View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Swim + Lift, Friday, Mar. 6

Rate this Entry
Felt pretty good today. Don't know if I'm getting used to the weights, or it's the effect of post-workout gatorade imbibement, or the fact that it's sunny and amazing outside. Swam first today, not too arduous a workout. Like Patrick, I decided to steal/modify one of Tall Paul's sets today.

Swim, SCY, solo:

Warm up:

750 variety warm up

12 x 25 UW shooters w/MF
4 belly, 4 left, 4 right

Main Sets:

Backstroke Anti-Bleeding Set:

10 x 50 backstroke @ 1:00

Brought my nose clip today. It's the TYR one. It didn't fall off! The difference was pretty significant. I can go much further with less distress with the nose clip. I could also SDK on my back instead of staying on my side for awhile to attempt to avert bleeding. I was doing these easy speed backstroke, but judging from my times, I'm fastest with nose clip + back SDK. I could also go deeper on the SDKs because I wasn't terrified of running out of air halfway to the surface. So this may be the way to revive my backstroke SDKs that have been pathetic lately. However, I do think it will take some time to accustom myself to the nose clip ... and I'm having trouble envisioning how it stays on at the start. But this can all be worked on, I guess.

Modified Tall Paul Set:

4 x 200 kick w/MF, descend @ 3:00
started at 2:19, descended to 2:11

50 EZ

4 x 100 free @ 2:00, done as:

75 cruise/25 power kick
25 cruise/50 power kick/25 cruise
25 power kick/75 cruise
50 cruise/50 power kick

50 EZ

4 x 50 @ 1:00
all 4 strokes, 25 build swim/25 SDK
(really hard to build into the power SDK ...)
(forgot to put my nose clip on for backstroke, and got nowhere, comparatively, off the turn)

50 EZ

4 x (25 AFAP free + 25 EZ)
(free felt very strong )

Random question/thought:

How many strokes does it take to get up to full speed on sprint free? I think it takes me 4-5. Seems like it should be less?

100 EZ

Total: 3150

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quickie Weights:

standing lat pulldown, 130 x 2 x 10 (up 10 lb)
alternating hammer curls w/DBs, 20 x 2 x 10, each arm
calf raise/press, 150 x 3 x 15
total ab machine, 120 x 1 x 10, 130 x 1 x 10, 140 x 1 x 10 (must've been underperforming on these previously)
incline crunches, 2 x 25
russian twist w/med ball, 2 x 50
external rotators for RC, 10 x 2 x 15, each arm
med ball crunch, 2 x 25
back extensions w/25 lb weight, 25 x 2 x 15
goblet squats, 30 x 2 x 15
front lunges, 12.5 x 1 x 15, each leg
(These really bothered my hamstring/groin area, so I stopped. I think from shirking leg curls and adductors and such, this area of the bod is relatively weak.)
cavic fly exercises, 3 x 2 x 25

Question:

Is there any protocol about rest between sets?

Is it really necessary to do abbductors/adductors and curls/leg extensions? If you're squatting, leg pressing, deadlifting, etc.?

Submit "Swim + Lift, Friday, Mar. 6" to Digg Submit "Swim + Lift, Friday, Mar. 6" to del.icio.us Submit "Swim + Lift, Friday, Mar. 6" to StumbleUpon Submit "Swim + Lift, Friday, Mar. 6" to Google

Updated March 7th, 2009 at 01:36 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts

Comments

Wow, you are strong! On weights, I've always heard if you are working for power(high weight/low reps), 2 minute rest between each set. In building endurance (low weights/high reps), I've heard 15 to 30 seconds rest between each set.
    Updated March 6th, 2009 at 09:06 PM by elise526
    Quote Originally Posted by elise526
    Wow, you are strong! On weights, I've always heard if you are working for power(high weight/low reps), 2 minute rest between each set. In building endurance (low weights/high reps), I've heard 15 to 30 seconds rest between each set.
    HI Elsie,
    She sure is strong. I am just starting to do weight work and I appreciate that info.
    Flippergirl
    Hey Fort, with respect to the up-to-speed question, if I were asked I would say the same- 4-5 strokes. The Auburn sprint coaches (forget exactly who said this) preach that you shouldn't bang out your first stroke after breakout, but wait until #2 to really start pumping. I would guess because you can't possibly get up to speed in one stroke and there would be some energy waste. 2c.
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo
    Hey Fort, with respect to the up-to-speed question, if I were asked I would say the same- 4-5 strokes. The Auburn sprint coaches (forget exactly who said this) preach that you shouldn't bang out your first stroke after breakout, but wait until #2 to really start pumping. I would guess because you can't possibly get up to speed in one stroke and there would be some energy waste. 2c.
    Thanks Pete! Glad to know I'm doing that right. Good info!
    Quote Originally Posted by elise526
    If you had read yesterday's offerings, you would see that I'm just "not weak." lol

I'm pretty good at the standing lat pull down or press or whatever it's called. But I'm not as strong as you on the seated lat pulldown! And I did mostly core work today ... Happily, that stuff doesn't make me sore. Although I guess the incline bench did when I first started doing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by flippergirl
    HI Elsie,
    She sure is strong. I am just starting to do weight work and I appreciate that info.
    Flippergirl
    I feel like there is a total absence of info on what masters women are doing. That's one reason I've started posting my weight sessions. Well, that and to keep track. No bench pressing for you, Paige!
    Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver
    Fortress, I think it's time for an intervention. Your blog shows every indication that you're starting to head down a road in which there's just no turning back. Please. Stop the madness. Before it's too late.

YouTube - Brick House Women
    Ew, disgusting! Where's the puking emoticon?
    Fort, but I am curious. Not today, not tomorow, and maybe never. Still I am curious why I shouldn't ever bench press? I think the machines are helping my strength...but I know in my heart I am a swimmer and not a weightlifter unless it were good form my swimming. Is it good for swimming?
    Quote Originally Posted by flippergirl
    Fort, but I am curious. Not today, not tomorow, and maybe never. Still I am curious why I shouldn't ever bench press? I think the machines are helping my strength...but I know in my heart I am a swimmer and not a weightlifter unless it were good form my swimming. Is it good for swimming?
    Not saying no weights! Bench pressing can be hazardous for healthy shoulders. But when you're having shoulder problems like you are, you should definitely avoid this exercise. Lat pulldowns can be dicey too. Go very slow. I built my shoulders back up very gradually with light weights and significant use of the double cable free motion machine. Overhead weights or weight that rest entirely on the shoulders aren't good for people with current shoulder issues.

I ain't a weight lifter either, sistah! I only do it because it makes me speedy in the pool and because I know you should do some of it to avoid rapid loss of muscle mass as you age. If I wasn't swimming competitively, I'd go back to half ass weights for sure or do something more strength/endurance based. I may switch to something like that for awhile after Indy just to have a mental/physical break from more "serious" lifting.
    Updated March 7th, 2009 at 11:53 AM by The Fortress
    There is lots of protocol about rest and I think most people have a rest interval that they kinda follow. My opinion is, I am strength training, so what do I care about rest? Of course, I lift at home and don't have to worry about tying up equipment. If I lifted at the gym, I would recruit a lifting partner and my rest would be the time it took for his lift.

I vote you can get away with just squatting. I don't see much point in doubling up exercises like squats and lunges in the same workout, but if you have a reason carry on.

"Shawn Jordan says you should build a 50 and Eddie agreed." If our search was better I would find the post, but I think that came from the old Ande blog thread.
    Gotcha gal, I am taking care of my shoulder. No brench pressing for me now, I promise. I had a surgery in Sept in my abdominal region and lost15 LBS... I think alot of it was muscle and I have gained it all back. It is amazing to me from that experience how quickly I got back to where I was by working at it. It gave me the believe I can get even more out of my body.
    Nothing says "swimming geek" quite like a nose clip! I'm looking forward to snapping THAT pic.

More seriously, glad it seems to work. When long course season comes around I may have to give it a try as well, so that I can stay under longer when doing fin work. Maybe 50m shooters???
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    There is lots of protocol about rest and I think most people have a rest interval that they kinda follow. My opinion is, I am strength training, so what do I care about rest? Of course, I lift at home and don't have to worry about tying up equipment. If I lifted at the gym, I would recruit a lifting partner and my rest would be the time it took for his lift.

I vote you can get away with just squatting. I don't see much point in doubling up exercises like squats and lunges in the same workout, but if you have a reason carry on.

"Shawn Jordan says you should build a 50 and Eddie agreed." If our search was better I would find the post, but I think that came from the old Ande blog thread.
    I have no rest interval either. And I definitely lolly gag between sets. Guess I won't worry about it.

Yeah, I don't think I need to double up. Is it really important though to do leg extensions and leg curls? I see they're on the Lezak plan, but I'd like to ditch something so my workouts are somewhat shorter.

Oh, and I lift "longer" than you because I am doing that controversial overrated core work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stevenson
    Nothing says "swimming geek" quite like a nose clip! I'm looking forward to snapping THAT pic.

More seriously, glad it seems to work. When long course season comes around I may have to give it a try as well, so that I can stay under longer when doing fin work. Maybe 50m shooters???
    Don't I recall that you did a 50 meter shooter last summer with the zura fins?

What do you do to prevent air bleeding?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Is it really important though to do leg extensions and leg curls?
    No, they are not important. If you just wanted to do one of squats, deadlifts or lunges per workout, you would be great.

I am all for you doing 3 "lifts" and then spending the rest of your workout doing things you enjoy. Legs, chest, back and move on to the fun stuff.

There is probably more core work in my future.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    There is probably more core work in my future.
    My extremely speedy teammate added core work to his Lezak routine. He's noticed a difference and thinks it helps rotation in free.
    Updated March 7th, 2009 at 01:18 PM by The Fortress
    If you are lifting for strength endurance i.e. reps not to failure with less weight and rest in between sets, you can do this every day. However, if you lift heavy and go to failure, it taxes the central nervous system much the same way as a sprint workout. The CNS needs time to recover. More than 24 hrs.
    I seem to need more than 48 hours ... Lifting heavier and doing core work is freaking exhausting! I've been pretty tired the last two weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Don't I recall that you did a 50 meter shooter last summer with the zura fins?
    I can make it no-breather or 1-breather on my stomach, but can only get to about 30-35m on my back b/c of the air bleeding.