View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Wed., Jan. 4

Rate this Entry
Bikram yoga, 90 minutes

Due to travel, taper, injuries, I haven't been to bikram since Nov. 4 -- along two month hiatus. Of course, I have been stretching regularly since then. Flexibility -- very good. Heat tolerance -- much better than expected. Balance -- meh. I tried to be cautious of my ankle. It seemed pretty crowded for a 2:00 pm weekday class.

Bike, 30 minutes


+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I'd like to do a speed and lactate workout the next 2 days. Not sure which order I'm going to do them in.

In other news:

1. Fort Son swears by AMP, amplified muscle igniter pre-workout. Looks like a lot of caffeine to me.

2. Lil Fort and her classmates petitioned her school to use yoga balls instead of chairs at their desks. So now most of the class is bouncing/sitting on yoga balls with little feet. Kids ...

3. Mr. Fort bought me this shirt for xmas: http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/?l=sh...72/pgid-416386. I'm wondering if I can wear it to the gym without looking like a complete jerk.

4. Mr. Fort is considering competing in the duathlon nationals, which are in this area, in June.

5. I also got the Paleo Diet for Athletes for xmas, which I will be interested to read.

6. New article on diet in WSJ says that calorie counters are right. Weight gain from excess calories is the same regardless of the composition of the diet in terms of protein, fat and carbs. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123559955210376029.html

Submit "Wed., Jan. 4" to Digg Submit "Wed., Jan. 4" to del.icio.us Submit "Wed., Jan. 4" to StumbleUpon Submit "Wed., Jan. 4" to Google

Updated January 4th, 2012 at 08:21 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Spinning , Yoga

Comments

  1. That Guy's Avatar
    1. Yes
    2. No
    3. Maybe
  2. poolraat's Avatar
    I'm wondering if I can wear it to the gym without looking like a complete jerk.
    Who cares what others think? Wear it! It's you.
  3. qbrain's Avatar
    1. You have enough trouble sleeping already.
    2. Pure Awesome
    3. Yes

    Wouldn't LT sprint be a bad idea?
  4. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by poolraat
    Who cares what others think?
    This is what happens when we get old.
  5. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    1. You have enough trouble sleeping already.
    2. Pure Awesome
    3. Yes

    Wouldn't LT sprint be a bad idea?
    1. I actually tried the AMP the am of NE Champs. But it wasn't the 4x variety, I don't think. I did sleep like crap for a couple nights after. Normally, I avoid all caffeine after my morning coffee.

    2. Lol, they seem to like it. And they did some actual research to support their petition.

    3. Good

    Yeah, probably right, I'd have to sprint first. I was hoping to meet up with Speedo, but he's awol. Maybe the New Year's oysters didn't agree.
  6. qbrain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Yeah, probably right, I'd have to sprint first. I was hoping to meet up with Speedo, but he's awol. Maybe the New Year's oysters didn't agree.
    He might be stuck in the wall because he thought it would be fun to go exploring.
  7. pwb's Avatar
    Love #2! I might just get me one for my home office. It's a great idea.
  8. qbrain's Avatar
    Since you are still blogging... #5 is sitting on my desk as well waiting for me to read it. So are about 80 other things.
  9. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Love #2! I might just get me one for my home office. It's a great idea.
    You can flog it as core work.
  10. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Since you are still blogging... #5 is sitting on my desk as well waiting for me to read it. So are about 80 other things.
    I have a huge pile up as well. My current obsession with Breaking Bad did nothing to winnow it down over the holiday.

    I wonder what the Paleos would say to the WSJ article? Although I'm assuming the athletes that try it are more interesting in the energy producing aspects. It is certainly the rage among cross fitters.
  11. qbrain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I wonder what the Paleos would say to the WSJ article?
    I think it would depend on who you asked, because there seem to be a ton of interpretations of it. What makes sense is that Paleo eliminates all the connivence foods which makes it more difficult to consume calories. If it is more work to eat, most people are going to eat less rather than consume 1,000 calories of raw cabbage.

    And because of the difficulty in consuming carbs on Paleo, I am interested to see what the Paleo for Athletes has to say about getting enough calories for endurance sports.
  12. Jazz Hands's Avatar
    About #6, I really do think high-protein diets are special because of the satiety from protein and the body composition advantage. Both have been demonstrated in a lot of intervention studies, and high-protein worked for me when I tried it. The paleo diet is pretty high in protein (also fruits and vegetables!), so I think it will help you with body composition, if that's what you're into. Although the ostensible mechanisms of paleo are transparently silly.

    Furthermore: Anyone who thinks losing/gaining weight is just about choosing to eat less/more is completely ignoring the physical-psychological link that drives appetite. Gary Taubes (who is mostly wrong about everything) had a great analogy to explain the argument against the simplistic calories in/out school: why do children grow? You could argue that children grow because they consume more calories than they expend. And in fact they do. Otherwise they would stay the same weight. But it's not like they can control their energy ratio. Rather, their genes and hormones drive them to eat a certain amount of food, which causes them to gain weight. The only difference with adults is that there isn't such a strong hormonal drive to grow. But hormones are still doing things. And the type of food you eat, the type and amount of exercise you do, and so many other factors do affect appetite. That a person can simply choose an amount of food to eat and therefore maintain a certain weight is a myth.
    Updated January 4th, 2012 at 09:43 PM by Jazz Hands
  13. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Hands
    About #6, I really do think high-protein diets are special because of the satiety from protein and the body composition advantage. Both have been demonstrated in a lot of intervention studies, and high-protein worked for me when I tried it. The paleo diet is pretty high in protein (also fruits and vegetables!), so I think it will help you with body composition, if that's what you're into. Although the ostensible mechanisms of paleo are transparently silly.

    Furthermore: Anyone who thinks losing/gaining weight is just about choosing to eat less/more is completely ignoring the physical-psychological link that drives appetite. Gary Taubes (who is mostly wrong about everything) had a great analogy to explain the argument against the simplistic calories in/out school: why do children grow? You could argue that children grow because they consume more calories than they expend. And in fact they do. Otherwise they would stay the same weight. But it's not like they can control their energy ratio. Rather, their genes and hormones drive them to eat a certain amount of food, which causes them to gain weight. The only difference with adults is that there isn't such a strong hormonal drive to grow. But hormones are still doing things. And the type of food you eat, the type and amount of exercise you do, and so many other factors do affect appetite. That a person can simply choose an amount of food to eat and therefore maintain a certain weight is a myth.
    The high protein diet makes sense to me.

    I've always thought that the calories-in/calories out school of thought was superficially appealing, and perhaps true in most cases. But I could never buy it completely. As you note, it conveniently overlooks the role of hormones. For example, certain hormones (thyroid, testosterone) can cause you to lose weight, and without the appropriate amounts of them, you won't. Increasing others can cause you to gain weight no matter what you eat. The Occam's razor CICO approach works, but not universally.

    I read somewhere recently that taking 5 HTP before a meal can act as an appetite suppressant. (And obviously there are plenty of more serious ones on the market.)
  14. aquageek's Avatar
    In regards to #3, I recommend wearing it. I was gonna post a photo of the suit my girls made me for Christmas from splish.com but I can't figure out how to do that on your blog.
  15. qbrain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aquageek
    In regards to #3, I recommend wearing it. I was gonna post a photo of the suit my girls made me for Christmas from splish.com but I can't figure out how to do that on your blog.
    I hope it is pink with strawberries.
  16. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aquageek
    In regards to #3, I recommend wearing it. I was gonna post a photo of the suit my girls made me for Christmas from splish.com but I can't figure out how to do that on your blog.
    Good, it would seem churlish to return it. The splish suits are definitely for the 14 & U crowd. If it's not strawberries, it's swirls and polka dots.