View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

NE SCM Champs

Rate this Entry
by , December 10th, 2011 at 10:18 PM (2518 Views)
Today went very well -- better than I expected! My elbows didn't feel great hoisting bags in and out of airports yesterday and I had another ill-timed affliction that the ladies will understand.

100 IM: 1:11.99

This is my second fastest time as a master; my prior best (1:11.5) was in a B70 a couple years ago. Did not have a great start. The starter was very quick and I didn't have my hands together in a streamline entering the water. Had a very good first 50, with 14 SDKs on the backstroke leg (nose clip). Breast leg was OK, but I felt virtually paralyzed on the last 25. Still very pleased with the time. It was only .3 off the NR, and faster than my last time from yards (converted). May give it another go in March.

I could barely walk to the warm down pool after ...

100 fly: 1:11.3

As usual, I had thoughts of scratching. But I tried to comfort myself with the fact that there were walls instead of the virtual open water of long course. I had a much better start, and was very close to the 15 meter mark. I really did try to go very slow on the first 50 -- 32.8. Lol I just don't have a slower gear. Predictably died the last half of the final 25. Still the time was just a bit slower than last year when I swam 100 fly first, and I'll take it. And won't swim it again until next December!

50 free, NS

Too tired after the 100 fly and not enough rest. Will do it as a split tomorrow.

50 breast, 38.22

So glad I passed on the 50 free because this is a very fast time for me. Last year, I went a 38.9 in SCM and this is 2 seconds faster than I swam at Auburn in long course. I had a very good start and long pull out. I was very tickled to see that this is the fastest time in the event rankings. Just keeping it real, though, a friend told me I had terrible head position and should swim with a whiffle ball. She's right of course, but I'm still stoked by the time!

-----------------------------------------------------

Pretty darn happy with this day after an up and down Fall. Tomorrow I just have the 50 fly and 50 free. I'm not going to do a fly split in the 200 IM. I'm opting to conserve energy and hope for a good start in the open 50. My fly felt fast today, so hopefully I can crank out a good one tomorrow. Hoping I can get some sleep, but I had some caffeine this afternoon.

Had a great time meeting forum friends and seeing other friends!!! That always makes a meet more fun.

Submit "NE SCM Champs" to Digg Submit "NE SCM Champs" to del.icio.us Submit "NE SCM Champs" to StumbleUpon Submit "NE SCM Champs" to Google

Updated December 11th, 2011 at 01:31 AM by The Fortress

Categories
Masters Swim Meets / Events

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. The Fortress's Avatar
    Oh, and swam in my suit with the tiny hole, which thankfully held up well!
  2. knelson's Avatar
    Nice swimming. Good luck tomorrow!
  3. jaadams1's Avatar
    Congrats on the fast swims and the hole not getting bigger!!
  4. aztimm's Avatar
    It was great to finally meet you and see you swim!
    That 100 IM was just incredible! But after you finished, Rich pointed out how you were floundering on top of the gutter.

    I was wondering about that hole...glad it held out, and hope it continues to tomorrow
  5. rxleakem's Avatar
    Keep up those fast swims! Great to meet you and watch you dominate in the pool. Try to save some records so you'll want to come back next year!

    Thanks again for the honey gel - far superior to that blackberry goo I tried before the 10k!
  6. That Guy's Avatar
    Good swims! Except my 50 SCM breast time is 0.06 faster than yours, neener neener
  7. pwb's Avatar
    Nice job, Leslie. With the injuries and pain, this must have felt very good.
  8. jaadams1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy
    Good swims! Except my 50 SCM breast time is 0.06 faster than yours, neener neener
    That is funny, not sure which part...I think the part of That Guy trying to beat a 50 year young lady...at least he was successful.
  9. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    Nice swimming. Good luck tomorrow!
    Thanks Kirk!
  10. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Congrats on the fast swims and the hole not getting bigger!!
    I did have a back up suit, but it was very old. So I braved the newer suit with the hole. Glad it didn't shred at an untimely moment!
  11. jaadams1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I did have a back up suit, but it was very old. So I braved the newer suit with the hole. Glad it didn't shred at an untimely moment!
    If it does be sure to post pictures!!
  12. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    It was great to finally meet you and see you swim!
    That 100 IM was just incredible! But after you finished, Rich pointed out how you were floundering on top of the gutter.

    I was wondering about that hole...glad it held out, and hope it continues to tomorrow
    It was a good swim on that dastardly bare wall. The referee did have to ask me to move though. Lol
  13. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rxleakem
    Keep up those fast swims! Great to meet you and watch you dominate in the pool. Try to save some records so you'll want to come back next year!

    Thanks again for the honey gel - far superior to that blackberry goo I tried before the 10k!
    Glad you liked the honey stinger gel. Their chews and waffles are good too.

    I felt bad they kept announcing I was setting NE LMSC records when I'm a PV girl. They probably assume everyone swimming here is from the NE area.
  14. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy
    Good swims! Except my 50 SCM breast time is 0.06 faster than yours, neener neener
    I don't want to even think about how much faster your 100 fly time is! I guess breast could be a gridge event for us.
  15. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Nice job, Leslie. With the injuries and pain, this must have felt very good.
    Thanks, yes very much. It did help that I rested the elbows for 2 weeks pre meet. And they don't feel too badly tonight.

    Hope your meet went well today. Looking forward to the report!
  16. That Guy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I guess breast could be a gridge event for us.
  17. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy
    My won loss record would likely depend on the quality of the start. I'm so inconsistent.
  18. jaadams1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Glad you liked the honey stinger gel. Their chews and waffles are good too.

    I felt bad they kept announcing I was setting NE LMSC records when I'm a PV girl. They probably assume everyone swimming here is from the NE area.
    I have had that happen before with PNA and Oregon as well. I have to go up and tell them that I'm not from PNA or Oregon. They just get confused.
  19. knelson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    I have had that happen before with PNA and Oregon as well. I have to go up and tell them that I'm not from PNA or Oregon. They just get confused.
    They were even more confused when That Guy broke a world record and he had to tell the announcer he was from Mars.
  20. qbrain's Avatar
    I could barely walk to the warm down pool after ...
    After that swim, I would hope so. Awesome time, you chicked me.

    Loved the fly thoughts especially "virtually open water".

    It is always sad to see you scratch the 50 free, but I agree, you need to have caught your breath so a breathing strategy is possible.

    Good luck today.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast