View RSS Feed

My non-workout blog and random thoughts

Bucket List

Rate this Entry
One of my friends and carpool buddies had to go the hospital this weekend. He had been having trouble with ulcers over the years.

I guess we know that some ulcers are caused by bacteria - and some are caused by stress - or both.

Anyway, my friend was feeling weak, bloated and just not well. He had a upper GI exam and it indicated that he had a blockage in his stomach (i think).

He finally underwent surgery to try to find the source of the blockage. It turns out it was scar tissue from the ulcers.

Furthermore, they also found a tumor in his pancreas. I don't know if the tumor is benign (as I hope) or .... I do know that malignant pancreatic cancer can be the end. No hope. End of the game. My father is a retired pathologist and he did a lot of diagnosis on tumors often while the patient was still on the table. I would guess that the surgeon would know the diagnosis within a minutes.

One of my other dear childhood friends, Vicky Chidester, who graced the cover of our USMS magazine, lost her battle with colon cancer. She will be sorely missed by her family and everyone that knew her.

Another one of my friends just had a double mastectomy and is recovering very nicely. I'm so happy for her and I know she will be back on the tennis court in the near future.

So, what's a bucket list? Well, it's the name of a recent movie: two guys are terminally ill and sharing a hospital room. They make a list of things they want to do before they leave this earth - and proceed to do it.

I'm reaching the age where retirement is almost in reach. I've worked and saved and had some professional success, but realize that "you can't take it with you" - as much as that is a bad cliche. So what to do? I guess that I need to work on that bucket list - things I'd like to do, places I'd like to see and memories that need to be made.

The NMSU pool switched over to long course last night. Not only did Daylight savings whammy hit, but the pool got longer and lost some very valuable walls (glide off those turns). Still, it was very beautiful to swim in the darkness again. As an added bonus, we had a light drizzle of rain. Very cool and very good for the psyche.

Submit "Bucket List" to Digg Submit "Bucket List" to del.icio.us Submit "Bucket List" to StumbleUpon Submit "Bucket List" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

[quote]Still, it was very beautiful to swim in the darkness again. As an added bonus, we had a light drizzle of rain. Very cool and very good for the psyche.[quote]

Amazing how the weather can impact mood. Swimming outside in the dark in the rain can be magical ... and it sounds like you need some magic right now.