View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Thursday, Nov. 7

Rate this Entry
by , November 17th, 2011 at 08:24 PM (1753 Views)
I did an even shorter workout than Speedo today. 0 yardage. My day was booked solid and I am still not 100%. So I figured a rest day wouldn't hurt, and might set up a good speed workout tomorrow.

In other news, I've been asking around and doing some research to see if there are any personal trainers/strength coaches I might trust in the area. I've been pretty happy (and lucky) having Q and Jazz giving me many pointers over the years and learning OMO. But I'm still curious. The best person in my immediate area seems to be a guy named Justin Case who owns Underground Athlete. http://www.undergroundathlete.com/. I may try a couple sessions after Xmas to see what I think.

I'm also not that thrilled with my current massage therapist. I might try a new place soon that caters to endurance athletes: http://www.transitionsmassage.com/. Take note Speedo, this is very close to you. Will call tomorrow to see if I can book an appt the day after the LC meet.

I was also offered (and accepted) a position as one of the USMS on line coaches. (Scott Bay of BluFrog suggested it.) They are broadening the types of workout focus next year. My theme is "high intensity." Any good suggestions for a title for my sub-forum?

Oh, I can't get my USMS blue seventy code to work. Anyone else have any luck?

Submit "Thursday, Nov. 7" to Digg Submit "Thursday, Nov. 7" to del.icio.us Submit "Thursday, Nov. 7" to StumbleUpon Submit "Thursday, Nov. 7" to Google

Updated November 17th, 2011 at 09:48 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

  1. That Guy's Avatar
    Congratulations! Does this mean that you will be posting workouts like Paul Smith? Ok, bad example...
  2. qbrain's Avatar
    I think it is JustIn Case. Capitalization matters. The personal trainer would be an interesting experiment.

    High intensity training coach? Are you including gym workouts too?

    Possible titles:
    - The HIT woMan - High Intensity Training Masters
    - FAP FAP to AFAP (will probably get you banned as soon as they figure out FAP isn't a acronym)
    - Fortress' Unorthodox Combat Kinesiology
    - How girls train faster than Speedo
    - The secret inside story to world record setting times ONLY 3 easy payments of $19.99!
  3. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy
    Congratulations! Does this mean that you will be posting workouts like Paul Smith? Ok, bad example...
    Yes, I will be posting in the upper part of workout section. I've stolen and modified dozens of Tall Paul workouts over the years ... I doubt he'll be posting anymore though, especially with a permanent (really?!) ban.
  4. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    I think it is JustIn Case. Capitalization matters. The personal trainer would be an interesting experiment.

    High intensity training coach? Are you including gym workouts too?

    Possible titles:
    - The HIT woMan - High Intensity Training Masters
    - FAP FAP to AFAP (will probably get you banned as soon as they figure out FAP isn't a acronym)
    - Fortress' Unorthodox Combat Kinesiology
    - How girls train faster than Speedo
    - The secret inside story to world record setting times ONLY 3 easy payments of $19.99!
    I feel up for an experiment. Not sure I want to be turned into a kettle ball competitor though!

    Jim had suggested "Leslie's Core Values." But I am only posting sprint based training workouts from what I understand. It would be cool if they had a sub-fora for a strength coach. Although then Jazz might get banned.

    I like the combat kinesiology one! But probably won't work without drylands.
  5. pwb's Avatar
    I'll see you in the workout zone.
  6. qbrain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Jim had suggested "Leslie's Core Values." But I am only posting sprint based training workouts from what I understand. It would be cool if they had a sub-fora for a strength coach. Although then Jazz might get banned.
    You have to post a years worth of workouts, right? 52 installments of Leslie on Nutrition, Drylands and Sprinting (LoNaDS) I think would be more fun and interesting than pure sprint workouts. Of course, I have never read your workouts so
  7. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    I'll see you in the workout zone.
    I'm still going to blog! My workouts will be more aspirational for the perfect person who doesn't get sick or injured.
  8. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    You have to post a years worth of workouts, right? 52 installments of Leslie on Nutrition, Drylands and Sprinting (LoNaDS) I think would be more fun and interesting than pure sprint workouts. Of course, I have never read your workouts so
    Maybe I should re-name my blog! I get my actual job assignment on Monday. But, from what I can tell, all the entries in the workout section are strictly swimming. You will still get my dryland and nutrition experiments here.

    Today's smoothie was: blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, red grapes, flax seeds, chia seeds, hemp protein, probiotics, bok choy, spinach, and magnesium-arginine power. How could I ever figure out how many calories were in it?
  9. couldbebetterfly's Avatar
    Congratulations - looking forward to reading the workouts (can't promise I'll swim any though).....

    HITting the pool with Fort
    How to chick guys using fins, parachutes and other toys
    Swim faster, faster - oh wait that's already been done, best stop now.
  10. aztimm's Avatar
    Great news on the workouts! Maybe I'll actually do one of your workouts some day...

    It can be tough finding a good massage person. I just happened onto a great woman, who happens to be both an LMT and an ultra runner.
  11. qbrain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Today's smoothie was: blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, red grapes, flax seeds, chia seeds, hemp protein, probiotics, bok choy, spinach, and magnesium-arginine power. How could I ever figure out how many calories were in it?
    Good luck estimating the calories in that. Bok choy smoothies, wow!

    Over the weekend I learned that Korean food used to be pretty much gluten free because wheat was so expensive only the royal family could afford it. That changed after the Korean war, but now I have a new source for gluten free recipes.
  12. qbrain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by couldbebetterfly
    HITting the pool with Fort
    Of the suggestions that are actually appropriate, I like this the best so far. Maybe throw some periods in there. Actually, just hand the phrase over to That Guy and let him bedazzle it.
  13. That Guy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Of the suggestions that are actually appropriate, I like this the best so far. Maybe throw some periods in there. Actually, just hand the phrase over to That Guy and let him bedazzle it.
    Indeed, this is my specialty. Here you go:
    tHePhRaSe
  14. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by couldbebetterfly
    Congratulations - looking forward to reading the workouts (can't promise I'll swim any though).....

    HITting the pool with Fort
    Thx. And I like that one!
  15. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Great news on the workouts! Maybe I'll actually do one of your workouts some day...

    It can be tough finding a good massage person. I just happened onto a great woman, who happens to be both an LMT and an ultra runner.
    Thanks Tim! Well, you're all slow twitch. Though even your marathoners need to do some speed work once in awhile!
  16. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Of the suggestions that are actually appropriate, I like this the best so far. Maybe throw some periods in there. Actually, just hand the phrase over to That Guy and let him bedazzle it.
    Me too!
  17. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Good luck estimating the calories in that. Bok choy smoothies, wow!

    Over the weekend I learned that Korean food used to be pretty much gluten free because wheat was so expensive only the royal family could afford it. That changed after the Korean war, but now I have a new source for gluten free recipes.
    And I forgot coconut water. Yeah, that's why calorie counters would just frustrate me. I recall people making fun of my chia seeds, but they look pretty damn healthy: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/3061/2.

    Thai food too. And fortunately my kids love it.
  18. magick17's Avatar
    as a fan of your blog, yes I look forward to it EVERYDAY..

    "building a fortress...."
  19. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by magick17
    as a fan of your blog, yes I look forward to it EVERYDAY..

    "building a fortress...."
    Thank you so much!

    Yes, the title of Ande's tip would make a great workout forum title as well!
  20. Stevepowell's Avatar
    "Feel the Need for Speed" ?