View RSS Feed

Year Three: The Road Back

Ouch...

Rate this Entry
by , November 29th, 2011 at 09:51 AM (824 Views)
Today's distance day proved to be much more painful than I wanted. My shoulder was smarting a bit from yesterday still, but I went to the pool anyway figuring that I'd just cut distance and go at an easier pace - not pushing too hard. That was the plan anyway.... and it worked well throughout the warm-up and most of the first set. Then, my left shoulder basically went on strike. It hurt, it ached, it basically said STOP!

Here's what I actually managed to do in the pool today:

400 Warm-Up
3 x 200 Free on 3:00
4 x 50 Free on 1:00
1 x 550 Free on 9:00 (supposed to be a 600)

4 x 75 Free on 1:30 (supposed to be 100s)

3 x 200 Kick on 3:00
4 x 50 Kick on 1:00
1 x 600 Kick on 9:00
1 x 50 Supposedly Free - ended up being mainly kick

Total Yards - 3500

On the 4 x 100s that were supposed to be on 1:30, I did 75s. That was okay. I decided to do the next set of 200s as a kick set to give my shoulder a break. Then, I was planning to do the 4 x 50s on a 1:00 as backstroke (with my fins on). MISTAKE!!!!! After the second pull, my shoulder simply SCREAMED! Don't know if I pulled or tore something or what. It basically hurt to move my arm over my head - and then hurt to move it back to my arm back to my side, so I gave up and just kicked the remainder of the set (3 50s and 1 600). I wanted to swim the last 4 x 75s, but even easy freestyle hurt, so I gave up the ghost, went home and took a bunch of aspirin. Hopefully, a little rest will help.

Now... if the snow just stays away, so I don't have to shovel tonight....

Enjoy your swims for me today!

Submit "Ouch..." to Digg Submit "Ouch..." to del.icio.us Submit "Ouch..." to StumbleUpon Submit "Ouch..." to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Definitely don't push it. It sucks to be out of the pool, but you don't want to injure your shoulder more. Take it easy until it feels better.
    If nothing else, this is probably a good time to work on my kicking.