Team Practice SCY - Aerobic
Warm up - 1300 various stuff
Main Set
- 400 free
- 5x150 on 2:00
- 400 pull
- 5x150 on 2:00
Cool down - 200 ez

Josh's 100 pace was about 5 seconds faster than mine today. My stroke felt sloppy and weak.

In Friday's blog I mentioned that I thought I was getting a sinus infection. Whatever it was went from "I think" to "full blown" in about 8 hours. Luckily, it came on fast and hard and left pretty quickly as well. Monday I could have probably made it to practice and done just as well as I did today, it is just really hard to wake up at 4am from a cold medicine induced deep sleep. That, and I am lazy.

Sixteen days out of the water is a big step backwards. I feel like I need to add back a big dose of aerobic before getting back to the sprint and LT work. If I am going to take another Asia trip next January, I am seriously considering training for Long Beach SCM next year instead.

I will be attending the Intensive Training Camp in Walnut Creek unless my application is denied for some reason.

Submit "Did I fumble the season?" to Digg Submit "Did I fumble the season?" to del.icio.us Submit "Did I fumble the season?" to StumbleUpon Submit "Did I fumble the season?" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

16 days is a long time ... Your focus meet is mid-April? I'd do a few aerobic workouts and then launch back in. I don't think a "big dose" is needed. But you need to regain feel before launching sprints.
    Heck, you better be prepared for the Walnut Creek camp! I'd love to do that some year. I'm sure it's a blast. Did you sign up for the "extended" version with the Dr. G testing?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    16 days is a long time ... Your focus meet is mid-April? I'd do a few aerobic workouts and then launch back in. I don't think a "big dose" is needed. But you need to regain feel before launching sprints.
    March 30 - April 1

I will probably hold off on attempting a sprint workout until next weekend timeframe.
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    Heck, you better be prepared for the Walnut Creek camp! I'd love to do that some year. I'm sure it's a blast. Did you sign up for the "extended" version with the Dr. G testing?
    I am a little worried about Friday. My flight potentially allows me to make my local masters practice, the WCM noon practice, Dr G stroke testing, evening stroke school. I should sleep well that night.

Totally yardage for the day is supposed to be 6-8k. I wouldn't want to do it today, but two weeks ago, it would have been a non-issue.

Yes, definitely doing the extended.
    I've done the Walnut Creek camp twice, sort of. Kerry flew to Charlotte and did the same clinic here. It was fantastic. You will be dead tired by Sunday but you are in plenty good enough shape.

Your coach is obsessed by 150s. I think you've done more 150s the past three months than I've done my entire life.
    Quote Originally Posted by aquageek
    I've done the Walnut Creek camp twice, sort of. Kerry flew to Charlotte and did the same clinic here. It was fantastic. You will be dead tired by Sunday but you are in plenty good enough shape.

Your coach is obsessed by 150s. I think you've done more 150s the past three months than I've done my entire life.
    Interesting. Does he frequently do that? Flying east is easier on my body clock than flying west since I keep early hours, and I would consider flying to Charlotte for a future clinic.

I think you are right about the 150s, he assigns them all the time.
    Why would your application be denied? That sounds like a great opportunity.

What are your goals for the meet? Have fun, get times? Get top 10s or pb's?

I did a meet last July about a month after my trip to Rome. I swam just maintenance while in Rome, in an overheated 25m hotel pool. But then I made some very nice advances (for me) at that meet, after a month+ of solid training with the team.

Does your team not have sprint-focused days? I look a your workouts when you post them, but it doesn't seem the team workouts have much of a pattern.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Why would your application be denied? That sounds like a great opportunity.
    It is a mailed application, so the only concern I have is the camp filling up with CAers before my TX one makes it.

What are your goals for the meet? Have fun, get times? Get top 10s or pb's?
    Master's PBs and I think my goals are fairly aggressive. The 50 and 100 are close to lifetime PB.
    - 50 free: 23 low
    - 100 free: 50 mid
    - 200 free: 1:54

Does your team not have sprint-focused days? I look a your workouts when you post them, but it doesn't seem the team workouts have much of a pattern.
    This year Wednesday are higher volume and there will be two sprint days a month. I would say prior, there wasn't a pattern, but the yardage was always about the same. It is hard to come up with a useful pattern with 12 practices a month.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Interesting. Does he frequently do that? Flying east is easier on my body clock than flying west since I keep early hours, and I would consider flying to Charlotte for a future clinic.

I think you are right about the 150s, he assigns them all the time.
    I'm not sure if he does the camps nationwide. This was spearheaded by a USMS member here in Charlotte who knows Kerry well. I think you will have a great time.

I'm terrified of taking a lot of time off in mid season. It would be interesting if you did some sort of "reconditioning crash course" for 2 weeks to see if you could return to form. I've heard 21 days is when the serious damage gets done.
    I
    I'm terrified of taking a lot of time off in mid season. It would be interesting if you did some sort of "reconditioning crash course" for 2 weeks to see if you could return to form. I've heard 21 days is when the serious damage gets done.
    You're terrified of taking time off, even a day off, ever.
    You're terrified of taking time off, even a day off, ever.
    I am actually taking two days off a week now. And by off, I mean 100% nothing, or maybe that is 0% nothing.
    I am actually taking two days off a week now. And by off, I mean 100% nothing, or maybe that is 0% nothing.
    Really?! What prompted this? An epiphany that recovery is important? And will you do this during tri season?
    Really?! What prompted this? An epiphany that recovery is important? And will you do this during tri season?
    I don't see myself doing tris again this year, too many good swim events on the calendar.

I only rarely will do 6X/week anyway. My workouts have gotten longer and harder than years past and I just flat need some sleep. Advil seems to help also.
    My workouts have gotten longer and harder than years past and I just flat need some sleep.
    Old age and poor beer choices are catching up with you too.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Old age and poor beer choices are catching up with you too.
    Go do some 150s.
    My coach likes 150s, too. A couple months ago I knew we'd be doing an aerobic set at the end of practice and I said "let me guess, 10x150." He was shocked I somehow 'guessed' the set. Dude, we do 150s all the time, it wasn't that hard!