View RSS Feed

Random Nonsense

LT with fins - The I hate Fort workout

Rate this Entry
I liked fins better when I used them as a crutch. I am never ever buying a monofin.

Lifetime SCM w/ LW
Warm up
- 400 free
- 200 back
- 200 kick w/ board
- 200 back
Sprints
- 6x25 on 60 12.5 AFAP/12.5 ez
-- still dropping left hand when sprinting
LT Set
- 5x100 on 6:00 free w/fins
-- did 100 ez after each on
-- 58,57,57,57,58
Cool down
- 200 ez

For perspective, my last 100 free scm time was 1:01.29, so I was at least 3 seconds faster on each swim today.

it hurt. Especially the last one.

I took gatorade today and had a mouth full after each 100. Not sure it made a difference during the set, but it probably allowed me to maintain enough energy to get out of the pool in a civilized manner.

Not exactly solo today. LW did 4 of the 100s with me, but she did breaststroke.

Submit "LT with fins - The I hate Fort workout" to Digg Submit "LT with fins - The I hate Fort workout" to del.icio.us Submit "LT with fins - The I hate Fort workout" to StumbleUpon Submit "LT with fins - The I hate Fort workout" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

  1. jaadams1's Avatar
    I took gatorade today and had a mouth full after each 100. Not sure it made a difference during the set, but it probably allowed me to maintain enough energy to get out of the pool in a civilized manner
    It probably would've worked better to bring a 6 pack of them, and chug 1 20oz. 2 minutes prior to each 100 w/ fins. That will test your true threshold for pain.
  2. The Fortress's Avatar
    And some with low intelligence claim that fin yardage shouldn't count for GTD ...

    Those are fast times. You should be pleased with them.
  3. qbrain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Those are fast times. You should be pleased with them.
    I am. It was a fun, interesting and painful set. I see why you do fin work all the time.

    Someone must be taking GTD too seriously if they thing fin workout shouldn't count.
  4. qbrain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    It probably would've worked better to bring a 6 pack of them, and chug 1 20oz. 2 minutes prior to each 100 w/ fins. That will test your true threshold for pain.
    Great idea. Maybe leave them out in the sun to warm up between each repeat and instead of doing a fixed number, just stop when you puke?

    You and That Guy can have that challenge set, I will pass
  5. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    I am. It was a fun, interesting and painful set. I see why you do fin work all the time.

    Someone must be taking GTD too seriously if they thing fin workout shouldn't count.
    I've seen those comments posted on the forum ... The last time I responded saying that non-crutch fin work should count double.

    I think people recognize that you need race pace training. But I think some haven't realized yet that high velocity work (faster than race pace training) is just as critical.
  6. qbrain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I think people recognize that you need race pace training. But I think some haven't realized yet that high velocity work (faster than race pace training) is just as critical.
    You are safe with the word "some".

    I tried sprint training a year ago, didn't enjoy it and was not satisfied with the results, so I don't think it is as simple as acknowledging the value of an approach (race paced/faster than race pace) but more along the lines of either figuring out how it will work in your training plan, or having a coach that will figure it out and communicate it successfully.

    Of course, I can be slow on the uptake at times.
  7. aquageek's Avatar
    I drink G2 instead of regular Gatorade so I guess that is mostly just for a change of taste from pool water or simple hydration.

    As to the energy it provides I have never considered that since at our house Gatorade is a rescue item for low blood sugar. I do know that the body very quickly absorbs the sugar in Gatorade so I assume on those of us with healthy pancreases that means a rapid release of insulin. Caffeine seems more predictable.

    All out with fins only is dreadfully painful. I did not find best average with fins and paddles to be as painful as fins only or no toys at all.
  8. qbrain's Avatar
    I always have water so I did not note that I was drinking water at about a 4:1 ratio with the gatorade. It was an experiment, the sugar might have prevented me from completely bonking #5 and the electrolytes might have prevented leg/foot cramps from using the fins at that intensity. Or it just might have had no effect on training.
  9. jaadams1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aquageek
    All out with fins only is dreadfully painful. I did not find best average with fins and paddles to be as painful as fins only or no toys at all.
    I felt about the same when I did the swim last week with the 100s AFAP fins & paddles @ 2:00 I was basically going my best 100 times from a push, yet I wasn't winded at all. Yeah tough, but not a killer. My feet were hurting more from the stupid fins and the popped blisters they gave me.

    I've tried going AFAP with no toys on a 100 Free from a push, and that hurt more than with the fins and paddles...like Geek was saying.
  10. thewookiee's Avatar
    Q, stop whinning like a baby. If you want to swim fast, its gonna hurt. If you keep whinning, I will refer to you as G2(Geek squared)
  11. qbrain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thewookiee
    Q, stop whinning like a baby. If you want to swim fast, its gonna hurt. If you keep whinning, I will refer to you as G2(Geek squared)
    Whining? That is a warning to others. Fins are supposed to be a crutch.
  12. aztimm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Fins are supposed to be a crutch.
    I saw that in Fort's post above. Seems everyone goes either one extreme (they're a crutch) or the other (they're painful) with fins, and no one takes the happy medium.

    I don't think I'd ever do a set like that, even with the team. I think we may have been assigned something similar at a team workout at some point, and a group of us did 200s in between, which pretty much made it an entirely different set.

    So how did LW did on her 100s breast?

    Anyway, good times!
  13. The Fortress's Avatar
    Sprinting is not for everyone. But I'm not able to trust most coaches to train me correctly.

    Agree with Geek: fins alone do hurt the most.

    I always drink G2 or Smart Water or some workout drink while training. I sometimes get cramps anyway from fin exertion.
  14. qbrain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    I saw that in Fort's post above. Seems everyone goes either one extreme (they're a crutch) or the other (they're painful) with fins, and no one takes the happy medium.

    I don't think I'd ever do a set like that, even with the team. I think we may have been assigned something similar at a team workout at some point, and a group of us did 200s in between, which pretty much made it an entirely different set.

    So how did LW did on her 100s breast?

    Anyway, good times!
    Fins today were painful from a muscle overload sense, not that they caused injury.

    I have changed the purpose of a workout a time or two as well.

    LW did well.

    Thanks.
  15. qbrain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Sprinting is not for everyone. But I'm not able to trust most coaches to train me correctly.

    Agree with Geek: fins alone do hurt the most.

    I always drink G2 or Smart Water or some workout drink while training. I sometimes get cramps anyway from fin exertion.
    Next time I am going to post "I did a very nice workout inspired by Fort that was very hard" and leave it at that. Sarcasm is not always the clearest form of communication.

    I was flipping through Salo a couple days ago and saw his recommendation for sports drinks so gave it a shot. It certainly wasn't a negative experience.