View RSS Feed

Random Nonsense

Pre-meet workout

Rate this Entry
We did a pre-meet workout... and then the regular workout. I blame Josh.

Warm up
- 400 swim
- 300 kick w/fins
- 300 swim
Meet Swimmers set
- 6x50s off the blocks work starts and turns
-- then cool down, right? NO!
Main Set
- 3x200 smooth on 2:40 (low 2:20s)
- 6x100 on 1:20 (10s)
- 4x75 kick w/fins on 1:10
- 6x50 free on 1:00 (31-32s)
- 4x25 back on :30
Cool Down
- 200 ez

Coach Dave told us after the starts we could change as much of the workout to suit us as we wanted. Josh decides we should just continue on with the workout as normal, and I played lemming.

Josh and I agree to take the main set easy. Obviously our idea of easy is pretty skewed. We should have swam in separate lanes on different send offs at different ends of the pool.

NFG must have had a bowl of Wheaties this morning. I looked over during warm up and she is doing backstroke at the same speed I am doing free. At that point, I wisely stopped paying attention to what she was doing. Ok, not really, I was slacking on the 200s until I noticed she was going faster than I was and picked up the pace. After that I gave up on easy and just kept up with Josh like a normal practice.

I am thinking of dubbing New Fast Girl (NFG) ... Marge. I am sure she would be thrilled with this name. Since she refuses to be my facebook friend, I will protect her true identity and keep complaining about her kick.

The swim meet this weekend should be fun. Josh and I are in the same events and I gave him my entry times which he adjusted for his entries, so we should get to race. Today I think this will be fun, tomorrow afternoon will probably be a different story.

A little jocularity: I was chatting with K who was submitting entries for her husband J and K wanted to know what I wanted to race J in. Our events don't overlap at all and K was joking, but I suggested the 100IM and to make things fair, I suggested she enter him in the 200 fly, the event right before the 100IM. K, being a typical evil wife who lives to mental torture her husband like all wives, thought this was a GREAT idea. There will probably only be 1 heat of the 200 fly so J should have a good 10 minutes max before we race the 100IM.

Really, it was the only chance I had. J is a breaststroker. A good one. I think I am still screwed. Luckily, no money is on this.

Josh and I are in the same events with similar entry times. I will know if this was a good idea tomorrow afternoon.

Events: 50, 100, 200 free; 100 IM

Submit "Pre-meet workout" to Digg Submit "Pre-meet workout" to del.icio.us Submit "Pre-meet workout" to StumbleUpon Submit "Pre-meet workout" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I blame Josh
    Gotta pass the buck somewhere!

Events: 50, 100, 200 free; 100 IM
    So are you a guy who trains distance and then tries to do a 50? Good luck in the events! You'd better beat NFG in the meet (provided she's going...if not you need to at least beat her practice times)
    Eat your wheaties tomorrow and, maybe next meet, you can enter some real manly events. If it wasn't for the 200 free, we might have had to ask the forum moderators to rename you NQG = New Q Girl.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Gotta pass the buck somewhere!
    I don't see why I should be held responsible for my actions.

So are you a guy who trains distance and then tries to do a 50?
    I trained distance over the summer for a 2.4, but I wouldn't call what I am doing now distance training. My target meet is in April, so I am BUILDING BASE, or something like that.

My best event is the 50, then the 100, then the 200, then I really start to suck. I am using power points (USAS thingy) as a guide for ranking my events.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    I trained distance over the summer for a 2.4, but I wouldn't call what I am doing now distance training. My target meet is in April, so I am BUILDING BASE, or something like that.

My best event is the 50, then the 100, then the 200, then I really start to suck. I am using power points (USAS thingy) as a guide for ranking my events.
    OK, I see now. I've seen those point things on my races on the usaswimming.org site when I looked up my times. Wanna compare points? I honestly don't know what they mean though. Is 1000 the best? a WR?? I don't know.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Eat your wheaties tomorrow and, maybe next meet, you can enter some real manly events. If it wasn't for the 200 free, we might have had to ask the forum moderators to rename you NQG = New Q Girl.
    Hold on, didn't you just get chicked by a 12yo in one of those "manly" events last week? Why would I want to risk that?

The 1500 is the first event of the day, there is no way I am ruining my only scm times in events I enjoy just to get a top 10 time. Or potentially get one, since it seems more than 10 people enter that event in my age group now.
    You're racing NFG in warmup, are aiming for 30x100 on 1:10, and then enter 3 events shorter than 200y?

I'm interested to see the results- similarly to your interest when I swim a 4IM. jk of course- have fun at the meet!
    Let us not berate the man for getting in a speed workout.
    OK, I see now. I've seen those point things on my races on the usaswimming.org site when I looked up my times. Wanna compare points? I honestly don't know what they mean though. Is 1000 the best? a WR?? I don't know.
    1000 points is the best and I do think it is the world record.

Nah, I don't need to compare points with you, I have seen your times, but you should be able to compare points between your events and figure out what is your best event, when compared with the rest of the world.

For me my 50 is like 400 points, my 100 350 points and my 200 300 points, so my 50 free is my best event.
    Updated November 18th, 2011 at 11:32 AM by qbrain
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo
    You're racing NFG in warmup, are aiming for 30x100 on 1:10, and then enter 3 events shorter than 200y?
    Our event line up is similar, right? But I am focusing on the 200 and you are focusing on the 50. My next target meet is in April and yours is in Dec. Based on my previous times, my endurance is my biggest weakness in the 200. Focusing on hard endurance six months out is a pretty traditional training approach for just about everything I think.

This meet is going to be quick, so tomorrow is my Lactate Tolerance workout.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedo
    I'm interested to see the results- similarly to your interest when I swim a 4IM. jk of course- have fun at the meet!
    Thanks, but I don't want to see you swim the 4IM. The 200 is plenty painful.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Thanks for. Tomorrow will indeed be a good workout.

You will like this: "Note: For all 50 meter events, womenís top seed and menís top seed will swim in separate heats."
    Our event line up is similar, right? But I am focusing on the 200 and you are focusing on the 50. My next target meet is in April and yours is in Dec. Based on my previous times, my endurance is my biggest weakness in the 200. Focusing on hard endurance six months out is a pretty traditional training approach for just about everything I think.

This meet is going to be quick, so tomorrow is my Lactate Tolerance workout.

Thanks, but I don't want to see you swim the 4IM. The 200 is plenty painful.
    Just poking fun at you- you're on the right track.

You will like this: "Note: For all 50 meter events, womenís top seed and menís top seed will swim in separate heats."
    As it should be!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Isn't that why were all on here??
    I could probably figure this out but what meet is this and will the results be posted real time?

I like your event schedule. I also think I'm "building base" too.
    Good luck in your meet!

Any goal times for any events?
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    I could probably figure this out but what meet is this and will the results be posted real time?

I like your event schedule. I also think I'm "building base" too.
    https://www.clubassistant.com/club/m...=991&smid=3344

I seriously doubt the results will be posted real time.

They are your kind of events. The event schedule is actual 50, 200, 100 free, 100 IM separated by about 3 events each. That should be pretty good for me, but I really wanted to do the 200 first and get the painful one out of the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Good luck in your meet!

Any goal times for any events?
    I didn't blog about last years meet, and looking at my times, I think I know why. I sucked. Too bad I didn't blog why I sucked.

Anyway, I will make up some goal times.

Goal 50 free: 27 low would be good

Goal 100 free: 1:00.49 because That Guy went 1:00.50

Goal 200 free: break 2:14

Goal 100 IM: DEMOLISH MY COMPETITION... yeah, I have no idea. I should be faster than last year by just sucking less this year, but beating J and Josh is going to be difficult since they both know all 4 strokes and I only know free. My only hope is I might be in better condition then they are and at the end of the meet, I might have a tiny bit more left then they will.

I just remembered, I swam this meet in 2009 with legskins and in 2010 with a brief. Maybe I need to join the Bring Back The Speed Suits PAC (or is it PUC?).
    Goal 100 free: 1:00.49 because That Guy went 1:00.50
    Gosh I'm honored! Wait a minute...

she refuses to be my facebook friend
    ...have I acquired a stalker? Hmmm. Weeeeeellllllllllllll... ahhh it's okay Q-stalker, hop in the van and my associate Mr. Adams will give you some free candy.
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy
    ...have I acquired a stalker?
    I think stalkers keep their intentions secret, right? Hunting might be the appropriate term.
    Hold on, didn't you just get chicked by a 12yo in one of those "manly" events last week?
    Technically, she's practically 16!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast