View RSS Feed

aztimm's training blog

Saturday 12102011, NE Masters SCM meet

Rate this Entry
by , December 10th, 2011 at 08:08 PM (81 Views)
I had a pretty good flight PHX-BOS last night, got into BOS nearly on-time. Took the T out to my hotel, and got to bed somewhere around 12:30.
woke up around 7 this morning, showered, had breakfast (I was craving eggs and there were some in the free breakfast). then made my way over to Boston University for the NE Masters SCM meet, via the T.
on the way over, I got a text from fellow forumite rxleakem, wanting to take me up on the offer to sign him in for the 400 free.

I don't remember when I last swam a SCM meet, around 2001 or 2002. I have some results in a spreadsheet at home, but the times are mostly meaningless now.

all official results are located here:
http://www.swimphone.com/mobile/meet....cfm?smid=3514

my results:
http://www.swimphone.com/mobile/meet...othy&ln=Murphy

anyway, I arrived at the BU Rec Center, which is simply quite amazing. I signed in for all of my events that I planned to do (the 400m free, 100m IM, and 200m breast). I had signed up for the 50 free/50 breast, but due to timing I wouldn't be able to do them. was early and just kind of milled around with the rest of the group waiting for the BU swim team to finish. then I thought I should take a picture of the pool... (having trouble getting it to work now).

anyway, I changed and went in the main competition pool for warmup. it was supposed to be fast on one side to slow on the other, but as any big meet, it seemed a big CF, at least where I was at. I tried 3 different lanes, and I was stuck behind slower swimmers while someone was behind me tapping my foot. oh well...
got in around 1500m w/u various, including 1 block start

then I did my first event...400m Free
time: 5:16.45
http://www.swimphone.com/mobile/meet...urphy&s=finals
before the race I chatted with the guy in the next lane. he said he was seeded around 5:25, but then gave all kinds of excuses as to why he'd be slow. I figured I'd try to keep up and see what happened.
had a really good dive (in my Yingfa suit), and mostly just paced off of lane 2. evidently he, lane 3, and I (in lane 1) were together most of the race.
I really don't remember much...but my splits show a nice bell curve with a neg split, so I guess I swam it ok. maybe go out more up front, but I had no idea if/how I'd hang on.

did ~300 yards in the diving well (a total mosh pit)

after that, at long last, I finally ran into Leslie and Rich. I took a picture of the 3 of us with Leslie's phone (which she hadn't yet lost or had stolen)...
http://twitter.com/#!/FortLivingston...807427/photo/1

I debated doing the 100IM, but figured since I've never ever done fly ever at a meet (can I stress that enough?), and rarely even do it in workout, what the heck?
time: 1:21.48
based on that split, again I guess I did it ok?
I had one of my best dives ever, did a solid 7-8 dolphin kicks, surfaced, and managed about 7 strokes of fly...and actually felt great for that whole 25.
I guess my back pushoff was ok, I'm far from an expert at that. somewhere around 1/2 way down I was realizing that I didn't do any back during w/u and had no idea how many strokes I'd need to do after the flags. I saw the flags, did about 2-3, then flipped over...and coasted for a while to the wall.
next to free, breast is my best stroke, and I felt comfortable with this.
by the time I got to free, I pushed whatever I had left.
so the 100 IM really isn't so bad. just a little of each stroke, not enough to even be painful, yet now I can say I swam some fly in a meet
I actually felt more spent after the IM than the 400 though.

I did another ~300 yards in the diving well after that.

since it was a while before my next event, I did a ~300 w/u before it. Leslie said to do some fast hands breast, so I did, and I managed to do a fast turn too.

finally my last event...200 breast.
time: 3:05.61
I did a 200 LCM breast at the Mesa-Skyline meet in July and finished around 3:17 I think. but that was after a 1500, 100 free, 50 free, 50 breast.
my goal for this was 3:10, and I was shocked I was so much faster.
evidently I took that first 50 way too fast. by the 150m mark I so wanted this to be done. I'm kind of surprised my last 50 was as fast as it was.
Rich (aka SwimStud) was in the same heat, but I was in lane 10 (wall) and he was in lane 3. we did the reverse gridge leading up to it...each of us giving all the reasons why we wouldn't swim fast. but in the end I beat him--by ~3 sec

then I got in another ~300 w/d in the diving well before heading out.

overall, this was a great meet, extremely well-run (they made event check-in announcements, event announcements, etc very clearly). there was a swag shop (was tempted to get a suit, $18 but they had a whopping 5 suits in my size). there were also snacks. plus the location is great, there's a T stop right across the street.

It would be nice to do more of this meet, maybe stay over.

along with Leslie and Rich, I met Mike (who I checked into the 400 free) and Sue, other local swimmers who are on the USMS forums

and now I can also say I tripled the number of meets that I did this year -v- last year

Submit "Saturday 12102011, NE Masters SCM meet" to Digg Submit "Saturday 12102011, NE Masters SCM meet" to del.icio.us Submit "Saturday 12102011, NE Masters SCM meet" to StumbleUpon Submit "Saturday 12102011, NE Masters SCM meet" to Google

Comments

good job today! That is good to know about the T situation if I ever do this meet.
    had a really good dive (in my Yingfa suit),
    That's the ticket!! I had on a brand new $25 Yingfa today as well...that is my credit for why I swam so fast, not the training of course.

Nice swims too. You beat your entry times I see. How do the swim compare to your recent best times? And how does the foot feel?
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    good job today! That is good to know about the T situation if I ever do this meet.
    Thanks! You should definitely check out this meet. Except it is a little long, a little time in between events.

Maybe next year we could plan a forum gathering for this meet.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    That's the ticket!! I had on a brand new $25 Yingfa today as well...that is my credit for why I swam so fast, not the training of course.

Nice swims too. You beat your entry times I see. How do the swim compare to your recent best times? And how does the foot feel?
    The Yingfa suit is really great, and like you said, for $25 you can't beat it.
    The only thing I'd caution, and I mentioned this to Leslie... is since I'm not used to swimming in a jammer that things move around a little bit -v- a brief. I should probably get a jammer to wear at workout once in a while.

I think my last 400 SCM free was something like 5:45 way back when. So I definitely dropped time, but I have for all freestyle.
    I'll have to find my last 200 SCM breast and see...my breast hasn't really changed that much (I used to do much more breast in workout, but now mostly just enough to survive). I think my best was about 3:02.
    I found a 200 LCM in the USMS database...
    http://www.usms.org/comp/meets/swim.php?s=123615

My foot...oh I'm trying to ignore it. I left my boot at home, just wearing trail shoes for the trip. My 2 little toes go numb here/there. I probably shouldn't have done block starts (well perhaps not even the meet), but none of the starts felt bad. I probably favored my right foot (the better one) a little more on turns, but I really didn't think about it much.

Now back to the boot when I get home.
    Great job today, Tim! So glad to finally meet you. No leaving early next time!
    Thanks again for checking me into the 400 free today - I would have regretted swimming it. You did a great job today, especially that 200 breast. Super swims. Great to meet you - someday I will have to get out west for a meet in your neck of the woods.
    Good swims!

Tip: if I'm going to race an IM at a meet, I try to get in some back-to-breast turns at the start end during warmup. (and hopefully the touchpads are in when I do this...)
    Congrats your swims! Your 400 time beats my last 400 time
    I'm so glad the meet was fun. And those are some really nice times you turned in! Great job!!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Great job today, Tim! So glad to finally meet you. No leaving early next time!
    Thanks again Leslie! And I agree, I should have stayed another night. It was a really long day yesterday, by the time I got home last night.
    Quote Originally Posted by rxleakem
    Thanks again for checking me into the 400 free today - I would have regretted swimming it. You did a great job today, especially that 200 breast. Super swims. Great to meet you - someday I will have to get out west for a meet in your neck of the woods.
    As much as it may be a PITA having check-ins for each event, I think it helped move the meet along faster. And it wasn't a problem at all to do one of yours either.

We have a good mix of meets here...from smaller ones mostly for our team (but anyone is welcome) to larger that attract swimmers from around AZ and even the region.

As much as it is probably easier swimming inside (no weather, can follow ceiling for backstroke, etc)...I think I prefer swimming outside
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy
    Good swims!

Tip: if I'm going to race an IM at a meet, I try to get in some back-to-breast turns at the start end during warmup. (and hopefully the touchpads are in when I do this...)
    Thanks! And I hopefully learned my lesson. I've only done backstroke at a meet once before, and it was so long ago I don't remember.
    Funny thing was I was complaining to myself during warm-up about those people randomly doing backstroke and holding up the lane...guess I should have been one of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Congrats your swims! Your 400 time beats my last 400 time
    When was your last 400 SCM free? I'd bet that you're faster than I am today, with the intervals I see you doing in workouts.
    Quote Originally Posted by swimsuit addict
    I'm so glad the meet was fun. And those are some really nice times you turned in! Great job!!
    Thanks, it was fun. One thing I noticed about this meet was that it was big and there were quite a few people about my speed in my age group there.
    Too bad you couldn't make it. Maybe next year we can get a large group from the forum to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    When was your last 400 SCM free? I'd bet that you're faster than I am today, with the intervals I see you doing in workouts.
    Three years ago. You are definitely closing the gap on the distance events.
    Awesome 200 Tim...wish I'd been next to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Three years ago. You are definitely closing the gap on the distance events.
    Hmm, interesting. Maybe I'll have to keep plugging away at my distance in workout.

I found results from a SCM meet I did in 2000:

400m free: 5:30.87
    200m breast: 3:10.73

Nice to see them both drop, even as I age (and injure myself)
    Quote Originally Posted by SwimStud
    Awesome 200 Tim...wish I'd been next to you.
    Thanks Rich, and next year we'll have to seed our entries close, and stick to it.

I took a peek at your 50 breast & free, and those times both look great to me. I was going to reply to your post, but the reply button doesn't show for me. Have you played around with your blog settings?