Warm up
- 400 free
- 200 back
Main Set Sprint
- 12x25 on :45 12.5 AFAP, 12.5 ez
Main Set Kick
-- 4x each 50 on 1:30
- 25 sprint flutter kick/25 ez back
- 50 overkick (12 beat kick, like 6/6 drill without pausing)
- 50 Fast let kick drive the turnover
- 50 overkick
- 25 sprint dolphin kick/25 ez back
- 50 ez back
Cool down
- 100 ez

I didn't feel very torquey on the 12.5s and I think I should have.

The goals of the kick set:
- AFAP on the sprint kicks
- over kick: put the focus on the kick without killing the legs
- integrate the kick during the fast 50 by focusing on kicking as fast as possible with kick driving arm speed.

Sprinters (or sprint knowledgeable non-sprinters), please let me know if that is not a very sprinty workout. I should have been reading Fort's pool workouts for these last 3 years instead of skipping that section. Oops.

Training plan:
- No periodization
- Weekly break down: 2 hard aerobic, 1 speed, 1 lactate, 1 ez aerobic
- 3 week taper
- no ramp up (hard aerobic will not exceed 4k)
- lift once a week
- core twice a week
- diet: no alcohol the night before morning workouts or competition days

Goals:
-- Feb SCY meet
- 50 free: 23.99
- 100 free: 52.99
- 200 free: 1:57.99
-- Zones shave and taper meet
- 50 free: 23 low
- 100 free: 50 mid
- 200 free: 1:54

Recent bests (Oct 2, 2010; same pool as Zone; not shaved/tapered/rested):
- 50 free: 24.15
- 100 free: 53.06
- 200 free: 1:59.73

I think I am in the best 200 swimming shape I have been in a while, thus the higher expectation for the 200 in Feb.

Submit "Sprint? workout; training plan and goals" to Digg Submit "Sprint? workout; training plan and goals" to del.icio.us Submit "Sprint? workout; training plan and goals" to StumbleUpon Submit "Sprint? workout; training plan and goals" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

You didn't feel very torquey because you haven't done any speed work. It will take awhile for your body to respond.

I think you could stand to do some focused turnover work for your free too. Lots of fast hands doggy paddle and maybe some of those 3-5-7-9-11-9-7-5-3 fast strokes sets.
    12x25 on :45 12.5 AFAP, 12.5 ez
    Why are you in such a hurry?
    Yeah, that's a tight interval for true speed work.
    I stole the 25s set from Ehoch's Speed Zone thread but he recommended 60-90s rest, and I only took about 40. Poor memory I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Hands
    Why are you in such a hurry?
    I think once a middle d type person, always a middle d type person. You've been training one way most of your life, and then it's hard to just "flip a switch" and become different overnight. Good luck on your adventure with the dark side.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Lots of fast hands doggy paddle
    I will use that as my one of my primary drills for a while and see how that helps. I use fist right now for fast turn over work during drills, but the over drills I am using aren't focused on problem areas, so it would be good to replace them. Fast doggy paddle and fist drills it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    I think once a middle d type person, always a middle d type person. You've been training one way most of your life, and then it's hard to just "flip a switch" and become different overnight. Good luck on your adventure with the dark side.
    Unlike you, I don't have an entire lifetime to reprogram, but I don't know that I have ever done sprint training so it is a learning process. Mid-d training is pretty easy, if you are out of breath when it is time to start the next one, you are probably doing things right, if not swim faster or cut the rest.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams18
    BS! I trained mid-D and swam mid-D events as an age grouper. I probably swam as many 200 flys as you. And I've loved switching to drop dead sprints where 100 is a stretch. .

Though genetics do play a role ... I was probably better suited for this all along.

It doesnt happen overnight though, that's true.