View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Sunday, Mar. 8

Rate this Entry
Been feeling pretty fatigued from the last couple weeks of workouts. Decided to have an easier weekend. Took yesterday off. Couldn't go to my team practice today, as Mini-Fort was swimming one event at Junior Champs (200 fly, dropped 5 seconds, used my Pro). In fact, I'm worried I won't get to a team practice in awhile as the next 3 weekends are Senior Champs/JOs/Senior Sectionals with a regatta and soccer mixed in. Hmmm... Going to have to beg Mr. Fort to stop traveling so much during the week.

Spoke with Mini-Fort's coach for quite awhile today. He was grilling me about my Auburn times and training. I told him, as I've told others, that the heavier lifting + the fact that I don't use kick sets as recovery is huge. He is really urging me to swim the 50 free at Sectionals. I hadn't really realized I'd made the QT. (Oddly, I missed in the 100 fly and 100 back, my real strokes.) Think I'll probably pass though, as it's the weekend after Albatross and may conflict with Fort Son's regatta. Plus, my time is not in the SWIMS database, although he seemed untroubled by this fact. lol.

Anyway, swam at the gym pool today, which happily was a relatively chilly 85 degrees. Just did a recovery workout.

SCM/Solo:

800 variety warm up

Recovery Set:

4 x (10 x 50) @ 1:00

#1-10
odds breaststroke pull
evens single arm fly drill

#11-20
odds, 25 belly shooter, 25 easy
evens, 25 back shooter, 25 easy

(I couldn't find my nose clip to use on these, and was actually disappointed. May have to order in bulk.)

#21-30
all 10: 25 easy speed/DPS fly, 25 easy
50 easy

#31-40
all ten: tempo flutter kick w/board

100 EZ

50 fly AFAP w/fins (went 27, felt dreadful)

150 EZ

Total: 3150

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hip is still twingey. It's a 2 step forward/one step back kind of thing. May quit lower body weight work until after the Albatross meet to let it fully recover and then re-start this project slowly and carefully. Very annoying. Will see chiro this week too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last 2 week summary:

This week:

swim, 5x, approx 17,200 yards
weights/core, 3x

Last week:

swim, 5x, approx 19,200 yards
weights/core, 4x
run, 2x, 10 miles
spin, 50 minutes

OK, this confirms I overdid things a bit last week, may have overtrained. Biggest problem with the weights is it makes it really really hard to do lactate work. I feel as though I haven't gotten much in lately. Would like to get in more fast 25s and 50s this week.

Submit "Sunday, Mar. 8" to Digg Submit "Sunday, Mar. 8" to del.icio.us Submit "Sunday, Mar. 8" to StumbleUpon Submit "Sunday, Mar. 8" to Google

Updated March 8th, 2009 at 05:29 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

  1. elise526's Avatar
    Wow, you did quite a bit the last two weeks! I'm no expert, but I've been told to lay off the squats if you are going to go out for runs of more than 2 miles.

    You seem to naturally have a good bit of power in your lower body, so you might want to ask yourself if doing lower body weights outweighs the risk for injury. With your natural leg strength, the core exercises you are doing, and the work you are doing with fins, you seem to have it covered pretty well. You might want to at least lay off the squats and leg press. Also, if hip is bothering you, definitely lay off the hip add/abd. sets.
  2. Jazz Hands's Avatar
    Re: stop squatting. Bad idea.
  3. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by elise526
    Wow, you did quite a bit the last two weeks! I'm no expert, but I've been told to lay off the squats if you are going to go out for runs of more than 2 miles.

    You seem to naturally have a good bit of power in your lower body, so you might want to ask yourself if doing lower body weights outweighs the risk for injury. With your natural leg strength, the core exercises you are doing, and the work you are doing with fins, you seem to have it covered pretty well. You might want to at least lay off the squats and leg press. Also, if hip is bothering you, definitely lay off the hip add/abd. sets.
    Well, that was my thought initially as well. Seemed like the kicking, fin work, running etc. covered the lower body. But both Jazz and Q thought I should still do the lower body weights. I see Chris re-emphasized the importance of leg strength in his blog today.

    Going to lay off the other stuff + running for maybe 2 weeks. I might spin one day instead of running ... though it's so nice out right now ... But the running does seem to aggro the hip. I miss my running endorphins though.
  4. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Hands
    Re: stop squatting. Bad idea.
    In general? Or not for the 2 weeks?
  5. Jazz Hands's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    In general? Or not for the 2 weeks?
    I mean you need to squat.
  6. tjrpatt's Avatar
    that is really cool that you can swim at Sectionals. I wish that they had Sectionals when I was coming up. It would have been a good consolidation when I missed my Junior Cut in LCM in 1995 by 1 second in 200 fly. All the good stuff happens when I left USA Swimming in the late 90s.
  7. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Hands
    I mean you need to squat.
    You're a man of many words, Jazz.
  8. elise526's Avatar
    Read Lezak's view on squats. I'm with him. I think other exercises you are doing will cover it.

    From Lezak himself:

    "Getting the most out of the gym means being smart and not doing exercises that put a lot of stress on the knees and back such as power lifting exercises. That is why I do not do any squats, cleans, or dead lifts."

    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jasonlezak1.htm

    Funny how pain can work. Sometimes you can feel the pain in your knee and it is actually your hip that is injured. Sometimes you can feel it in your hip and it is your back that is injured. Can't remember the word/phrase for it.
    Updated March 8th, 2009 at 08:14 PM by elise526
  9. jim thornton's Avatar
    I think you are referring to "referred pain".
  10. qbrain's Avatar
    If you are injured, don't make it worse.

    Running is important to you, so don't let lifting ruin that. You can squat twice a week and still get a few long runs in.

    I think you are doing too much in the gym. Just squat and be done with legs. Add a chest and a back and be done with heavy lifting for the day. This should speed your recovery so you can continue to hit the gym hard, run, and spend more time on the core work you actually enjoy.
  11. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by elise526
    Read Lezak's view on squats. I'm with him. I think other exercises you are doing will cover it.

    From Lezak himself:

    "Getting the most out of the gym means being smart and not doing exercises that put a lot of stress on the knees and back such as power lifting exercises. That is why I do not do any squats, cleans, or dead lifts."

    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jasonlezak1.htm

    Funny how pain can work. Sometimes you can feel the pain in your knee and it is actually your hip that is injured. Sometimes you can feel it in your hip and it is your back that is injured. Can't remember the word/phrase for it.
    Thanks for the article, Elise. I'll definitely read it.

    It's called sclerotogenous pain. (That's why my chiro thought pain in the trap indicated a labrum issue.) This is apparently a fairly hot topic in sports medicine at the moment.
  12. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    If you are injured, don't make it worse.

    Running is important to you, so don't let lifting ruin that. You can squat twice a week and still get a few long runs in.

    I think you are doing too much in the gym. Just squat and be done with legs. Add a chest and a back and be done with heavy lifting for the day. This should speed your recovery so you can continue to hit the gym hard, run, and spend more time on the core work you actually enjoy.
    Yeah, it seemed to work better not doing too much lower body work in the gym. That's why I thought maybe canning the leg extenions/leg curls, adductor/abductors was a good idea.

    I don't know if it's an "injury" per se. I hate that word. I've certainly strained something that didn't like the overload from last week and isn't disappearing quickly. Although, to be fair, the initial strain had nothing to with lower body weights, as I did it 2 weeks before Auburn.
  13. qbrain's Avatar
    Yeah, can it
  14. pwb's Avatar
    OK, either I'm going to be woefully under-prepared for my distance races or you need to start swimming some distance races. I was all psyched with myself that I've average 20K yards a week for the past week, thinking I'm really "cranking it up" for my 1000 next weekend and then I see you, serious sprinter, doing practically as much as me in the pool plus more outside.

    Damn ... you're cranking.
  15. The Fortress's Avatar
    I don't feel like I've been cranking as much in the pool as in the weight room. Before Austin, I was more like 10,000-14,000 per week. Since then, I've been + 15,000 with more aerobic work. Works better for me, I think.

    Hey, I swam two 200s. That is distance, baby!