View RSS Feed

Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine

Turducken - I'm stuffed

Rate this Entry
With Master's group at the Rec (scy)

Today was Turducken Day, courtesy of swimsuit addict for the group, and we had a total four folks (of eight) give it a shot ...

Turducken set: A turducken is a turkey that is stuffed with a duck, which in turn has been stuffed with a chicken. Iíve never tasted one, but I feel like Iíve been reading about them as a novelty food item for at least a decade. The latest article I saw about turducken was not about food at all, but about privacy law, and ever since I read it, the word has been rolling around in my head. So I decided I would assemble stroke turduckens by stuffing a 50 of one stroke into the middle of a 100 of another stroke, then sticking the whole thing into a 200 of yet another stroke. I did four rounds of these; on the first, turkey=fly, duck=back, and chicken=breast; the strokes rotate through the IM thereafter. The set looked like this:
4 x 350 @ :30-:40 rest interval
1st 350=100 FL/50 BK/50 BR/50 BK/100 FL
2nd 350=100 BK/50 BR/50 FR/50 BR/100 BK
3rd 350=100 BR/50 FR/50 FL/50 FR/100 BR
4th 350=100 FR/50 FL/50 BK/50 FL/100 FR
On each round I aimed to do the middle 50 at 200 IM pace; the 50 before it as build and the 50 after it as recovery, and the turkey 100s at the front and back at basic aerobic pace.
After we readjusted our suits, we went on to:
7 x 100 on 2:00
-----

I am thankful that this 2100 main set was done - I am used to my shoulders aching after a workout, but not this badly during it! haha The most continuous Fly I have done since HS has been 75 in a set, so this was a test. I thought that the 100's would be the worst, but the 50's on the last (two) did me in. But .... I made them all doing full stroke, so I am very happy with that. Also, my abs were sore!

I added a 600 w/u before the fun, and since I was one up at the end of the Turduken I went back for seconds, swimming just the last rep for a total of 5 completed. I took some great advice from from SB212 on the breastroke legs:
Quote Originally Posted by swimmerb212
Yay! I hope you all enjoy it! Breaststroke isn't that bad, just keep your head looking down and love that glide!
I kicked the 100's (FR, BK, DK, full breast stroke, FR, BK, DK), and came in around 1:40 each time. I can really notice a difference in my kicking stamina and speed since really incorporating it into my workouts over the last few months.

Close that with a 250 easy warmdown and I hit 3300 yards in just over 1 hour. Not bad! Off to put up the Christmas tree and get the lights set up outside. All the while enjoying the beautiful day we are having here - over 50 degrees and sun shining! Have a great day everyone.

Submit "Turducken - I'm stuffed" to Digg Submit "Turducken - I'm stuffed" to del.icio.us Submit "Turducken - I'm stuffed" to StumbleUpon Submit "Turducken - I'm stuffed" to Google

Tags: turducken
Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments