View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

NS, Sat., Dec. 3

Rate this Entry
Spent another long day at a USAS meet. But I did come home and do a stretch/yoga for 40 minutes.

The bad news is that my elbows are really bothering me. They almost feel worse now after a week+ off weights. Enough to keep me awake part of last night. I was timing with a tennis pro at the meet, and quizzed him (and others too) about treatments for tennis elbow. I've also heard this problem can last some months. This is somewhat depressing. I haven't had anything but a very minor tweak in a few years. And it's purely the result of being stupid in the gym ... The elbows probably just need a lot of ice and rest, and I need to hunt down my old stim device.

In light of this, I'm going to be a NS at the Last Chance meet tomorrow. This is not a big deal. I was aiming for NE Champs anyway and can swim the 50 free there. So I'll just miss the 100 breast. It seems unwise to risk further inflaming things by doing the evil stroke right at this moment. The older you get, the smarter you get. After NE Champs, I will shift to 90% kick workouts for awhile. No problem there either!

Now I need to go do some of that stalking that pwb loves!

Submit "NS, Sat., Dec. 3" to Digg Submit "NS, Sat., Dec. 3" to del.icio.us Submit "NS, Sat., Dec. 3" to StumbleUpon Submit "NS, Sat., Dec. 3" to Google

Updated December 4th, 2011 at 09:45 AM by The Fortress

Categories
Yoga

Comments

That's too bad, Leslie. Hopefully you heal up soon. I've had a slight twinge in my left elbow for the last couple weeks. It only bothers me when I swim breaststroke and it's just sort of annoying. I think mine may have been caused by pushups. Do you do skull crushers? Those always seemed to me to be an elbow injury waiting to happen.
    That sucks about elbows. Is it the kind of thing that, at least for NE Champs, you can vitamin A your way through the meet? It sounds painful.
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    That's too bad, Leslie. Hopefully you heal up soon. I've had a slight twinge in my left elbow for the last couple weeks. It only bothers me when I swim breaststroke and it's just sort of annoying. I think mine may have been caused by pushups. Do you do skull crushers? Those always seemed to me to be an elbow injury waiting to happen.
    I did it ramping up the weight on the push press and deadlift too fast. Didn't give my joints time to catch up with the muscles. Skull crushers have never bothered me before.

Yeah, it doesn't seem to hurt in the water except for breaststroke. But I suppose using them at all puts some strain on them.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    That sucks about elbows. Is it the kind of thing that, at least for NE Champs, you can vitamin A your way through the meet? It sounds painful.
    Yes, I'm definitely going to swim in NE Champs. That may re-inflame things too, but that's OK. I can heal afterward.

It is painful. Little things like unscrewing a jar or wringing out a swimsuit or lifting a coffee mug hurt. I guess I'm fortunately that I'm supposed to be resting now anyway. But I think I'll be trading weights for yoga after the meet for a bit.
    Fort, so sorry to hear of the painful elbows, especially when doing routine tasks! Rest up and make sure you are healed!!! It is always a good time to work on kicking, no matter how good your kick!
    Quote Originally Posted by chowmi
    Fort, so sorry to hear of the painful elbows, especially when doing routine tasks! Rest up and make sure you are healed!!! It is always a good time to work on kicking, no matter how good your kick!
    Exactly! I'm hoping to heal quickly with some real babying.
    They have some nice PT you can find on the internet (you tube) - best wishes!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Skull crushers have never bothered me before.
    Now that I think about it I think they put more pressure on the inside of your elbows and I believe tennis elbow affects the outside of the elbow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial
    They have some nice PT you can find on the internet (you tube) - best wishes!
    I figured. I'm not going to bother with doc/PT unless it persists for much longer.
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    Now that I think about it I think they put more pressure on the inside of your elbows and I believe tennis elbow affects the outside of the elbow.
    Yeah, tennis elbow is the outside, the area where the muscles and tendons attach to the bony area.
    You probably have golfer's elbow (medial epicondylitis), not tennis (lateral). I find that rest makes mine worse, not better. It killed me the whole two weeks I was on vacation lifting only binoculars. Ice helps a lot, as does the exercise you can see on YouTube with the rubber Theraband stick. PM me for more elbow info.
    I think it's tennis elbow based on pics and info on the Internet, as well as showing the tennis pro where it hurt. Interesting about the rest. I feel worse this week as well. I will definitely check out the theraband exercises and have been ramping up the icing. Do you ever tape your elbows?

Good job at Long Beach so far!
    Updated December 4th, 2011 at 07:13 PM by The Fortress