- 100 back recovery
- 4x200 on 4:00 broken at the 100 for 10s; #2 90%
-- #1s (3,2,3,5), #2s (5-6)
- 100 kick recovery
- 4x100 on 2:00 broken at the 50 for 5s; #2 100%
-- 29/31, 28/30, 29/31, 30/33
Cool down
- 300 ez

There were supposed to be 8 100s for the pattern spotters. Given the intervals, it was a 75 minute workout, which I did not get in the pool early enough to finish ... and I blew up on #4.

I didn't really understand the 80,90,100 progression on the back half of the broken swims and what the front half was supposed to be, so I pushed the front half and dialed back the back half some.

The second 50 of the broken 100s were 100% effort, but with only 5s rest, weren't that close to the first 50. My goal was to break 30 4x and call an end to the set. Attempting to break 30 on the second 50s probably resulted in me blowing up and not breaking it on the 4th 100. I was really really hoping to break 30 four 50s in a row.

Very good set for me.

During the 100s the coach came down and asked if I was going to finish, and I told him no. He said Wednesday's are going to be distance day going forward, which I thought was funny but knew he actually meant the workouts would be closer to 4k than our typical 3k, not that is would actually be distance focused.

Zone Reference: http://teriwenzel.tamu.edu/swimming/...%20Dummies.htm

Submit "Zone 3:  A very painful zone" to Digg Submit "Zone 3:  A very painful zone" to del.icio.us Submit "Zone 3:  A very painful zone" to StumbleUpon Submit "Zone 3:  A very painful zone" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

So zone 3 is the mixed anaerobic... (according to the chart?)

That's was a fairly rigorous practice today btw.

Sample Swims and Sets

Recovery 2000 yards at low exertion

Aerobic 4 x 500 yards with 1:00 rest at moderate exertion

Mix Aerobic/Anaerobic 6 x 150 with 3:00 rest at high exertion

Anaerobic 4 x 100 with 5:00 rest at very high exertion

Creatine Phosphate 12 x 15 with 2:00 rest at high exertion
    Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver
    So zone 3 is the mixed anaerobic... (according to the chart?)

That's was a fairly rigorous practice today btw.
    Yes. I only used "Zone 3" today because my "hard aerobic" term came under question. It seems to me that it is 3 zone 3 sets with a recovery set between each. Not sure it that is accurate, but I am positive I got a good workout in
    Well, it definitely wasn't a recovery set, nor a creatine phosphate one either. So by default it was aerobic and a hard one at that.

When is your next meet so you can see the results of all this practicing?
    That looks suspiciously like what we'd do here with Paul coaching

Those sound like great times to me (considering that you're roughly 5 sec/100 faster than me).

How did the workout fit in with your training plan?

So not anyone else to do the workout with at all? Kinda defeats the point of a team swim, doesn't it? Is there anyone even close? Are the others all faster, all slower, or a mix?

While I do think a good coach is a great part of team workouts, having other swimmers to suffer through the set together completes it for me.
    Well, it definitely wasn't a recovery set, nor a creatine phosphate one either. So by default it was aerobic and a hard one at that.

I thought hard aerobic was a good name

When is your next meet so you can see the results of all this practicing?
    Last weekend in Feb, two day meet. Day 1 is a normal meet, day 2 is the Republic of Texas World Short Course Yards Championships where speed suits are still legal and the meet format is the 4 50s and a 100 IM order drawn out of a hat.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    That looks suspiciously like what we'd do here with Paul coaching

Those sound like great times to me (considering that you're roughly 5 sec/100 faster than me).
    Apparently that set is not new, that was just the first time I didn't modify the intervals/set so much it was no longer recognizable. And Dave did call it a distance set...

Those were great times for me. I do feel like I need to spend more time under the minute mark training 100s, but I need to spend time under the 1:05 mark first

How did the workout fit in with your training plan?
    The current plan is MWF hard aerobic, TTh technique/drill, Sat sprint, Sun Speed and the goal is to make it to 5 workouts a week. So that workout was good for a hard aerobic. Now that I think about it, TTh and Sat could all be speed work, with technique after or mixed in. I don't have much motivation to get up for the 40 minute workouts Tues and Thurs and none to get up earlier than 4:18 so I could get more time in the pool.

So not anyone else to do the workout with at all? Kinda defeats the point of a team swim, doesn't it? Is there anyone even close? Are the others all faster, all slower, or a mix?
    Josh wasn't there today so there was no one to race and he is the only person faster than me. There are plenty of people who can make 100s on 2:00, but it doesn't really benefit me to just have the same send offs.

I don't know what the point is of a team swim, but training with a team makes it easier to get up and swim hard than swimming solo. My solo training usually sucks unless I have a fairly immediate justification (not dying in the middle of the ocean off Waikiki was a good one).