weakest link in the chain, but that would be fine as a limiting factor because I don't want to lift more weight than I can safely stabilize. But with deadlifts, I am more than happy to lift a weight that is more than I can hold for the time it would take to do 5 sets of 5.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    My forearms are my limiting factor, and my goal with deadlifts isn't to workout my forearms.
    Straps.
    So no more face pulls?

Well, on Saturday, I deadlifted 165 x 5 x 5. That's definitely heavy for me, and it seems to have wiped me out. (Though of course it could have been the cumulative effect of the other things I did.)

Some quick research yesterday suggested that doing these exercises more than 1x week could create some exhaustion and overuse injuries. And it seems like you have to be careful with your elbows and wrists.
    Face pulls I might try to fit in at some point.

I'm compensating for the frequency with low volume. I don't know what your sources are for this frequency stuff, but this 1x-a-week rule is not science, it's just what gym bros are used to. Frequency, intensity, and volume can all be traded to prevent overuse injury. Common sense.
    I'm compensating for the frequency with low volume. I don't know what your sources are for this frequency stuff, but this 1x-a-week rule is not science, it's just what gym bros are used to. Frequency, intensity, and volume can all be traded to prevent overuse injury. Common sense.
    Don't remember. Must have read 10 different articles re: deadlift. And I didn't mean to say that 1x week was a "rule" or science. There were just many references to "overtraining" deadlifts. It also sounded like there were speed strength benefits to training it at a lower weight as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo
    How come?
    Are you still using your weight plan from last spring? Or have you further modified?
    The problem is that not all people are diet responders
    I agree and the flip side is not all people are calorie responders. For me and one of my daughters, we can pretty much eat anything and can vary the total daily calories from big to huge and see practically no impact on our weight. Maybe calorie counting works for some people, but I think each person needs to figure out the right blend of exercise and food for their body. One size fits all solutions are a remnant of 1950s or earlier thinking about the homogeneity of people. You can see the extreme end of this drive towards personalized solutions in medicine, particularly with R&D on drugs and 'drug cocktail' customizations at an individual level for the 'same disease.'. Diet and exercise are no different.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast