View RSS Feed

Random Nonsense

Catchup drill, catching up on 3 workouts

Rate this Entry
I had an enjoyable busy weekend. I hope everyone had a happy New Year, even Geek.

Saturday - LT day
Lifetime SCM
Warm up
- 400 free
- 200 back
- 200 kick w/board
- 200 back
Sprints
- 6x25 12.5 AFAP/12.5 ez on 60
LT Set
- 6x50 on 4:00 (30,30,30,29,29,29)
Cool down
- 300 ez

Sunday - Technique Day
Lifetime SCM
Warm up
- 400 free
- 200 back
- 200 kick w/board
- 200 back
Drill/Technique
- 10x25 on 30 w/fins
- 10x25 on 30
-- focus on keeping the hand high during the glide, just under the surface; EVF
- probably more random swimming

Monday - Hard Aerobic
Team Practice SCY (No one on my intervals)
Warm up
- 300 swim
- 200 kick w/fins
- 300 pull
Transition
- 6x50 drill/swim
Main Set
- 200 kick w/fins
- 6x150 on 2:30 (40,40,38,38,38,37)
- 6x50 w/fins alternate back/dolphin on back
- 8x50 pull descend 1-4
Cool Down

I really am enjoying LT day. It is so little yardage but leaves me completely destroyed. Getting down to 29s from a push was good for me.

Sunday I wasn't expecting to swim because I thought the pool would be closed in the morning but Lifetime didn't close for the New Year, so we got in a quick morning yoga swim in.

Today's 150s were the only really difficult set and it feels like I should be going faster on them given the rest. My goal was to swim under 1:40 and was probably a little too conservative early in the set.

Submit "Catchup drill, catching up on 3 workouts" to Digg Submit "Catchup drill, catching up on 3 workouts" to del.icio.us Submit "Catchup drill, catching up on 3 workouts" to StumbleUpon Submit "Catchup drill, catching up on 3 workouts" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Happy New Year.

I remain confused as to what constitutes aerobic. For me aerobic is a sustained effort of 30+ minutes with almost no rest. I see others, like you, refer to aerobic as a hard effort but not terribly long.

So, which is it, or could it be both?
    That's a good question. I always thought of aerobic as more of a cardio based workout such as you described....usually a 30 minute set with little rest. And anaerobic would fall into the category of sprinting (high intensity, shorter distances and less breathing).

I found this definition on-line which seems to make sense.
    Anaerobic exercise comprises brief, strength-based activities, such as sprinting or bodybuilding, whereas aerobic exercise is centered around endurance activities, such as marathon running or long-distance cycling.
    Quote Originally Posted by aquageek
    Happy New Year.

I remain confused as to what constitutes aerobic. For me aerobic is a sustained effort of 30+ minutes with almost no rest. I see others, like you, refer to aerobic as a hard effort but not terribly long.

I tend to class aerobic work into easy or hard as well. Perhaps EN1 is easy aerobic, EN2 is hard aerobic and EN3 is anaerobic?
    Geek, Quick and Fort,

I am using hard aerobic pretty generally. It is not sprinting, it is not max efforts and it is not at a pace I can sustain indefinitely. So my hard aerobic day might have a set or two like todays set with a 1:2 work to rest ratio around 500 pace, or it might be a tight interval survival swim or it might be even more rest than today/shorter distance at 200 pace.

Zone 3/EN-2/EN-3 http://www.teamunify.com/reno/__doc_...20Swimming.pdf

The longer stuff I did this summer (T4000, hour swims, 6x500s) I would label endurance.
    Updated January 2nd, 2012 at 02:31 PM by qbrain
    Quote Originally Posted by aquageek

To answer your question specifically, I think it is both. Swimming at or below aerobic threshold pace, only uses aerobic energy. Going above aerobic threshold, you still use 100% of the aerobic energy available in addition to anaerobic energy. The faster you go, the less percentage wise the aerobic system contributes, but it is still contributing 100% of what is capable.

Which method is best for increasing performance of the aerobic system, I don't know.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Geek, Quick and Fort,

I am using hard aerobic pretty generally. It is not sprinting, it is not max efforts and it is not at a pace I can sustain indefinitely. So my hard aerobic day might have a set or two like todays set with a 1:2 work to rest ratio around 500 pace, or it might be a tight interval survival swim or it might be even more rest than today/shorter distance at 200 pace.

Zone 3/EN-2/EN-3 http://www.teamunify.com/reno/__doc_...20Swimming.pdf

The longer stuff I did this summer (T4000, hour swims, 6x500s) I would label endurance.
    I did almost the same set as you this afternoon, and according to the "energy zones in swimming" chart on that link, I would classify the 150s as the SP1-2 group, rather than EN3. Definitely anerobic. At least that's the way I swam them. Busting *ss, 2:1 work:rest, heart rate pumping, barely able to recover in time to do it again.

One of my most favorite all time sets in college was the 20x100s Free @ 1:30, trying to maintain as fast as you can. Back then, I was at :54-:55s, having that 2:1 work rest ratio to do it again and again.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    I did almost the same set as you this afternoon, and according to the "energy zones in swimming" chart on that link, I would classify the 150s as the SP1-2 group, rather than EN3. Definitely anerobic. At least that's the way I swam them. Busting *ss, 2:1 work:rest, heart rate pumping, barely able to recover in time to do it again.

One of my most favorite all time sets in college was the 20x100s Free @ 1:30, trying to maintain as fast as you can. Back then, I was at :54-:55s, having that 2:1 work rest ratio to do it again and again.
    This link makes it more clear: http://teriwenzel.tamu.edu/swimming/...%20Dummies.htm

Sample Swims and Sets

Recovery 2000 yards at low exertion

Aerobic 4 x 500 yards with 1:00 rest at moderate exertion

Mix Aerobic/Anaerobic 6 x 150 with 3:00 rest at high exertion

Anaerobic 4 x 100 with 5:00 rest at very high exertion

Creatine Phosphate 12 x 15 with 2:00 rest at high exertion