View RSS Feed

Random Nonsense

Team Practice with more fins?

Rate this Entry
I wasn't exactly thrilled to see half the workout with fins today.

Warm up
- 2x150 help setup lane ropes
- 200 back
- 4x50 drill/swim
Transition
- 200 free build
- 100 kick with fins
Main Set
- 8x150 on 2:05 held ~1:45
-- fins for the rest of the main set
- 100 kick
- 6x50 on 45 held ~30
- 100 kick
- 4x50 on 40 held 30->28
- 100 kick
- 2x50 on 35 (28,27)
- 100 kick
Cool down
- 200 ez

I swam this purely aerobic today, which I think is the forbidden fruit of using fins as a crutch.

Pulled a muscle in my neck Sunday during the swim (warm up iirc) but it didn't bother me until I woke up this morning. It is sore and annoying but not limiting my range of motion.

I won't be back to team practice for at least a week (January travel), so the next week the goal is to get to a pool and swim a couple times and hopefully I will come back with my body clock screwed up in such a way that it is easy to get to practice.

Submit "Team Practice with more fins?" to Digg Submit "Team Practice with more fins?" to del.icio.us Submit "Team Practice with more fins?" to StumbleUpon Submit "Team Practice with more fins?" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I've done aerobic sets with fins. Unless you're really going slow, they are still building leg strength.

Where is the next happiness jaunt?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I've done aerobic sets with fins. Unless you're really going slow, they are still building leg strength.

Where is the next happiness jaunt?
    The fins were put to good use on the 50 swims, but I slacked a bit on the 100 kicks.

Singapore and Hong Kong.
    Jealous. Very jealous.
    using fins as a crutch
    -- fins for the rest of the main set
    I have a couple of good equipment recommendation(s) for you for when the sets become too challenging and you need fins to keep up.

swim fins

mono fin
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    The fins were put to good use on the 50 swims, but I slacked a bit on the 100 kicks.

Singapore and Hong Kong.
    Is LW going with you this time? Are you on AA? Biz? Planning to swim over there? Suddenly there's some good fares starting to show up for 2012.

Maybe I'll try some of this kicking during my next solo swim, probably Thurs, at the outdoor Hamilton pool. I need all the air I can get when I use fins
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Jealous. Very jealous.
    Sorry about that. I will let LW tell you what she was actually able to eat on the trip when we get back.
    Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver
    I have a couple of good equipment recommendation(s) for you for when the sets become too challenging and you need fins to keep up.

swim fins

mono fin
    I am glad you always have my back quick.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Is LW going with you this time? Are you on AA? Biz? Planning to swim over there? Suddenly there's some good fares starting to show up for 2012.

Maybe I'll try some of this kicking during my next solo swim, probably Thurs, at the outdoor Hamilton pool. I need all the air I can get when I use fins
    CX F, and that is how I convinced LW to go.

I would like to make it to one of the real pools there, but I don't know if it will happen. None are close to where we are staying and none are close to the MRT. The Hyatt's pool is decent sized, but not the 25M that I had access to the first time. Hopefully I can make it to Kowloon Park, that is only about 10 minutes walk from the hotel

If you see a cheap fare to SIN, you should join us.

Good idea for the open air venue for the fin workout.
    I wasn't exactly thrilled to see half the workout with fins today
    Should've just done the workout without the fins. Those intervals are pretty doable without fins.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Should've just done the workout without the fins. Those intervals are pretty doable without fins.
    I don't know, do you really think I could make 50s on a 45 without fins? SIX times?

It was good to try something new and today, doing the workout with fins I worked harder than I would have without fins.
    My apologies. Fin practices can be quite challenging. (Mr. Aguageek missed out on your blog today and I was picking up the slack for him.)

BTW, I will miss your witty blog in the coming months. It's a pleasant mix of humor combined with informative swimming sets which the every man (and woman) can relate to.
    My apologies. Fin practices can be quite challenging. (Mr. Aguageek missed out on your blog today and I was picking up the slack for him.)

BTW, I will miss your witty blog in the coming months. It's a pleasant mix of humor combined with informative swimming sets which the every man (and woman) can relate to.
    I didn't miss it. The workout was rather vanilla and I didn't see the point of the fins. On those intervals why use them at all? Q can easily hold 28s or 29s on :45 int w/o fins.

Thank you for apologizing Quick, I do have trouble dealing with jokes.

Which one of us is going to be missing in the coming months? I will probably stop blogging after Zones, but that is still a while out. I will only be in Asia for a week.
    Quote Originally Posted by aquageek
    I didn't miss it. The workout was rather vanilla and I didn't see the point of the fins. On those intervals why use them at all? Q can easily hold 28s or 29s on :45 int w/o fins.
    The given intervals were even more restful, and I think the point was to go FAST. Not what I was interested in that day.

Even my mother does not believe in me enough to think I can easily hold 28s and 29s on 45, but I do appreciate the faith.
    I don't think what I'm going to say will make me popular but this workout and fin workouts in general are very challenging for most swimmers to master, and therefore mostly fall into the junk yardage category for me. It's not that I don't see great value in them, if done correctly. But, more often than not I see people slap on fins to make an interval or fail to swim the set as prescribed using the fins.

I think the basic problem is that fins can make a workout either both easier and harder, which is kind of unique. I know two people (Fort and a stud at our club) who do fin work properly.

And, I've never seen a triathlete use fins correctly, ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by aquageek
    mostly fall into the junk yardage category for me.
    If you don't compete in an event where kicking is used, I am not sure I could think of a reason to use fins for non-technique work that wouldn't be junk.

I do think your view of "all true training is distance training" is a rather narrow view and you tend to label "junk to you" as "junk for all".
    If you don't compete in an event where kicking is used, I am not sure I could think of a reason to use fins for non-technique work that wouldn't be junk.

I do think your view of "all true training is distance training" is a rather narrow view and you tend to label "junk to you" as "junk for all".
    I'm not sure what prompted the slam. You yourself didn't do the fin workout correctly. When I see a fin workout I know that means go harder and faster than what I could swim without. I mean, cmon, holding 30s on 6 X 50 @ :45, that's cake with fins.

And, I kick plenty on my events. I also probably train as many sprint workouts a week as a sprinter but that doesn't mean I really enjoy them.

I still contend that the vast majority of swimmers don't do fin workouts correctly.

And, it is true, that distance is the only pure form of swim training. It is written in stone, just confirmed with knelson.
    Updated January 10th, 2012 at 12:40 PM by aquageek
    Thank you for apologizing Quick, I do have trouble dealing with jokes.

Which one of us is going to be missing in the coming months? I will probably stop blogging after Zones, but that is still a while out. I will only be in Asia for a week.
    You're welcome. No more comments which involve hello kitty or foot wear. If it makes you feel any better I wear boat shoes year round with no socks. It's a unique look, especially in 20 degree weather.

For some reason I though that your previous travels to the Far East lasted for quite some time. In the interim I'll still be here...gleaning blogs for helpful training formulas. One of these days I might show up at a real swim meet that last for three days.
    No more comments which involve hello kitty or foot wear. If it makes you feel any better I wear boat shoes year round with no socks.
    Our hatred of the Muggs and love of the sockless docksiders might make us twins separated at birth, along with our harassment of Lady Q.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast