4 x 50 kick on 1:00

50 easy before my first ever LT set swiped from qbrain:
10 x 50 on 3:00
- did 3 FR, 1 Fly, 1 Back twice through, with 5 deep water bobs between swims
- 26.72, 26.94, 27.31, 28.94, 29.50, 27.12, 26.81, 27.06, 29.88, 29.63

50 ez before a long 300 w/d
(1900 yards, 80 min)
---------------------

Our pool is open on Sunday's during the winter, and after being sore from yesterdays d-day I decided I would use the "extra" day today to do the LT set. Wow - what was I thinking?! At least I have a short day at work tomorrow - I see an afternoon nap in the works.

I usually see Kevin during the lunchtime and master's swims, and today he came in during the w/u and took interest in what I was planning to do. Good thing - every time I finished a 50 he asked what the time was, and he swam FR when I did the first backstroke. Again, so good to have an accountability partner in the water, which is still hovering at 85.

I noticed on the 3rd free of the LT set that I was not finishing my pull, so I worked to keep up rotation on the following ones. I started to feel the pain after the fly, and it just kept getting worse, just like q said it would. My heart rate did not drop too much, and after the last one I felt as crappy as I did after the 10K this summer. I didn't hurl today, though.

I did a slow warmdown to stretch out, then came home and collapsed on the floor for about 5 minutes before hoping the chair to blog. We are heading to the sister-in-law's house for a birthday party. I am hoping to crash on the couch and sleep during a football game if there is still one on.

I am glad that I did this, because it felt good to just push though the pain and crummy feeling. I will be looking to swipe some more stuff from q leading up to spring champs season - I am interested in joining his gridge with James for the 50 free

Submit "Workout 1/8/12: I'm a little more than useless" to Digg Submit "Workout 1/8/12: I'm a little more than useless" to del.icio.us Submit "Workout 1/8/12: I'm a little more than useless" to StumbleUpon Submit "Workout 1/8/12: I'm a little more than useless" to Google

Updated February 17th, 2012 at 09:36 PM by rxleakem

Tags: lt 50's
Categories
Swim Workouts , LT sets

Comments

I am interested in joining his gridge with James for the 50 free
    Join away...because I'm not ever planning on fulfilling my side of the gridge. The 50 is a wasted event choice for me.

I think the only way I could break 23 for a 50, is if I go out fast enough in the 200 or 500, which will be a cold day somewhere...
    You did fly? Did you hit your head before the set?

Nice times. I assume you got someone to time you?

First person to break 23 gets... bragging rights?
    Your set:
    10 x 50 on 3:00
    - did 3 FR, 1 Fly, 1 Back twice through, with 5 deep water bobs between swims
    - 26.72, 26.94, 27.31, 28.94, 29.50, 27.12, 26.81, 27.06, 29.88, 29.63
    looks suspiciously like what we did on Friday (from Paul's workout thread):
    10 x 50's @ 3:00 best average
    and from my blog entry on Friday:
    main set:
    10 x 50 best avg, done in 3 heats (leaving every minute), so @ 3:00. I was in the first heat, going 10 sec behind
    1-4: breast, times 38, 37, 37, 36
    5: fly 40
    6-8: free 30, 29, 29
    9-10: free w/fins 27, 26

did an easy 50 free after each
    Anyway, that set was painful enough to do with the team, I'd never ever do something like that solo.
    Great job!
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    looks suspiciously like what we did on Friday (from Paul's workout thread):
    Yes, Paul Smith is stealing workout ideas from me. Why the surprise?

That set is probably older than I am and workout crediting really seems to be "last place I saw it" not "original author".
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    I assume you got someone to time you?
    No, I received a finger stopwatch thingy for my birthday last year. I didn't cheat though, I hit start before my feet left the wall and stopped it after I touched the wall.

First person to break 23 gets... bragging rights?
    Yep. You guys want to do it for the 100 and 200 too? I might be close to you both, and James might make a committed effort to swim those races at some point.

As far as the set stealing (and that LT was miserable), I look a lot like this:
    when it comes to checking blogs and workout pages, but I do give credit from the person I took it from. I bet a lot of these are holdovers from high school days, so they must be public domain.
    Quote Originally Posted by rxleakem
    No, I received a finger stopwatch thingy for my birthday last year. I didn't cheat though, I hit start before my feet left the wall and stopped it after I touched the wall.
    I have been meaning to get one of those... for about 3 years now. That is pretty cool. I did you get the chrono 100 that keeps 100 splits?

Yep. You guys want to do it for the 100 and 200 too? I might be close to you both, and James might make a committed effort to swim those races at some point.
    Are you planning on going to Greensboro? My 200 free gridge partner is probably not going to make it because of life.

As far as the set stealing (and that LT was miserable), I look a lot like this:
    when it comes to checking blogs and workout pages, but I do give credit from the person I took it from. I bet a lot of these are holdovers from high school days, so they must be public domain.
    Agreed. I rarely see an innovative set, but I do see innovative ways to do old school sets.

You will have to try the 5x100 with fins at race pace -3 or faster. You will hate me afterwards. Actually during, afterwards you will just be thankful to still be alive and probably have no idea who I am.
    Q, the watch I have is this one from speedo. It has a 175 count memory and an alarm (don't know why it has that, though). I don't think that they make it anymore. My buddy Greg bought this one from Kiefer, which is a better deal and you might be able to get it cheaper if they run a 25% off deal.

They are great help when you are splitting swims because you can look them up after practice. One downfall that we both noticed is that they tend to "die" at different times for no reason - once in the middle of a 1650 it just blanked out, and I lost the splits. Mine can store sets, and gives an average, slow/fastest splits.

I won't be able to make Greensboro either. I will be gunning for the NE champs in mid-March because we are taking a trip to Spain in the middle of April. If I can find a pair of fins, I might try your newest torture set, no promises. If it is anything like the near loss of consciousness that I experienced from the 50's, I may not remember who I am.
    I won't be able to make Greensboro either. I will be gunning for the NE champs in mid-March because we are taking a trip to Spain in the middle of April. If I can find a pair of fins, I might try your newest torture set, no promises. If it is anything like the near loss of consciousness that I experienced from the 50's, I may not remember who I am.
    Eventually I will get one of the finger timers.

We are going to Europe in the middle of April as well, so my target meet is Zones (South Central?) too. I am undecided about going to Greensboro and swimming off events.