View RSS Feed

Too Neurotic to be Suitably Aquatic

Tur-Duck-En

Rate this Entry
HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

On Monday, our last workout before the school break, I gave FISH the Turducken Workout as designed by the always clever Swimsuit Addict. It went like this:

(I missed warm-up by showing our 1st place trophy to our Coach and getting an earful about how his high school girls could swim 100 fly in the time it took me to swim 50 fly. Yup, may be so, but they don't have a trophy!)

A turducken workout is to stuff a 50 of one stroke into the middle of a 100 of another stroke, then stuff that into a 200 of yet another stroke.

4 x 350 @ :30-:40 rest interval
1st 350=100 FL/50 BK/50 BR/50 BK/100 FL
2nd 350=100 BK/50 BR/50 FR/50 BR/100 BK
3rd 350=100 BR/50 FR/50 FL/50 FR/100 BR
4th 350=100 FR/50 FL/50 BK/50 FL/100 FR

Kick set: 7 x 100 K @ 2:00
400IM/200IM/100IM turducken kick set:

100 FLY, 100 BK, 50FL/50BK, 100 IM, 50BR/50FR, 100 BR, 100 FR

It took the lanes some time and chatting and debating to figure out how the whole thing worked, and I completely understand procrastination in the face of a 100 fly. As for me, I was still recovering from the meet, so I didn't finish a true turducken. I did the vegetarian version and mostly swam freestyle. But maybe I'll have leftovers sometime next week an go for it again!

Later in the day, my buddy and I hit the gym:
Bench Press - 65 pounds, 4x10
Squats - 105 pounds, 3x10
Deadlift - 95 pounds, 3x10

Isos:
Shoulder Rolls - 5 pounds, 2x15
leg lifts - 1x50 each side
Plank - held 45 seconds, then 30 seconds
Rotator Cuff 5 pounds, 1x15 each side

To build some endurance, I'm changing the weight to more reps, fewer sets, and starting the weights out a little lighter as I make that change. Today, I mostly felt that lifting in my back, I think I got the most out of holding that plank many seconds beyond my comfort zone.

Tomorrow, I'm going to see if I can get to the pool and figure out what all this 30x100 nonsense is all about!

Submit "Tur-Duck-En" to Digg Submit "Tur-Duck-En" to del.icio.us Submit "Tur-Duck-En" to StumbleUpon Submit "Tur-Duck-En" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I did the vegetarian version and mostly swam freestyle. But maybe I'll have leftovers sometime next week an go for it again!
    That's funny - I've put a challenge to my group to try this at practice on Saturday (I'm dreading the breastroke myself). Good job.
    I did the vegetarian version and mostly swam freestyle.
    WHY didn't I think of that. Genius!

Squats
    Are you doing back squats?

Tomorrow, I'm going to see if I can get to the pool and figure out what all this 30x100 nonsense is all about!
    I thought you were smarter than that.
    If you want another go at the turduckens instead and can sneak down to Riverbank early Thanksgiving morning, come join us for round 2!
    Quote Originally Posted by rxleakem
    That's funny - I've put a challenge to my group to try this at practice on Saturday (I'm dreading the breastroke myself). Good job.
    Yay! I hope you all enjoy it! Breaststroke isn't that bad, just keep your head looking down and love that glide!
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    WHY didn't I think of that. Genius!

Are you doing back squats?

I thought you were smarter than that.
    All those years of not eating meat made me smart. But not smart enough to not do the 30x100 in an 80+ degree pool this morning (more on that later.)

I'm doing the squats on a smith machine - I'm not certain what the difference is between regular ones and back ones? Care to enlighten me?
    Quote Originally Posted by swimsuit addict
    If you want another go at the turduckens instead and can sneak down to Riverbank early Thanksgiving morning, come join us for round 2!
    I would totally think about that since I'm on my way to Long Island tomorrow morning, but I volunteered to make the bread, so I'll be spending my morning kneading and rising. I think I'm uninvited if I don't bring my famous bread. (I'm going to be back at the Nassau County pool on Friday, though!)
    Quote Originally Posted by swimmerb212
    I'm doing the squats on a smith machine - I'm not certain what the difference is between regular ones and back ones? Care to enlighten me?
    Back squats/regular squats is a squat when the bar is carried across your back. I asked because your squat was more than your deadlift.

Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Back squats/regular squats is a squat when the bar is carried across your back. I asked because your squat was more than your deadlift.
    Ah yes, that is the kind that I do. I'm trying to be super careful with my free weights because I go to Planet Fitness and I'm pretty sure no one on staff knows how to correct form. But they do give out free pizza.