View RSS Feed

Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine

WCWC Mini Meet 1/22/12

Rate this Entry
Took the short three hour drive to Salem, NH, to swim at a mini meet this afternoon. I said hi to forumite mrubacky and watched him swim a great 500. I also ran into my buddy Jim from the Cape, as well as meeting other folks there for a really nice meet.

Here are my posted times from the meet:
- 200 IM (goal: 2:16.72) - went 2:22.04
-- well off my goal, but I haven't swam this in 20 years and I guess doubling my 100 IM and adding ~10% failed. (At least I beat the high school kid from last week ) Splits were:
29.17, 1:04.80(35.63), 1:52.74(47.94), 2:22.04(29.30)

- 50 FR (goal: 24.94) - went 24.25
- 50 BR (goal: 38.77) - went 38.13
- 50 FLY (goal: 27.86) - went 27.07
- 50 BK (goal: 28.46- - went 28.22

The swims felt good (surprised myself with the fly), and an amazing thing is that the meet was over with in less than one hour! I knew that my conditioning is not the greatest, and I have not done much speed work so the times were in the ballpark of where I would expect my training to be at this time. (Total swimming for the day ~ 1900yds)

I will be registering for the Harvard meet this week, still figuring out which events to swim. Last year I entered six, and I am thinking of eight or ten this year - depending. One Hour swim before the end of the month as I incorporate more speed work into my routine.

Submit "WCWC Mini Meet 1/22/12" to Digg Submit "WCWC Mini Meet 1/22/12" to del.icio.us Submit "WCWC Mini Meet 1/22/12" to StumbleUpon Submit "WCWC Mini Meet 1/22/12" to Google

Updated February 3rd, 2012 at 12:19 PM by rxleakem (Updating swim times from meet)

Categories
Masters Swim Meets / Events

Comments

Very good times, especially considering it was all done in under an hour!
    I wish I could double my 200 IM time and add 10% for my 400 IM. That would be cool!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    considering it was all done in under an hour!
    Thanks. Twice I forgot where I put my glasses down because I was running around between the blocks and the warmdown lane!

It was great to get some times down and also have my son tape a few races (I'll post them during the week).
    Nice showing at the meet, despite the 200 IM, looks like beat most of your goals!
    yes, sounds like a great meet...especially considering it was all done in an hour. plus leading off with a 200 IM
    Great swims!
    Quote Originally Posted by jswim
    looks like beat most of your goals!
    Thanks! I am happy with these times. I have some good feedback on where I need to focus my training - I am going to keep with longer sets for another two or so weeks, then turn up the dial on speed work. Soon you'll be beating me in the 500 with all those pwb workouts you're doing!

Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    yes, sounds like a great meet...especially considering it was all done in an hour. plus leading off with a 200 IM
    You should set your eyes at giving it a shot, Tim. My time was closer to my 100IM meter time x2 from BU. Might be able to shave off a few seconds if I can figure out how to swim breaststroke.

Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    Great swims!
    Thanks, Kirk! My wife snapped some pictures that I will add to my album once she lets me borrow her sd card.
    Quote Originally Posted by rxleakem

You should set your eyes at giving it a shot, Tim. My time was closer to my 100IM meter time x2 from BU. Might be able to shave off a few seconds if I can figure out how to swim breaststroke.
    I think I feel about fly the same way you do with breaststroke. I can fumble through a 25 fly, and hopefully eventually a 50. Maybe later this year I'll be able to do a 200 IM...just have to make sure I have plenty of recovery time before my next event. Right now, my 50 fly is slower than my 50 breast.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    I think I feel about fly the same way you do with breaststroke. I can fumble through a 25 fly, and hopefully eventually a 50. Maybe later this year I'll be able to do a 200 IM...just have to make sure I have plenty of recovery time before my next event. Right now, my 50 fly is slower than my 50 breast.
    And I feel about the same with backstroke!! Other than an active cooldown after the fly in an IM event, I really don't find a good use for backstroke!!