View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Monday, Nov. 28

Rate this Entry
by , November 28th, 2011 at 04:41 PM (1748 Views)
Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

800 various

Aerobic Sets:

4 x (4 x 50) @ 1:00
4 single arm fly
4 single arm back
4 breast w/dolphin kick @ 1:15*
4 free

* Whenever I do whip kick, the inside of my left knee hurts slightly. So I don't see the point of doing it other than very infrequently.

50 EZ

4 x (100 broken shooters w/fins on belly + 50 EZ)
-- :10 second break at each 25
50 EZ

Speed Sets:

4 x 50 burst 15 m + cruise
50 EZ

3 x (25 AFAP free w/fins + 75 EZ)
-- 10s
50 EZ

1 x 50 AFAP fly w/fins
-- low to mid 23

100 EZ

Total: 3050

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Feel slightly boggy in the water. I suspect this is due partly to the lingering effects of Friday's deep tissue massage. Takes me forever to recover from those things. I will likely to another recovery workout tomorrow.

I can tell I need to stretch, but not sure if I'll get a chance tonight with my hectic schedule. December is a crazy month. Luckily, I do have an ART appt tomorrow.

More on masters doping:
http://www.goldmedalmel.typepad.com/...ye-on-you.html

Yoga for Q:
http://www.facebook.com/video/video....50254852607283

Submit "Monday, Nov. 28" to Digg Submit "Monday, Nov. 28" to del.icio.us Submit "Monday, Nov. 28" to StumbleUpon Submit "Monday, Nov. 28" to Google

Updated November 28th, 2011 at 05:24 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

  1. jaadams1's Avatar
    Whenever I do whip kick, the inside of my left knee hurts slightly. So I don't see the point of doing it other than very infrequently
    Same thing for me, except with the other side (right knee). I use breaststroke for IM purposes only, and even then I'm more upperbody driven anyway. That's another reason why SCY/SCM is so much better than LCM...less kicking and more underwater pullouts!
  2. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    That's another reason why SCY/SCM is so much better than LCM...less kicking and more underwater pullouts!
    Most decidedly!

    I went 18 meters on one breast start with the tech suits. How I miss them.
  3. qbrain's Avatar
    Yoga for Q:
    Proper hydration is important to all forms of exercise.
  4. rxleakem's Avatar
    My local paper ran that doping piece. Interesting that some of the agencies are looking into it more. Is there random testing happening in USMS that anyone knows about?
  5. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Proper hydration is important to all forms of exercise.
    How true. I'm just hydrating now.
  6. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rxleakem
    My local paper ran that doping piece. Interesting that some of the agencies are looking into it more. Is there random testing happening in USMS that anyone knows about?
    USMS doesn't test b/c the cost would be prohibitive. There are many more cyclists and track & field athletes than masters swimmers.
  7. chowmi's Avatar
    I notice you do much swim sprinting with fins. Do you have a theory on how much swim sprinting should be done with/without fins? Does fin sprinting help more than just plain 'ol sprinting for actual races? What does it emphasize for you? I think for me it would be to slightly slow down turnover to get better holding (rather than slipping) and to get "better traction" with the legs.
  8. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chowmi
    I notice you do much swim sprinting with fins. Do you have a theory on how much swim sprinting should be done with/without fins? Does fin sprinting help more than just plain 'ol sprinting for actual races? What does it emphasize for you? I think for me it would be to slightly slow down turnover to get better holding (rather than slipping) and to get "better traction" with the legs.
    A few years ago, I seemed to have some big time drops when I began using fins more often and especially for speed work. And after using them even more for speed work, it seems like my times have survived the tech suit ban in a somewhat seemly fashion. (So hard to determine causation of course.) I have a fast turnover with fins, just as without. I definitely get better traction with the legs. I think the key benefit, though, is getting your body used to above race pace sprinting with a better body position.

    I suppose I could do more speed work without fins. I would definitely do so if I had access to blocks and could work on breakouts. Working on breakouts from a push or from the side just doesn't seem the same.

    BTW, I hate those blue and orange Speedo floating fins. I use a much stiffer fin, which is much better for dolphin kicking.
  9. qbrain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I suppose I could do more speed work without fins. I would definitely do so if I had access to blocks and could work on breakouts. Working on breakouts from a push or from the side just doesn't seem the same.
    I wonder if there is a benefit to your breakouts because of the increased speed to the surface from the fins?

    * Random thoughts by qbrain
  10. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    I wonder if there is a benefit to your breakouts because of the increased speed to the surface from the fins?

    * Random thoughts by qbrain
    Perhaps. And perhaps why USAS coaches have kids going off the blocks with fins. Many problems in life would be solved by access to blocks.
  11. knelson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Many problems in life would be solved by access to blocks.
    If I were a USAS coach I'd have my swimmers going off the blocks for the sole purpose of working on their starts at least once a week.
  12. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    If I were a USAS coach I'd have my swimmers going off the blocks for the sole purpose of working on their starts at least once a week.
    At least! If I had access, I'd probably go off the blocks 3x week.
  13. Ahelee Sue Osborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    I wonder if there is a benefit to your breakouts because of the increased speed to the surface from the fins?
    I'm so surprised when I come across programs, swimmers, and coaches who view all fin usage in workouts as cheating.

    And coaches who do not utilize FINz as a tool for building better breakouts.
    Really still???
    Combined with no consistent dryland...

    Comparing results and technique of the swimmers SDK & breakouts, it is obvious that training with FINz works.
    Especially so with masters swimmers who do little or no dryland strength training.
  14. Ahelee Sue Osborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    At least! If I had access, I'd probably go off the blocks 3x week.
    When I was coaching at Mission Viejo I used to watch Coach Bill Rose's group actually begin every single workout (warm-up) off the blocks with a great racing start. It was done 5 seconds apart on his "go".
    Apparently he has done this for years.

    A 20 something masters swimmer who grew up in the program told me the years of these starts were credited for his near perfect racing start.

    Masters swimmers rarely practice starts even when they have access to blocks.

    So crazy...
    Poll meet swimmers the days after a competition and they are nearly always sore in the lower back from lack of pre-meet practice. Sheez.
  15. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahelee Sue Osborn

    Comparing results and technique of the swimmers SDK & breakouts, it is obvious that training with FINz works.
    I have actually had people ask me how I can even swim without fins.

    I suspect there are still many USAS coaches not using them properly.
  16. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahelee Sue Osborn
    Masters swimmers rarely practice starts even when they have access to blocks.

    So crazy...
    Poll meet swimmers the days after a competition and they are nearly always sore in the lower back from lack of pre-meet practice. Sheez.
    It's hard to practice if the pool you're training at prohibits use of the blocks though! Grr ...

    Yes, people go from doing no starts to a whole bunch the week before a meet or during warm up. Not the smartest thing. A good dryland program should prevent lower back soreness though. At least I never have that problem at meets despite a lack of starts.
  17. Karl_S's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    It's hard to practice if the pool you're training at prohibits use of the blocks though! Grr ...
    I really wish USMS would take on this problem. I'm not sure what they could do, but maybe some smart folks could come up with something. It is certainly reasonable for competitive swimmers to practice starts off regulation blocks. There is one pool where I can do starts off the deck, but everywhere else it is feet in first.
  18. poolraat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    It's hard to practice if the pool you're training at prohibits use of the blocks though! Grr ...
    I'm really fortunate that I can use the blocks whenever I want to. I just let the lifeguards know, more as a courtesy than anything else, and get up and go.